Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2023, 16:27   #31
BHPian

Re: The DPF Saga | Tips & Advice on avoiding DPF issues

Nice explanation! I was quite confused between Diesel and Petrol for my next car. But now I am certain that Diesel is not for me(although I will miss the mileage). Reading Team BHPians advices are a great help.
Old 29th September 2023, 18:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Why would this be. Any specific reason identified? Isn't premium diesel supposed to be much cleaner?
Good question. Premium diesels aren't cleaner fuel but have additives in regular fuel which are supposed to help clean the combustion chamber and other areas. I am not an expert here but burning of these additives can block the DPF and hence, not recommended.

This is how HP explains Turbojet diesel:
Quote:
What is TurboJet?

TurboJet is a new generation diesel, which contains multi-functional diesel additives to keep your vehicle healthier-resulting in better performance, more mileage, easier acceleration and lower emissions.
Even Shell V Power is laced with similar 'cleaners'.

https://www.shell.in/motorists/shell...er-diesel.html

A grab from the Kia user manual which mentions avoiding use of such additives
The DPF Saga | Tips & Advice on avoiding DPF issues-screenshot_20230929_181301_owners-manual.jpg
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 21:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I'm wondering if we take into account all these DPF related issues and diesel lost due to regen cycles, not to mention about the inconvenience when these things happen out of the blue, whether going for Diesel car makes sense anymore specially for urban driving (and occasional highway runs) conditions ?

I think people should take into account all these factors while evaluating petrol vs diesel options.
It really does not. I finally gave up on diesel after searching all through 2021-2022 and bought a hybrid. As much as I like the low end torque and lazily getting up to highway speeds, it's just not worth it anymore.
Old 19th January 2024, 13:48   #34
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The key element to soot burn off or passive regeneration is high exhaust gas temperature over an extended amount of time. This is achieved only under high load and high speed conditions. However with a large engine like the 2.4 or 2.8 Toyotas, the engine is hardly under load and EGT never rises to the levels that soot can burn off. .....manual regeneration or DPF light blinking. Regen kicks in 200-250kms or so and does it's job in ten minutes be it on the highway or in bumper to bumper traffic.
You echo my thoughts here, but I have a query regarding my XUV700 diesel manual. Up to 17000 km on the odo, the car didn't throw any regen warnings, even though I used to drive a significant amount of time in the city and on short trips. But after a software update, I started getting these warnings every 150–200 km. These warnings go away if I drive for 10–15 minutes at 2k rpm, and I can tell from the slight fluctuations in power delivery around a certain rpm that the regen is going on. I now recall that these fluctuations in engine power used to occur earlier, also when the car was not giving any warnings, and I suppose the system was completing active regen in multiple attempts.

But my dilemma is that earlier I wasn't getting any warnings, and the car was performing regen even when driven in the city, and now it's giving warnings, but regen is getting completed after a few minutes of continuous driving. One factor to consider is that none of my trips are longer than 10 kilometers these days, and most of them are only 3–4 kilometers. Although there is no traffic, there are many quick-start stops. I got the car checked at the service center, and they said that it's normal as you are driving short trips. Should I attribute the frequent warnings to the fact that they might have lowered the warning parameter to prevent multiple aborted regenerations, or is there actually something wrong with the car?

There is no change in the performance of the car, and many other users have also reported similar behavior after the said software update, just these frequent regen warnings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks