Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2023, 22:54   #31
BHPian

Re: What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
They are on FB and Insta. Akshay from TBHP (akshay380) is an active member. You can ask him to add you.
Thanks, contacted but no reply yet sadly - will follow up!

Apart from that I should be going ahead with the ICE upgrade soon (let's say next week?).

Retaining the stock HU (due to AC stuff).

Front - Sony 162ES Components
Back - Sony 160ES Coaxials
Amp - Sony GS4 4 Channel
Sub - Retain the Hamaan 8 inch under-seat sub (but shift it to the boot)
Damping - Morel ACUDAMP 211 (doors + floor)

That and maybe get the callipers painted red

Looking to complete the mentioned in a DIY ish fasion! Will keep the thread updated.
Old 28th October 2023, 21:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedShroud View Post
Retaining the stock HU (due to AC stuff).

Front - Sony 162ES Components
Back - Sony 160ES Coaxials
Amp - Sony GS4 4 Channel
Sub - Retain the Hamaan 8 inch under-seat sub (but shift it to the boot)
Damping - Morel ACUDAMP 211 (doors + floor)
Got this done in parts over the week! Got the speakers install with guidance of a local guy. All the damping was done in complete DIY fasion with me and my friends (huge shoutout to them haha).

The Upgrade!
Front Speakers: SONY XS162ES (ES Components) [20,000]
Back Speakers: SONY XS160ES (ES Coaxials) [16,000]
Amplifier: SONY GS4 (4x70 amplifier) [18,000]
Wiring (amp):
Scoche 8awg (OFC Power cables with fuse) [3,000]
Wiring (speakers/input): 16awg Equivalent Quality (OFC) [4,000]
Spacer/Rainguard: wooden/sillicon [3,300]
Damping sheets: Morel ACUDAMP 211 (25 sheets) [600*25 = 15,000]

Total: ~80k

Other Tools/Equipment:
  • Soldering Iron and Tin
  • Wire crimps
  • Shrink wraps
  • Wire terminals
  • Normal Screwdriver set
  • Small 12 piece torque wrench
  • Damping sheet roller
  • Powered drill (not mandatory)

Attaching pictures!

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-img20231021wa0001.jpg
Here is the inventory!

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231023_052747010.jpg
Left door with spacer in. Look at the silver padding on the door. Apparantly that's some sort of deadening material provided by Tata! But for some reason it isn't there on the cheaper models (that would make sense but they don't provide any sort of mention on the spec sheet/brochure?)

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231023_055455628.jpg

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231023_075311431.jpg

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231023_103822072.jpg

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231023_110342263.jpg

Speakers with spacers and guard.

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231026_072405654.jpg
First level of deadening on the inner door panel.

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231026_092021877.jpg

Second layer of deadening on middle panel.

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-img_20231028_212715_540.jpg

Third deadening layer on the door card! (Added a lot more after the picture)

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231023_141142903.jpg

The sub and the amp at the back (cable management could have been much much better - will be fixed soon!)

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231028_041005720.jpg
Bare carpets with seats removed

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231028_041923480.jpg

Due to the DIY nature of the deadening upgrade - we refrained from removing all the carpets.. rather peel one side at a time and apply sheets on the bare metal. I was surprised to find quite a lot of deadening material already provided by tata in the form of foam/pillows/plaster like material

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-pxl_20231023_150649826.jpg
A view with the tweeters in (the golden and black go very well with the black dash).

All in all I spent around 85k for the whole upgrade. The damping labour was expensive if I had gotten it done. I was quoted around 15k just for the doors! A nice deal on the morel sheets came in clutch. They retail at ~20$ per sheet on morel's website. I got them at 600/- per sheet during the Great Indian Sale!

All in all - amazing upgrade! The speakers feel sublime. The vocals are so crisp, the mids are so smooth, the bass is just punchy! (Now the sub needs an upgrade haha).

What I learned -
  • DIY is not too hard! you just need some basic tools, will power and patience
  • upgraded speakers without good damping is just not fair. The gains are to be had with a good well damped door with speakers is immense!
  • Power tools... They are a blessing. I got a cheap kit for like 1500/- and it's good enough to just make life easy.. but ALWAYS tighten the bolts after the fact!

Bloopers
So It was me and 2 other friends working on the car. And although that's amazing fun and productive.. coordination.. uhh xD. We did the damping and put the car back together and were pretty happy with our speed/workmanship. But only... The car wouldn't start! My heart skipped a beat!

Thankfully the issue was just that the fuel pump cable had tucked itself under the carpet and one of us forgot to check it! Pretty embarrassing but a huge relief!

Bonus pics!
What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-screenshot_202310282142352.png

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-screenshot_202310282142392.png
CannedShroud is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 11:12   #33

Amazing setup, happy to see what you have done with the car. I too have undergone the long journey of finding the proper headlight upgrade for Altroz as there is virtually no space between the housing & dust-cover. This is my setup as follows,
Low Beam - OSRAM 35W 4200K HID
High Beam - CHINESE LEDs - No other option as there is no space behind the reflector housing that can hold nice LEDs with the cooling fan. I have a 75w led setup that has cooling fins and not fan, its from a brand called MOTONEEDS. Throw is actually good for a chinese LED, personally satisfied.
FOG LAMPS - STOCK, Planning to upgrade. Please do share your valuable opinion upgrading with a good 4200K LED for fog lamp (H8 socket)
Also upgraded from stock horns to Hella chrome trumpet horns, stock ones don’t help much in highways.
Thank you for all the information you have shared on Altroz & it’s upgrades. Please keep the thread going
Old 30th December 2023, 00:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachowwww View Post
FOG LAMPS - STOCK, Planning to upgrade. Please do share your valuable opinion upgrading with a good 4200K LED for fog lamp (H8 socket)
Also upgraded from stock horns to Hella chrome trumpet horns, stock ones don’t help much in highways.
Thank you for all the information you have shared on Altroz & it’s upgrades. Please keep the thread going
Thanks a lot for your kind words! Will definately keep this thread updated as to whatever I plan for the car!

Horn upgrade sounds nice! I have done that as well!

About the fogs, I am currently running LED fogs from CrystalEYE which is a pretty okish brand (I am running these from a friend's reccomendations). Although they turn out to be too good for my ethics. The bulbs are phenomenal! The spread is almost like 90 degree and you can quite literally see the lateral part of the road being illuminated!. These are so good that you can actually drive with the headlights off in the city as well!.

Now for the sad part about them.. They are too bright... LEDs are not built for general reflectors (especially fogs). And this is no special case. They blind and they blind badly.. For this specific reason I keep them off 90% of the times (not to mention the low beams are pretty amazing as well!). But yeah.. that 10% of pitch dark highway drive, or the night drive home though a lonely twisty patch really makes the difference.

Being able to see sharp turns before you turn in gives you a lot more confidence! and is just a phenomenal experience! I will refrain from recommending /not recommending these - as they are very blinding and I myself keep them off the majority of the times (if there are other cars ahead or oncoming). I do want to say, if you go for LEDs as fogs.. please use them responsibly! The amount of people driving with full beams is already eye-hurting.. and I under no circumstance want to promote such an ordeal.

Honestly, for my next change - I would switch back to my white-halogens for fogs. As they were decent enough without being a literal eyesore!

Thanks a lot again for your kind words, do share your journey inputs!

Drive On!
CannedShroud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 00:45   #35
BHPian

Hey Guys! Posting an update on my Altroz iTurbo build! Just got the brakes done and they are amazing .

Before I start, I actually had tried to start a separate thread for support/advice regarding this topic here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...oz-iturbo.html (Front Brake Upgrade for my remapped Tata Altroz iTurbo)

But that post did not seem to get much traction. Anywho! fastforward a few months and we finally got it done! I will be qouting myself from the post a fair bit.

Back Story: The stock brakes were decent enough but not great in any regard. Especially after the remap and grippier tires, the brakes really started to feel weak. They had this weird springy feel to them where one would have to brake and then brake a little more to get the expected braking performance. (very sorry for the bad explanation but that is truly the best way I could put it). I tried Bosch replacement "ceramic" pads, and they were great!
The bite was much better, the fade much much better, and the fade feel was muted to a large extent, but no one can beat physics! The nature of the thin and small rotors (235mm) meant that they just could not hold a lot of heat, nor could they dissipate it.

This made spirited driving a tricky endeavour honestly, say braking from 140 down to 80, and now you cannot speed up confidently - because you know that the brakes are not going to feel that sharp if you had to hit them hard... This made me actively look for a solution. I tried to contact the suppliers of EBC, Brembo but they did not have any solution for Indian cars :(

Due to the lack of support/information - i decided to put the idea on hold and look at adapting my driving style to these okish brakes.

Fast forward a few months...
Around the end of monsoons last year, my car had a breakdown due to the coolant hose exploding. This made me take the car to Tata ASC rather than my trusty FNG because of warranty and other paperwork.

At some point during the process, I realised that an Altroz on the next lift was in for Rotor replacement. I couldn't help but notice that the rotors on that car were bigger! I asked around in Tata, but they all refused the observation and said that all Altroz' have the same sized rotors. I wasn't convinced. I started doing some research with part numbers and on spares websites and found that the Diesel Altroz (and some other variants of the DCA come with bigger - 254mm rotors!). This was a Eureka moment for me! and I began research over how I could get these bigger pads and rotors fit on my iTurbo!

Now to uptil recently, my stock brake rotors were completety gone and the pads EOL, so I needed a change badly! This urged me to jump the guns on a replacement/upgrade...

Here were my options:
  1. Repeat stock rotors and search for better pads (ROTORS + PADS).
    The stock size of my rotors is around 235mm with a OD of 20mm. These are truly tiny and definately not sufficient for stopping the 1.2 ton+ car. If nothingelse works this is my last resort.
  2. Rotors from Altroz Diesel (ROTORS + PADS + CALLIPER)
    Altroz diesel came with bigger rotors at around 254mm with a OD of 22mm. These look more normal and built for the car's weight. If nothing else, the larger surface area and volume with help me with brake fade and premature heating up of the disks.
  3. Rotors from Nexon (ROTORS + PADS + CALLIPER + KNUCKLE)
    The Nexon, across the board comes with 274mm rotos with OD of 22mm. These look beefy and probably would be a sweet upgrade over my current setup. The downside of this route is that I might have to swap out the knuckle to the Nexon's knuckle as well (which might not be feasiable)
  4. Custom (ROTORS + PADS + CALLIPER + KNUCKLE + ELBOW-GREASE)
    No experience in this regard but how do brake retro fits work? Does there HAVE to be a kit for your car which is bolt-on? Are there tuning houses that help with such problems?

Now, option 1 and 4 were out. I had to choose between going for the Diesel Rotors or the Nexon ones. I figured chasing the Nexon rotors might be flying too close to the sun, because if the steering knuckle is different, maybe the bearings are different to.. what about the rotor studs? and so on...

Here we have - The Altroz Diesel Brakes!
The steering knuckle on the petrol and the diesel is the same! This gave me hope as i placed an order for the parts! (unfortunately I could not procure OEM rotors, but the callipers are OEM).

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-new-setup-wheels-1.jpg

We tried, going for only the rotors and pads and hoping the callipers would fit, but we had to change them anyway.. Even the pad mounts and different
(LOOK AT THE SIZE DIFFERENCE!!)

What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-new-vs-old-pads-diff-1.jpg
What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-new-vs-old-pads-diff-2.jpg

Here is the difference between the size of the rotors (254mm vs 235mm).
What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-rotors-compare-1.jpg

Here are the differences in the calliper
What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-calliper-compare-1.jpg

Annd the difference between the whole setup!
What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-old-setup-1.jpg
What Next for my Altroz iTurbo?-new-setup-1.jpg

All in all, the new brakes feel much much better when heat cycling, they are much more confidence inducing and have greater bite! The feel of the pedal is completely transformed and I CANNOT GO BACK!

And lastly, I would like to thank my local FNG for entertaining and guiding me through the entire journey! They are AutoServv - based in around Verna-Goa.

Thanks for the Read! I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this and maybe help me decide what next! Drive ON!

PS: will get her cleaned up and post some better photos soon!
CannedShroud is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 13:25   #36
BHPian

That's a pretty good upgrade and I'm guessing a reliable one considering it's basically stock. This is something that I may try soon, too. The 254mm rotor is an odd size. I wonder if other cars come with this size. If yes, maybe some better quality brake pads for even better braking? Good stuff! What's next? Some coilovers, maybe?
Old 28th February 2024, 08:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
That's a pretty good upgrade and I'm guessing a reliable one considering it's basically stock. This is something that I may try soon, too. The 254mm rotor is an odd size. I wonder if other cars come with this size. If yes, maybe some better quality brake pads for even better braking? Good stuff! What's next? Some coilovers, maybe?

That's a lot for your kind words! Yes, reliability was major factor in choosing this setup - really don't want to mess with brakes haha. So far they're holding up excellently! I can ride the brakes on a few consecutive corner in a downhill ghat section (just an example for testa's sake, pretty much always use engine braking) and still have the same pedal feel and brake performance!

It's practically a no brainer for a Petrol/iTurbo owner! Safer and more fun drives are just around the horizon

Very true about the brakes pads as well, will definitely want to explore options and get new pads depending on availability. Had a really good experience with the Bosch "ceramic" pads but they really dug into the rotor. But I'm still fine replacing both pads and rotors every 40-50k kms if it came to that honestly! As long as the brakes are there to support me when I need them!

Not so sure about the coilovers, I really enjoying going road-tripping with her.. and the coilovers might reduce the comfort factor I feel. Again... Not so sure about that either. But no plans as of now.

Maybe anti roll bars from the Nexon? Or maybe some other suspension components from the racer when (and if) it comes out!
CannedShroud is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks