Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 20:33   #1
BHPian

2014 VW Polo 1.2 TSI shows "BS III" in the PUC certificate

I have a 2014 Polo GT 1.2 TSI manufactured and registered in Nov 2014 in Thane, Maharashtra.

With the start of new type PUC being issued somewhere in 2020, I noticed that the validity of the PUC for the polo was only six months and the emission norms are mentioned as BS III. This also means that the registration records of my car with the RTO has wrong information regarding the emission norms.

I have a Swift Zxi (March 2012) which complies with BS IV emission norms and I get a PUC certificate with a validity of 1 year.

Until the new type PUC certificate was being issued, I had no idea that my car is registered as BS III with the RTO. There was no way for an owner to find the emission norms in the vehicle's registration certificate until new type of PUC certificates were started.

I reached out to the VW dealer service in my town to find which emission norms does a Polo GT TSI conforms to. As expected, they confirmed that the Polo GT TSI is a BS IV vehicle and there must have been an error on the part of the dealer or the clerk at the RTO while making entry.

The problem is that the dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle wrapped up operations by 2016 and the new dealer has no intention to help.

A lot of convincing was required to get the information regarding the emission norms compliance from them.

The picture below is the only information that the dealer has provided me, and it is not convincing enough to be presented as maker's confirmation about the official emission norms of my car.

Though I have put up an application with the RTO for correction in the records, I have a little doubt that the application might get rejected due to lack of a proper document from the maker confirming the emission norms of this particular make and model of vehicle.

Request you to please advise how should I proceed with getting the official records corrected in case in need to pursue further.

Thank you.

Request to mods, please move the post to advice section.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 VW Polo 1.2 TSI shows "BS III" in the PUC certificate-whatsapp-image-20230424-5.18.44-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Brumby : 30th April 2023 at 20:49.
Brumby is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 09:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2014 VW Polo 1.2 TSI shows "BS III" in the PUC certificate

Mod Note: Thread moved to Tech Stuff!
Old 1st May 2023, 10:38   #3
BHPian

This is a problem at many places in India. Although BS4 was applied in atleast 13 cities in India in 2012 itself. But RTO systems were updated in 2017 only when BS4 was applied nation wide. hence cars were registered as BS3 only despite being BS4 only for lack of options in the software.
In Noida, Ghaziabad all the cars registered from 2012 to 2017 were registered as BS3 only despite being BS4.
I too faced this difficulty while selling of my car 2014 Fluidic Verna Diesel. Most RTOs in India don't allow re-registration of BS3 cars while ownership transfer. Ghaziabad RTO accepted that all cars registered in Delhi NCR from 2012 onwards are BS4 only as it's mandatory as per Government orders, so their is no need for confirmation from anyone. Just write a mail to Lucknow head office and they will take around 2/3 months to correct it. In my case it took 2months to correct it.
drsachin is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 11:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
This is a problem at many places in India. Although BS4 was applied in atleast 13 cities in India in 2012 itself. But RTO systems were updated in 2017 only when BS4 was applied nation wide. hence cars were registered as BS3 only despite being BS4 only for lack of options in the software.
Probably that explains why my 2011 Delhi registered BS4 compliant car shows up as BS3 compliant when I transferred it to Maharashtra last year.
RTO has still not been able to update it to BS4 in their records!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 13:10   #5
BHPian

This is a problem with the RTO with all 2017 prior cars being shown as BSIII.My 2015 Aspire tdci (140000km +) too shows the same during PUC renewal.
Not taking much tension about resale registration etc as I am not going to part with this gem of an engine till registration ends....
Old 1st May 2023, 13:21   #6
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

You are doing the right thing.

My friend had his Auraiya Registered car have these details corrected from Lucknow RTO after a lot of running around.

He had to obtain the factory PUC test certificate that is issued to the dealer for every new car and submit a copy of that to the RTO along with an application for correction.

Just wondering, if the dealer shut shop, who could help you out here? Maybe an RTI, but it has to be worded in a way that the RTO itself has the onus to find old records for when the car was first registered?
Maybe find a nice CRM from VW higher up in the escalation matrix, like an area manager etc. and build a rapport rather than framing it in a harsh tone.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 14:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
In Noida, Ghaziabad all the cars registered from 2012 to 2017 were registered as BS3 only despite being BS4.
I too faced this difficulty while selling of my car 2014 Fluidic Verna Diesel. Most RTOs in India don't allow re-registration of BS3 cars while ownership transfer. Ghaziabad RTO accepted that all cars registered in Delhi NCR from 2012 onwards are BS4 only as it's mandatory as per Government orders, so their is no need for confirmation from anyone. Just write a mail to Lucknow head office and they will take around 2/3 months to correct it. In my case it took 2months to correct it.
Did you submit any documents stating the emission norms of the vehicle, if yes, from where could you get that document.

The owner's manual for the Polo does not mention anything about the emission norms that the car complies with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedocgb View Post
This is a problem with the RTO with all 2017 prior cars being shown as BSIII.My 2015 Aspire tdci (140000km +) too shows the same during PUC renewal.
Not taking much tension about resale registration etc as I am not going to part with this gem of an engine till registration ends....
I am concerned because the information in the official records of my vehicle is not correct.

Last edited by Brumby : 1st May 2023 at 14:12.
Old 1st May 2023, 19:51   #8
BHPian

I got my RC updated twice.

Mine is a 2014 registered car with two mistakes on the original RC.
1. My car is Fluidic Verna Diesel SX(O). But it was wrongly mentioned as Sx in the RC. This was corrected in 2017. At that time the Ghaziabad RTO incharge was my patient. He asked his clerk to search for the file and they took just 30mins to locate it. The file had the original Form 22 with correct details in it. They accepted the mistake corrected the model details and issued updated RC. At that time their system were still not updated with new Emission norms.

2. The second mistake BS4 was updated in March 2023 only when i wanted to sell of car. This time there was a new incharge who wanted to help but was helpless to the locate the file again as most of his staff were new too. But he suggested that since in Ghaziabad as per government orders all cars registered since 2010 are BS4 only , so their is no need for any proof . We just sent the mail to Lucknow RTO office and they corrected the mistake in around 2months.

So i would suggest just go the RTO office and may take help of an agent or an official who may locate the original file. Form 22 will definitely help emission norm details. If they are not able to locate file you may still send mail to head office Of your RTO
drsachin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:32   #9
BHPian

Yep, had this issue in Mumbai with my 2015 Baleno as well. No such issues on my 2017 Safari Storme which shows BS4.
Apart from requiring PUC every 6 months, there is no other problems. Service centres know it's bs4, car dealers know it's bs4, so no problems anywhere else.
puneetakhouri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 22:23   #10

I have a 2015 Swift registered in MH for which RC clearly says that it is BS IV, but the PUC always says BSIII and has to be renewed every 6 months. A couple of PUC Center folks told me that this is due to the software glitch/manual error at the time when I procured my first PUC but can only be rectified at RTO. I wasn’t fully convinced with that reasoning but didn’t pursue it further since RC has BS IV mentioned. Only drawback is 6 months validity of PUC instead of 1 year.
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
So, we can send an email to Lucknow head office even for cars registered in Gurgaon? I am facing the same issue with my 2017 diesel Vento. I have the old PUC’s with me and it states BS4, but the new PUC’s show BS3. A few PUC center’s in Delhi (around Dwarka) refused to get the PUC done stating that this is a BS3 vehicle.
Old 3rd May 2023, 09:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti85 View Post
I wasn’t fully convinced with that reasoning but didn’t pursue it further since RC has BS IV mentioned. Only drawback is 6 months validity of PUC instead of 1 year.
Please do check the RC details on Vahan portal.
For me, even though the model is mentioned as BS4, but the BS stage is mentioned as BS3! That is how I first noticed the anomaly.

2014 VW Polo 1.2 TSI shows "BS III" in the PUC certificate-rc.jpg

Rather than 6 months PUC validity, I am more concerned about future renewal of registration post 15 year period. You never know when they stop renewing registration for BS3 and older vehicles.
This was the sole reason we re-registered the vehicle in Pune, else would have sold it off in Delhi itself.
vaasu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 12:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the exact same situation with my Polo 1.2 GT TSI also. But then - I have worked out a solution so far with the PUC station. I could see that in their application (web-based) - the person had a drop-down for emission norms applicable to the car (I expected it to be read only and the norms to be downloaded from online registry. But - it was editable!).

The drop down had options - BS3, BS4, BS3/4. When I discussed and explained to the attendant - he agreed to select BS3/4 in the drop-down menu, and the PUC certificate that I got now - is valid for 12 months.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 21:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Please do check the RC details on Vahan portal.
For me, even though the model is mentioned as BS4, but the BS stage is mentioned as BS3! That is how I first noticed the anomaly.

Attachment 2446577

Rather than 6 months PUC validity, I am more concerned about future renewal of registration post 15 year period. You never know when they stop renewing registration for BS3 and older vehicles.
This was the sole reason we re-registered the vehicle in Pune, else would have sold it off in Delhi itself.
Exactly the reason I am concerned. BS III vehicles will be earlier in the queue in case there are bans/limitations implemented by the government. Unless the official records say so, it will be hard to convince the authorities.

Cheers
Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 16:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
....select BS3/4 in the drop-down menu, and the PUC certificate that I got now - is valid for 12 months.
So the PUC is not connected to the RTO Database or did you need to edit the page source code?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks