Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:35   #16
BHPian

Could the quality of the side impact protection beams along with the gauge of the metal contribute to the "thud" sound?
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:45   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

LOL! Hilarious thread and yet one that makes sense. Simply put, Good "thud" = Solid door = Solid build and sheet metal.

I think it originated from the original Mercs (think 70's and 80's) which had a very distinctive "thud" when closed. With time, people just started equating that with a solid build. Most European cars will shut with a strong "thud" due to the heavy sheet metal used.
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:48   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Terrific man, your friend's car should be taken back by fiat for R&D purposes. The 1.6 will sell like hot cakes if it can manage that.
Where is Fiat R&D? And yes the car is capable of that mileage on highways. So should everyone go and join R&D's of companies whose cars give them a certain kmpl figure?
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Where is Fiat R&D? And yes the car is capable of that mileage on highways. So should everyone go and join R&D's of companies whose cars give them a certain kmpl figure?
sorry if it hurt you that bad moralfibre, i go by real figures & the figures quoted by people around me do not even suggest anything close to that. the closest was bottle's brand new stile 1.6 at 13.5kmpl. about your question on joining R&D, yes, most certainly, if you can come up with a figure that is more than what is claimed by the company, you should, though it is your choice. chill
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Now there is nothing to prove here. But Guys the 1.6 gives you what you ask for. You can drive it like hell asking for every bit of power and zoom around getting F.E figures of 6-7 km/l but you would never feel underpowered even for a moment.

On the other hand try Keeping it under 90km mark on highways and drive smoothly. I get just above 15km/l on my adventure 1.6. So i guess the GTX should give even more due to its less wight.
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

another thing that i have with thud is the luxurious build.

SUVs, trucks close with a loud thud (close to bang). so does maruti 800, because of lack of enough insulation.

luxury calls have a soft thud, even if heavy. Also, if the car is airtight (all windows closed), it is much softer, compared to windows open.
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

My friends GTX gives him around 16-17 kmpl when driven sanely on highways, keeping the speed below 100-110 kph and driving as much as possible on engine torque.
Cant blame the car for low FE if you want to have all the fun and still want better mileage and while we are at it, that reassuring 'thud' too ;-)
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

The thud sound will let u close ur eyes and tell if a car is Japanese build or European.. (slighly difficult to guess if its American or Korean though)..

My Baleno's door close sounds like bathroom slippers slapping on the floor.. not very reassuring... I tell u

Last edited by spadival : 23rd July 2007 at 19:09. Reason: stupid spelling mistakes
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
My Baleno's door close sounds like bathroom slippers slapping on the floor.. not very reassuring... I tell u
ROTFLMAO..... the thud is still better than any other maruti though, except SX4.
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:29   #25
BHPian

the sound is just an indicator of 'probable' good build. the sheet metal gauge, the insulation, the fit. crappy quality standards can never produce a good thump, and it reflects on that too.

yet, a good thud is just that, and no more. better thud does not simply imply better safety. surely many other factors determine how safe a car is, and the thud just helps you love your car all the more.
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
sorry if it hurt you that bad moralfibre,
No it didn't hurt but it could have been put in a better way.

Quote:
i go by real figures & the figures quoted by people around me do not even suggest anything close to that.
Have you read my reviews? The car does give that FE if you restrict yourself. Did you read McLaren's thread on how to get 15 kmpl from the Baleno? Is that possible? I haven't heard Baleno's getting that FE in city but the way he put it is believable.
Quote:
the closest was bottle's brand new stile 1.6 at 13.5kmpl.
City or Highway?

Quote:
about your question on joining R&D, yes, most certainly, if you can come up with a figure that is more than what is claimed by the company, you should, though it is your choice. chill
Chill too . R&D is a distant dream for most of us here. Getting a good FE doesn't qualify you to be there.
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

More than anything else, its the thickness of the sheet or gage, and how well the door sealing/locking mechanism is what the "THUD" is all about, rest is placebo effect.
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:59   #28
Team-BHP Support

People. Enough of this GTX mileage thing now... please get back to the topic in hand. If you want to claim or contest the claims of the GTX or for that matter any other car's FE figures there is a separate thread available on the forum for doing just that. This thread is not an FE figures thread and more specifically it is not on any specific brand of cars either.

No more hijacking of this thread please.
Old 19th August 2009, 01:03   #29
BHPian

Bump:

I've noticied this rubberized-door-shut which sounds "thump/shubb/thunk" (no matter how hard you shut it) in many cars like swift, getz, ritz, the newer hatches to the saloons.
My santro xing lacks this, all i hear is this unpleasent "thud" when the door is shut a little hard and i hate it, Is there anyway i can make my car's door slam sound "thump/shubb/thunk" rubber seals/insulation or anything?

Talking about the build quality, Santro is a lot better than swift so i think, some sort of rubber seal or something comes to play here, not the build quality!

P.S- my car is 11months old and i advise all the occupants not to slam the door. So there are no damages.

Last edited by akshay_b : 19th August 2009 at 01:14.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:16   #30
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Is there anyway i can make my car's door slam sound "thump/shubb/thunk" rubber seals/insulation or anything?
akshay,

The Santro's door thunk is much better than most cars in its and even above its class. If you still want a much more firm sound, you can think of some using some rubber matting on the insides of the door. There is a great thread in the DIY section and you can check it out.

There are also options like Dynamat and Noisekill that are more expensive.

BTW, but telling the passengers not to slam the door, you are actually doing your car doors a lot of good.

Cheers,
gpa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks