Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2023, 18:18   #1
BHPian

VW Taigun steering wheel shakes, drags to the right

Hi all,

I noticed this in my last highway trip but didn't get around to posting it here.

I have a Taigun 1.0L TSI AT from Dec 2021. It has gone through the regular servicing and then some, for minor issues. But I noticed that the steering wheel shake pretty visibly when the car touches 100kmph.

Being a sedate driver, I don't usually get to triple digit speeds but in the few instances that I did, I could literally feel this shake up in my shoulders. I wish I had a video but couldn't record one for obvious reasons.

Also, I had posted (Volkswagen Taigun Review) here sometime back on a pronounced drift to the left. I had this checked out at my tyre center. They did an alignment adjustment and it went away. But now I see that there is a drift happening to the RIGHT when I hold the steering wheel visually centered to the dash display.

Now I am beginning to wonder if there is a bigger problem to address or if it is again a wheel alignment + balancing issue which is causing both the drift and the steering wheel shake at high speed.

Has anyone else had a problem with their VW vehicles like this? I am planning to take my vehicle back to the tyre store tomorrow to check the wheels and the alignment + balancing. But I am not sure if they can also identify if there is an issue with the bearings, calipers etc. in which case it is one more trip to the ASC.

Any inputs on this would be greatly appreciated.
asmr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 18:25   #2
BANNED

re: VW Taigun steering wheel shakes, drags to the right

I strongly recommend you taking the vehicle to a MRF Tyredrome - there are 2 to my knowledge in Chennai - one in Alwarpet and another in Adayar, and get a tyre rotation, wheel balance + alignment there.

Also do their suspension and road safety checks - that should clue you in if there is a suspension or braking issue that may be causing your shudder. It’s most likely due to bad wheel balance and alignment - from what you have described and MRF Tyredrome will sort it out. No harm in getting the road safety and suspension check as well while you are at it.

If there is a more serious underlaying issue, the technicians in MRF Tyredrome are well trained and will spot it.

Last edited by Yesterdaysnews : 9th August 2023 at 18:30.
Yesterdaysnews is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 18:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterdaysnews View Post
I strongly recommend you taking the vehicle to a MRF Tyredrome... If there is a more serious underlaying issue, the technicians in MRF Tyredrome are well trained and will spot it.
I usually go to Lal Enterprises on Lloyds road for anything related to my cars' (Taigun and Santro earlier) tyres. But I guess no harm in checking it out once with MRF Tyredrome. When you say Alwarpet, this is the one right before Music Academy, right?

EDIT: I called the MRF Tyredrome Cathedral road just now. Looks like they have stopped doing suspension/road safety checks temporarily. But guess I will give them a shot this week.

Last edited by asmr : 9th August 2023 at 18:41. Reason: Corrected typos
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 18:40   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I usually go to Lal Enterprises on Lloyds road for anything related to my cars' (Taigun and Santro earlier) tyres. But I guess no harm in checking it out once with MRF Tyredrome. When you say Alwarpet, this is the one right before Music Academy, right?
That’s correct, just before the Music Academy. If you are going there, best to make an appointment - they are quite busy.

You’ll see they are much better than Lal for wheel alignment and balancing. Much better equipment and trained staff.

Lals is the place to buy tyres for sure, but after - it’s MRF Tyredromes! Do keep us posted on what you think post your visit!
Yesterdaysnews is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 18:51   #5
BANNED

The one in Adayar does the suspension and brake test. Better you take your vehicle there. They are less busy and tend to spend more time on each vehicle.
Yesterdaysnews is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 04:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Taigun 1.0L TSI AT from Dec 2021...

Also, I had posted (Volkswagen Taigun Review) here sometime back on a pronounced drift to the left. I had this checked out at my tyre center. They did an alignment adjustment and it went away. But now I see that there is a drift happening to the RIGHT when I hold the steering wheel visually centered to the dash display.

Now I am beginning to wonder if there is a bigger problem to address or if it is again a wheel alignment + balancing issue which is causing both the drift and the steering wheel shake at high speed.
The car has wheel alignment problem where a screenshot of the current alignment numbers would provide clues, and likely wheel balancing issues.

Suspension and brake tests? ....

I wouldn't bother with it until and unless a wheel alignment correction is properly done .... in which case it is hard to come by in most markets.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 08:01   #7
BANNED

You are right Zeng, brake and suspension tests may not really be needed here as it sounds very like a wheel balance alignment issue. But since OP is sounds a little worried that they may be a a bigger issue, recommended them so he could be at ease and at peace. They are very cheap, the tests - and even if nothing else, it’s good to get the done one a year or so to see where the vehicle is at!
Yesterdaysnews is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 14:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Taigun steering wheel shakes, drags to the right

If alignment appears fine, ask your authorised service centre to check and reset the steering angle sensor.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 16:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to take my vehicle back to the tyre store tomorrow to check the wheels and the alignment + balancing. But I am not sure if they can also identify if there is an issue with the bearings, calipers etc. in which case it is one more trip to the ASC.
Consider requesting road force balancing at the tire shop. This technique helps identify and correct tire and wheel assembly issues that traditional balancing might not catch. If you manage to figure out what's causing the issue and get it sorted, do let us know what the root cause was.
raptor_diwan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 18:32   #10
BANNED

The symptoms your vehicle shows is typical of misalignment. My experience with MRF Tyredrome has been fantastic. This is in Kochi, I was planning to change the tyres, they told it will last another 10,000 kms. They even found a embedded nail! The use very advanced machines for alignment and Hunter for the balancing.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 13:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterdaysnews View Post
it’s good to get the done one a year or so to see where the vehicle is at!
I finally ended up going to the Cathedral road branch only. They did the alignment and balancing. The vehicle seemed fine for one day.

And now the drift is happening to the left, when I hold the steering wheel centered. The problem is when the alignment guys fix the steering wheel center point, I am not able to correctly ascertain if it is really centered or not, because I am looking at it from an angle and can't sit in the seat with the contraption holding the steering in place.

However, the steering shake at 100kmph+ speed has disappeared fully. So I am happy at least one problem got fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If alignment appears fine, ask your authorised service centre to check and reset the steering angle sensor.
Thanks. I think that's the next step now that the car alignment has been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Consider requesting road force balancing at the tire shop.
The normal alignment and balancing that was done at MRF Tyredrome seems to have gotten rid of the high speed steering wheel shake. However, the drift of the vehicle to the left (earlier it was to the right, and before that it was the left originally) seems to have not been fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The symptoms your vehicle shows is typical of misalignment... The use very advanced machines for alignment and Hunter for the balancing.
Yes, they did a clean inspection of all tires, added new weights to balance the wheel and did the alignment nicely. However, as I mentioned, something else is wrong and that is causing the drifting of the vehicle when steering is held at dead center, with my visual alignment while driving.
asmr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 14:03   #12
BANNED

As suggested by SS-Traveller, steering angle sensor calibration has to be checked. Hope the service centre has the facility to do that. Keep us updated. I'm thinking of getting a Virtus, but I'm paranoid with steering drift, can't ever live with that however good the car is. Lot of complaints regarding the same with VAG cars, can't understand why they can't rectify the same even after 1 year.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 13:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Important thing to keep in mind when correcting drift issues
VAG cars and most modern cars with EPS have an assisted centering feature which straightens the steering wheel after a turn. Earlier, the centering was driven mechanically due to the counteracting force from the suspension of the vehicle and the caster. However, this is now complemented by the EPS which keeps track of the straight line position of the steering. Once a turn is complete, the EPS system slowly tries to achieve this straight line angle.

This is irrespective of the steering angle sensor Even if the steering angle sensor has an offset and is not at zero degrees to keep the vehicle in straight line, the EPS learns this value and tries to always stop at this number, whatever it may be. For example, my car used to show a steering angle reading of 2.9 degrees when the steering was kept visually straight. Even then, there was no drift in the steering and the car would drive straight. There is another parameter which shows the learned offset for straight line running - This will display the actual straight line running angle of the steering wheel.

In the case of my Slavia, the steering was off center after 13k kms. I had to keep it slightly tilted towards right for it to drive straight, ie if I held the steering firmly straight, the vehicle would go leftward. The EPS would also hold this position when I left the steering free. I got the alignment corrected with the steering kept at the mechanical center. After this, the mechanical issue got sorted, ie if I kept the steering firmly straight, the car would go straight. But a new issue cropped up, the EPS would try to go to the previously learnt center position, ie slightly right. Hence, the result is if I let the steering free, it would slightly tilt right and the car also would drift right.

To sort this out, after any alignment is complete, we should turn on the car, rotate steering to both ends slowly and repeat this twice and turn off the car. After this, the EPS will relearn the straight line running angle and the pulling issue will go away. Otherwise, no matter how many times alignment is done, the pull will only change sides In my case, I got the alignment done perfect to the steering center. After the relearning procedure, I also reset the steering angle sensor to zero through VCDS.

Quick troubleshooting guide for modern car alignment issue:
  • Hold the steering visually straight - Does the car drive straight? No problem
  • Hold the steering visually straight. Does the car drift to one side? - Toe issue which has to be fixed by mechanical alignment
  • Leave the steering free on a FLAT road - Does the steering stay straight and car drives straight? No problem
  • Leave the steering free on a FLAT road. Does the car drift to one side WITH a visible rotation in the steering and the rotation and drift keep increasing? Camber or Caster issue - Check alignment
  • Camber and caster are within limits, yet the car steering shows a visible rotation when left free but the rotation stops at a certain point? EPS sensor issue. Perform reset or relearn according to manufacturer process

In either way, after any alignment is performed especially when correcting off center steering, its recommended to do a Steering angle sensor reset or trigger relearning of straight line running angle. Without this, there will be eternal alignment issues.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th August 2023 at 13:42.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 17:20   #14

Same issue on my 2022 Brezza as well. Had multiple instances of alignment and vehicle pulling towards left. Went to a nearby Alignment service shop and did the service, however the issues was still persisting. The alignment center had given up and told to visit the Service Center. However, my car had still time left for the scheduled 3rd service and therefore I contacted Code6 Hyderabad for help. They suggested to go for road force balancing. Later, I went for a 2000 kms road trip only to observe on the highway that the car is changing directions like crazy!!! It is maintaining a straight line only If I hold the steering wheel firmly. Once I let go it immediately moves to the left and right also!!! This happened in post triple digit speeds. However, the steering is giving me enough feedback while making turns i.e, the steering weight is intact at higher speeds. But it is changing directions rather tooo quickly and that too towards the right. I’m scratching my head unable to understand this weird behaviour.

Any suggestions from fellow BHPians ?!
Old 30th August 2023, 19:19   #15

If alignment is not able to solve the veering left or right issue, check, and if required, change the tie rods. They are not that expensive and just two in numbers. A local garage will do it quickly if they have the original parts.
What I noticed after visiting 3 alignment centers in the past, that alignment settings had become difficult to achieve due to worn out tie rods and its nuts and bolts, etc.
If you are visiting a local alignment center, make sure you drive the car with technician by side, after they confirm that alignment has been done. If possible drive on a straight road with a 30-40kmh on run and check with these two options:
1. Hold the steering straight and see if car goes in other direction.
2. Leave the steering and see if steering wheel tend to move in any direction.
In any of these cases, make sure the alignment technician agrees on the problem.
Most of the times, the local alignment shops want to get rid of customer after showing they have put good effort in adjusting the nut bolts and test driving. It is up to you to get the best of their services, despite being called as a pushy customer. I learnt this in one of the encounters and wasted half of my working day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks