Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2024, 19:24   #46
BHPian

Re: The DPF Saga | Tips & Advice on avoiding DPF issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
My gosh ! After reading the do's and don't, the bs6 diesel engine looks like a spoilt, moody baby who needs constant pampering!

But boy does it make it up on those highway runs. With that low end grunt, the car just munches miles so easily!

Honestly, it really isn’t all that difficult if the usage is primarily for highway. It is only a problem if there is mixed usage. I bought it only for highway runs with very occasional city use (both my wife and I commute to office and wherever we can within the city by public transport or private cabs).

But agree it isn’t the old school, abuse friendly engines anymore.
krishnakumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 20:24   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquehead View Post
That's exactly how I started and I was not too keen on Diesel hearing about the BS Vi woes. Sadly, all decent turbocharged-petrol options either come with a DCT or a DSG gearbox, both of which have their own set of problems.

Thanks,
You can look at the XUV700 petrol which comes with a TC box.

Honestly, diesels are not so much of a trouble as we think them to be. As long as our usage is a mix of city and some open roads, a diesel will perform without a fuss.

With the scale of electronics decked in today's cars, any car petrol or diesel alike, can throw tantrums if one is unlucky. Just my two cents.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 09:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

But boy does it make it up on those highway runs. With that low end grunt, the car just munches miles so easily!
Exactly, I love the effortless low-end the diesels generate and not bothered about how they respond at triple-digit speeds. It's a typical sense of power which diesel-lovers can only appreciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
You can look at the XUV700 petrol which comes with a TC box.
Though my preference lies in Korean options simply for the reliable 'tech' & diesel-engines in their cars, I may hesitatingly consider the XUV 700 in its petrol avatar with the TC. But it defies my own logic of value, when I spend 30% more on initial cost and subsequently the cost of ownership, despite the fact that Korean options ticked all the boxes (except for BS Vi woes spoiling the party).

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
But agree it isn’t the old school, abuse friendly engines anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Honestly, diesels are not so much of a trouble as we think them to be. As long as our usage is a mix of city and some open roads, a diesel will perform without a fuss.

With the scale of electronics decked in today's cars, any car petrol or diesel alike, can throw tantrums if one is unlucky. Just my two cents.
That's the problem. DCT, DSG, DPF, DEF - it's getting so complicated. If these modern cars break down when driven in traffic, the day is not far when people will have have to rely on public transport (highways have terrible traffic too).

If one 'LIVES TO DRIVE', they would need to be wealthy enough spend money on formula-1 cars that have dedicated tracks or bid farewell to their lives

Thanks,

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2024 at 15:53. Reason: SMS lingo
torquehead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 12:37   #49
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
From my experience, the RPM or the speed of your vehicle does not matter, it is the duration of the drive that matters. You need to give engine enough time to reach operating temperature and stay there for some time. There is no need for high speed drives. Count the number of times where your engine's continuous usage is less than half an hour. Each of those instances gets you one step closer to a DPF issue.
I agree to this view based on my experience with my car. My usage is mostly in city for my office commute which take 40min-1hr one way. Mine is nearing 60000KM, and around 45k mark, I faced an issue with the AdBlue injector failure due to clogging, so I had to get it cleaned by the service center. For my usage, RPM remains really low around 1000-1500 and even that is enough for regen to trigger and complete successfully. I notice that the fuel consumption goes high for 15-20min.
In my 4.5yrs, I have observed something interesting a few times and I don't understand what it is. As my commute takes less than 1hr, if the regen is not completed within the driving time, even after turning off the engine, there is something happening for another 5min. I can hear multiple sounds coming from the engine bay, like some motor or fan is running.
sgm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 14:59   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

My Altroz BS6 diesel has clocked 63000 km in 2.5 years without a single DPF issue. Specially the last 5 months have been predominantly slow moving city driving clocking barely 700 km a month. It still breathes free.

The DPF Saga | Tips & Advice on avoiding DPF issues-20240510_061151.jpg

One Italian tune up every fortnight is enough to keep BS6 diesels free from DPF issues, IMO.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th May 2024 at 15:02.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 16:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquehead View Post
Exactly, I love the effortless low-end the diesels generate and not bothered about how they respond at triple-digit speeds. It's a typical sense of power which diesel-lovers can only appreciate
Go for it, buddy! If you love driving and hitting the highways, DPF should not be of any concern to you at all.

I don’t regret buying a diesel at all. I stepped into knowing all the downsides fully, it’s just about taking an informed decision.
krishnakumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 21:32   #52

It's been two years since I bought the Altroz and have clocked ~21000 kms, have seen the DPF light just twice, which was eventually cleared by just taking it for a ride on a bypass near to my house. Dpf getting clogged is the least of my concern, but engine oil increasing is. We predominantly use it in the city and my father is a relaxed driver so when I got the oil level inspected last time it had increased by a whopping 500ml. Got the oil drained and replaced it with fresh synthetic oil. All those who have a BS6 diesel engine with LNT and DPF I strongly suggest you to keep checking your engine oil level regularly.
Deucalion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 21:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

To my knowledge there are BS6 cars which do and do not use Adblue.
Does anyone know if the cars with Adblue have fewer DPF issues ?
Adblue is sprayed into the exhaust after the DPF filter right ? Is it possible that the DPF filters in these cars are less restrictive because there is an extra solution for emissions control ?
Are there any diesels without DPF filters and just Adblue ?

Hopefully someone here knows the answer
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 21:51   #54

My 5 cents here after owning a creta diesel for 3years @48,000 kms.

1. Frequent short runs where engine doesn't reach optimum temperature ie., short runs of <5km cause this problem.
2. Number of minutes taken to cover a km. Ideally, a city run of 1 km per 3 min is ideal. If more time than that benchmark you should be looking else where. Further, these runs should be complemented with few stretches of high revving drive.
3. Number of times you start and switch off your engine while covering a distance. I mean frequent short stops and start journeys.
4. Try to drive just above 2000 rpm when you are not able to do long distances.
5. A drive of around 20 km in stretch at good rpm will take care of short runs done for a week.

Hope this helps....!
dilipkgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 06:58   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Yes, diesels with AdBlue have fewer DPF issues than those without AdBlue. This poll among BHPians shows that:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ed-issues.html (BS6 diesel car owners: Have you faced DPF-related issues?)
lordrayden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 09:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
To my knowledge there are BS6 cars which do and do not use Adblue.
Adblue is sprayed into the exhaust after the DPF filter right ? Is it possible that the DPF filters in these cars are less restrictive because there is an extra solution for emissions control ?
Are there any diesels without DPF filters and just Adblue ?
SCR(Selective Catalytic Reduction, a system that uses DEF aka Ad Blue) and DPF are two different systems though the function of both is to control emissions. The former takes care of NOx and the latter keeps the particulate matter(soot levels)in check. So an engine equipped with SCR system doesn't have any bearing on the DPF tantrums a vehicle may throw up, AFAIK. And smaller capacity diesels uses LNT(Lean NOx Trap) in place of SCR. Hence the DPF is a must and it's either SCR or LNT. And in some cases like heavy duty trucks, it will have all three - DPF+SCR+LNT.

Ad Blue is just a proprietary name and it's commonly called as Diesel Exhaust Fluid(DEF). It should contain the same solution of 32.5% urea and 67.5% de-ionised water.

Quote:
AdBlue® is a registered trademark of the VDA(German Automotive Industry Association) for which Vauxhall Motors has an active licence. It's produced by chemical companies, and only licensed manufacturers and distributors can use the name 'AdBlue®'

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 11th May 2024 at 09:16.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 16:03   #57
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Yes, diesels with AdBlue have fewer DPF issues than those without AdBlue. This poll among BHPians shows that:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ed-issues.html (BS6 diesel car owners: Have you faced DPF-related issues?)
In my Ecosport BS-VI, fortunately I have not faced any DPF issues (without AdBlue requirement), notwithstanding that most of my driving is within city limits and highway runs are only once in a month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks