Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 10:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Uneven Tyre Wear?

Each rear wheel, in a front wheel drive car is independently sprung. The suspension components have to ensure that the wheel moves only vertically. As it is difficult to design suspension which moves only vertically, normal suspension moves in an arc, hence the camber and toe-in settings change as the wheel moves up and down. The nominal settings make sure that the wheel sits "true" when the car has a "normal" load on a flat road surface. In an accident or due to wear and tear, part or whole of the suspension mechanism can move/rotate to change these settings, resulting in abnormal tyre wear.
Old 14th October 2011, 17:31   #17

Re: Back tyre wearing out quickly

I have checked the alignment and it is in order but the shock absorber on that wheel left side rear is weak and has an oil leak could that be causing the uneven tyre wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju.bala View Post
I have a swift VXI which has covered 56,000 Kms and is running on its original set of tyres. Now the rear left tyre has started wearing out quickly. Wheel balancing and alignment was checked recently. Please advice what the possible reasons could be .

Thanks in advance
Old 16th October 2011, 23:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back tyre wearing out quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju.bala View Post
I have checked the alignment and it is in order but the shock absorber on that wheel left side rear is weak and has an oil leak could that be causing the uneven tyre wear
If the Shock Absorber is leaking then get it changed ASAP . If your car is under warranty, you will get Free Replacement.

Also check for Rear Suspension Bushes if they have developed play in them. If so get them replaced too.

I don't think Swift has Independent Rear Suspension. So no alignment for Rear is needed.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:49   #19
BHPian

Unusual wearing of tyres of my Chevy Spark

Hello Bhpians!

My spark has completed 40k on stock tyres. All the four tyres are worn out from the one side (the side facing the car) while the other side is alright. Its strange
I do not know if this normal. What can be the reason?
And which tyres to go for now.
I reuire your quick response as i was planning to buy today.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:54   #20
BHPian

Re: Unusual wearing of tyres of my Chevy Spark

have you done wheel balancing and alignment in these 40k Km ?
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
have you done wheel balancing and alignment in these 40k Km ?
Yes. Its even strange if i tell you that i have got the wheel alignment and balancing regularly.
In last say 10 months or so, it has been done almost thrice and every time the caster was out.
is there something wrong with suspensions??
I dont feel anything while driving, no clutter from suspension, it takes on the bumps properly.
one thing that i noticed is the road noise has started filtering in the cabin more.
I guess after i got it converted to CNG.
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-phile View Post
I do not know if this normal. What can be the reason?
Most common reason is incorrect toe setting. Get an alignment done.

And, if toe settings are correct, then the reason could be suspension components worn out, or camber adjustment. Check the ball joints, lower arm bushes, and springs/dampers. As these will also cause camber to change, and hence one side tyre wear.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Some of the OE tyres are likely to give such shoddy performance and by the by which make are they. Where they rotated every 5K or 10 K ?
Do a complete alignment and suspension check up and settle for new ones.
The pattern of car usage also determines tyre life and performance.
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Some of the OE tyres are likely to give such shoddy performance and by the by which make are they. Where they rotated every 5K or 10 K ?
Do a complete alignment and suspension check up and settle for new ones.
The pattern of car usage also determines tyre life and performance.
the tyres MRF. my driving is in and out of delhi, mostly to gurgaon with poor road conditions.
Alignment was done regularly with tyre rotation in every service.
Do the tyre dealers do the alignment and suspension check up as well?
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the tyres MRF. my driving is in and out of delhi, mostly to gurgaon with poor road conditions.
Alignment was done regularly with tyre rotation in every service.
Do the tyre dealers do the alignment and suspension check up as well?
Perhaps the run through bad broken tarmacs and pot holes could alter the alignment. Go for better tyres next time and afford the marginal higher price of such tyres.
Tyre dealers, now most of them have alignment machines but for a comprehensive suspension set up checks you need to go to a brand Service center or other garages of repute.
Still I feel that 40K on OE tyres are fairly OK.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd June 2012 at 14:38.
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps the run through bad broken tarmacs and pot holes could alter the alignment. Go for better tyres next time and afford the marginal higher price of such tyres.
Tyre dealers, now most of them have alignment machines but for a comprehensive suspension set up checks you need to go to a brand Service center or other garages of repute.
Still I feel that 40K on OE tyres are fairly OK.
Hello, Thanks.
I just did a bit of research and found out that Michellin and Bridgestone are the best. Getting it done from Carnation.

I hope these tyres are fine and the Carnation, i believe is a good brand.
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Thanks.
I just did a bit of research and found out that Michellin and Bridgestone are the best. Getting it done from Carnation. I hope these tyres are fine and the Carnation, i believe is a good brand.
I also feel the two brands are good ones and would give a better ride than the OE MRFs. Which type were those MRFs?
Regarding carnation have a second opinion about the Delhi center before leaving the car there because I have seen some bad experiences with Carnation in this forum. Purchasing tyres from some reputed tyre dealer would be the best as you can get fresh stocks and a competitive price and perhaps when you buy 4 tyres they may offer a free of cost tyre alignment check and correction. corrections
If your car's suspension is not making any abnormal noise and the feel is fine simple check up at a chevvy dealership can also be thought of.
Wishing you a fine and smiling drive on new tyres.
Is your car covered under the three year free maintenance package?

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd June 2012 at 17:03.
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I also feel the two brands are good ones and would give a better ride than the OE MRFs. Which type were those MRFs?
Regarding carnation have a second opinion about the Delhi center before leaving the car there because I have seen some bad experiences with Carnation in this forum. Purchasing tyres from some reputed tyre dealer would be the best as you can get fresh stocks and a competitive price and perhaps when you buy 4 tyres they may offer a free of cost tyre alignment check and correction. corrections
If your car's suspension is not making any abnormal noise and the feel is fine simple check up at a chevvy dealership can also be thought of.
Wishing you a fine and smiling drive on new tyres.
Is your car covered under the three year free maintenance package?
Hello
I just got new bridgestone tyres (not michellin as they r softer and since my driving is more on rough roads of Gurgaon) through carnation and the alignment, balancing was complimentary. I work in Magneti Marelli with which Carnation has a joint venture so i go there for service.
But i have a habit of sticking around my car and see what and how they service it.
And yes i had the three year maintenance pack but my car now is more than 3 years old.
car-o-phile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Uneven Tyre Wear?

Quote:
...40k on stock tyres. All the four tyres are worn out from the one side (the side facing the car) while the other side is alright.
Are you running stock rims or after-market alloys?
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:11   #30
BHPian

Re: Uneven Tyre Wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Are you running stock rims or after-market alloys?
hey!
these are still stock rims

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks