Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2023, 11:34   #1

VW Tiguan | Steering Wheel noise issue after driving non-stop @ 80 kmph

Greetings!

I own a 2022 VW Tiguan, purchased Feb 2022.

I get a strange noise from my steering wheel column on driving non-stop for over ~80 Km/ over an hour. Reported the issue to VW in Oct 2022 (first long drive post purchase). Post initial denial/ unable to reproduce battles, they finally acknowledged the issue as an "Operational Issue", and vehicle can continue to be driven without safety concerns. I'm informed they are working on the issue that's S/W related and S/W update will be provided when approved. Have not given any timeline to resolution.

I am aware of another 2 VW Tiguans in Bengaluru having same issue. Would like to know if anyone else is experiencing the issue. More importantly, have you driven the car much further after the noise started on the drive. I'm quite nervous driving the car for long each time the sound starts, so have not taken the car out for long distance trips since Oct 2022.

While VW's response is lacking the confidence I need to venture out for long distance travel, I'm looking for some confidence from others who may have had this issue and drove the car further on the trip despite the sound.

Any inputs will be helpful

Thanks Much!
Old 20th September 2023, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Re: VW Tiguan | Steering Wheel noise issue after driving non-stop @ 80 kmph

Keep pushing VW for a fix.
As this is an international product, I would suggest to go through other geography VW / Tiguan forums to check for similar issues and resolutions.
TheFonz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 14:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahiman View Post
Greetings!

I own a 2022 VW Tiguan, purchased Feb 2022.

I get a strange noise from my steering wheel column on driving non-stop for over ~80 Km/ over an hour.
What kind of noise is this? Squeaks or rattling? Some more details would really help. Next time do shoot a video, that would be good as evidence as well as to figure out what is wrong?
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 14:56   #4

Thanks. Pursuing agressively. But they don't seem to have the urgency. Moreover they are not able to explicitly say driving the car with the sound will not lead to mechanical/ safety issues. Quite frustrated.

It's a weird one. Not rattling, but a tad squeaky. Like wind gushing through a tiny gap. I have few videos, but I see we cannot upload them here.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th September 2023 at 20:57. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
Old 20th September 2023, 15:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

As Jaggu mentioned a video with the noise audible would be very helpful.

From memory, the one issue with the steering on this car is the clock spring. That might make an odd sound. Try and listen carefully if you can hear the sound near the steering column, just aft of the steering wheel.

For reference about what a clockspring is what it does and where to find it: it so happens I did a little write-up on my Jeep's clockspring recently.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5596837 (My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One)

See if you can provide us with the video/audio and try and pinpoint the location.
If it is the Clockspring software updates are not going to fix it.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 21:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I get a strange noise from my steering wheel column on driving non-stop for over ~80 Km/ over an hour.
Quote:
It's a weird one. Not rattling, but a tad squeaky. Like wind gushing through a tiny gap. I have few vidoes, but I see we cannot upload them here.
Can you be sure whether this is related specifically to the steering wheel / column at all? Wind gushing through a tiny gap would be like a whistling noise, which can well be a gap in the firewall / footwell somewhere (especially since you report it happening at speeds above 80 km/h).

To post videos on the forum, you need to upload to YouTube and post a link here.

Hope there's quick resolution to this irritation.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 09:57   #7

Hi,
I own a VW Tiguan (2022) as well, has done about 13K Kms with multiple (i would say ~8-9) continuous long drives of >700Km each, i can confirm i havent noticed any noise etc from the steering. The car remains relatively issue free for me yet.

If you can share more details / video / audio of the sound you notice, i can recheck from my side too if that helps?

thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 21:08   #8
BHPian

7The key to identifying the problem is to follow a systematic approach of elimination. Here's what I'd do.

1. Check the condition of the tyres. They should have the required tread depth. It's also a good idea to get the condition of the compound checked with an expert.
2. Check alignment and wheel balancing
3. Also good idea to check your alloys for any damages.
4. Connect a scanner to the ODB port and monitor live data. German cars have very low tolerances, and if anything is wrong, they'll show up as errors.

If none of these help, you could go for a physical examination of all the steering components to look for any signs of unusual wear and tear. But, given VW dealers' histories, I don't think they'll be up for the job.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 21st September 2023 at 21:26.
Old 23rd September 2023, 04:00   #9

Quote:
I get a strange noise from my steering wheel column on driving non-stop for over ~80 Km/ over an hour. Reported the issue to VW in Oct 2022 (first long drive post purchase). Post initial denial/ unable to reproduce battles, they finally acknowledged the issue as an "Operational Issue", and vehicle can continue to be driven without safety concerns. I'm informed they are working on the issue that's S/W related and S/W update will be provided when approved. Have not given any timeline to resolution.
Hey

I have the exact same issue. The sound starts after a long drive. I bought the car in June'23. Took her to the hiils and the sound came for the first time. Since hill driving is all about turning it comes at every turn. It's also like the resistance of the steering wheel increases at a particular angle while turning left and right. Took it to VW, but they say since it was not happening when they test drove it, they cannot tell. Apparently escalated this issue to the technical team. They say that they are aware of it and its normal. I asked them that how can this be normal when the sound increaes with time. WHen you stop the car for sometime and drive it again, no issues. Its like its always during a long drive. I get the feeling that its some sort of bush which heats up in the steering column and due to the thermal expansion, there is some rubbing noise between the metal parts causing this sound. One more thing i noticed is that the sounds only comes from the car when its moving and not stationery. The first time the sound came, i stopped and turned to both extremes and no sound. As soon as i start moving and turning, the sound is back. EVen i have a lot of videos of the same. I hope VW comes with a solution to the problem. Its quite annoying in the hills especially. Most people wont notice it during city driving.

Last edited by graaja : 23rd September 2023 at 07:06. Reason: Please avoid quoting full long posts. Quote only the relevant parts.
AdarshG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 18:17   #10
BHPian

Recently heard of the same issue from a friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdarshG View Post
Took her to the hiils and the sound came for the first time.
This was exactly his description too, as he does a lot of driving to/from Coonoor. In fact, he said the sound occurs when ascending the ghats, but not when descending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdarshG View Post
I get the feeling that its some sort of bush which heats up in the steering column and due to the thermal expansion, there is some rubbing noise between the metal parts causing this sound.
Same conclusion reached (ie. engine & components tend to get a lot hotter when going uphill, due to the additional load on the engine).

Last edited by rehaan2 : 23rd September 2023 at 18:19.
Old 23rd September 2023, 20:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaan2 View Post
Recently heard of the same issue from a friend...

This was exactly his description too, as he does a lot of driving to/from Coonoor. In fact, he said the sound occurs when ascending the ghats, but not when descending.

Same conclusion reached (ie. engine & components tend to get a lot hotter when going uphill, due to the additional load on the engine).
Well. That’s one issue. The steering sound comes while going up and down the mountain. It’s just after a certain period of time( greater than 1.5 hours approx). This has happened only once while in the plains, noticed it while taking a U-turn.

The other issue I have: High DSG temperature while going uphill with 5 people in the car. The road was steep and not concrete. So was going up slowly and car loaded. The high temperature alarm came. Had to stop and wait for the gearbox to cool down. Was disappointed. Anyone else have this issue ?
Old 13th October 2023, 08:01   #12

Hello everyone,
I am from delhi and I own a 2022 Tiguan and I too have been facing this strange noise coming from steering column while turning on hills after driving for sometime. I have made multiple videos of the same and shown them to VW people and they have always told me that it’s an operational noise. They have even mailed me the same, citing a pdf note from Vw.
I have been to hills multiple times and even to leh Ladakh!
I have heard this sound always on twisty turns but have not faced any issues apart from the noise but gets me apprehensive every time, what if it fails to turn!
I have even tweeted the same to Vw but there has been not response/solution on the matter.
HimalayanDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 22:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings!

While VW's response is lacking the confidence I need to venture out for long distance travel, I'm looking for some confidence from others who may have had this issue and drove the car further on the trip despite the sound.

Thanks Much!
Even customers should not have confidence in VW or Skoda for fixing things. My car, Skoda Octavia had weird noises from under the floor for 2 years and it was driven about 50-60 thousand Km with those kind of noises. The noises kept increasing and Skoda was not able to fix it. They made me change C mounting bush (Center bush or frame bush) link rods and did all they could..

Finally, I took it to an FNG. It was simply about loose subframe bolts. The Noise is gone now... Skoda was suggesting replacement of suspension, they also said replace engine guard as it is rubbing with suspension. Clearly their diagnoses are either insane or intentional to extract more money from customers.

The only thing they do well at VW and Skoda service centers is the replacement of parts which increases their revenue. They are where they stand for what they have been doing since inception.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 11:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Thanks Much!
Hello srahiman

I'm in a Tiguan owners WhatsApp group where a message was shared earlier today mentioning a software update now available for 'Steering wheel abnormal noise'. Perhaps you can inquire with your local VW service center for the same.
They will require your VIN to confirm if effected batch etc. Hope this fixes it for you
Old 6th December 2023, 14:19   #15

A quick update on the issue. VW has a S/W update ready for this issue. They applied to my Tiguan on Tuesday Dec 6th 2023. While I personally have not taken the car out for a long drive since then, I'm aware they took the car for a long 50+ KM test drive and did not hear the noise.
srahiman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks