Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2023, 18:29   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny AT | Brakes not functioning at low rpm at high altitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Great.

Hi Anuj and @SUVolens I had a chat with a regional sales and marketing manager at MS, I explained the issue to him and he has suggested to take this with the MSIL regional service escalation matrix, as @RijuC had mentioned in his post earlier.
I was assured of investigations by the MS team but it has to come from the ones who have experienced it first hand. So I kindly request you all to please report this to your regional service team. If all can do it individually, even better.
I will keep getting the work out and I would again request our TBHians to please help in this matter if possible by getting MS involved. Thank you.
sammysossa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 19:34   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Hi. I drive a MT and I too returned from a drive up to Umling La earlier in September. Our party consisted of a Thar petrol MT and a ScorpioN 4Explor and my Jimny.
I first noticed this terrifying loss of brakes somewhere just after we started from Hanle, towards U Top. It happened at a hairpin and since the NA Jimny was already struggling to keep up with the turbo Mahindra’s at that altitude (the engine would lose all power if allowed to slip below 2300 RPM, and the car would only roar upwards in 1st, till the road somewhat flattened out), and I was gunning for all it was worth to not stall. Naturally, a fair amount of speed was being carried into the corners and suddenly I discovered - no brakes! The pedal just sank under my foot and the car hurtled on, right into the tail of the Thar..
Hi, it appears to be slightly different issue since the brake pedal sank, brakes were spongy and the brake fluid had to be topped up by a healthy margin. It could have been a case of brake fluid leakage unlike the hard brake pedal encountered by Anuj.
Old 27th September 2023, 19:47   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Hi, it appears to be slightly different issue since the brake pedal sank, brakes were spongy and the brake fluid had to be topped up by a healthy margin. It could have been a case of brake fluid leakage unlike the hard brake pedal encountered by Anuj.
Possible of course. But it still doesn’t explain why this manifested itself at high altitude only and self-corrected as soon as we descended. In fact, I couldn’t replicate it at all at the Noida service station and it was as if the car never had any issue with the brakes.
I’m happy with the car’s parameters as of now, but worried this can happen again where the car crosses an altitude threshold. That just won’t do, would it? Guess I’ll have to wait and find out.
SUVolens is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 15:22   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Seems this thread has gone silent suddenly. Has anyone received any update from MSIL? Did you try to escalate as per MSIL escalation matrix stating you faced this problem but cannot simulate at low altitude?
sadnabrina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 18:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Seems this thread has gone silent suddenly. Has anyone received any update from MSIL? Did you try to escalate as per MSIL escalation matrix stating you faced this problem but cannot simulate at low altitude?
I got a call from Maruti Suzuki post my official complaint. They will raise some internal QA documents on Tuesday. Will keep this thread updated as and when I get information.
purohitanuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 08:39   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Hundreds of Jimnys are going to high altitude every week.

I personally know more than a dozen Jimny owners who took their Jimny to high altitude (including to Umingla) and faced zero issues.

If we are not hearing about this issue often - then this must have been an isolated issue. Most likely caused by driver error. Anuj has mentioned hurtling downhill in top gear - that was extremely unwise.

Reality is that even on this thread - not a single person other than Anuj has reported facing this issue. Neither have any of the other 9 drivers in Anuj's Umingla trip come up and said that they faced the same issue.

Quote:
I got a call from Maruti Suzuki post my official complaint. They will raise some internal QA documents on Tuesday. Will keep this thread updated as and when I get information.
It's great to see that Maruti is taking your complaint seriously. Please do keep us updated.

Last edited by PYSO : 3rd October 2023 at 08:54.
PYSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 13:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Hundreds of Jimnys are going to high altitude every week.

I personally know more than a dozen Jimny owners who took their Jimny to high altitude (including to Umingla) and faced zero issues.

If we are not hearing about this issue often - then this must have been an isolated issue. Most likely caused by driver error. Anuj has mentioned hurtling downhill in top gear - that was extremely unwise.

Reality is that even on this thread - not a single person other than Anuj has reported facing this issue. Neither have any of the other 9 drivers in Anuj's Umingla trip come up and said that they faced the same issue.

It's great to see that Maruti is taking your complaint seriously. Please do keep us updated.
I would say lets wait and see. There are 2 more instances buried in this thread (if you look closely) and two more which are pending to be updated. I hope whatever the issue is, it’s sorted out. Me driving in “D” mode might be stupid, but that certainly does not mean that the brakes wouldn’t work.
I know 3 more guys who are not on TBP who have got this same issue. I have asked them to make a video and post it. If they do (which is unlikely as people don’t wanna come in public), I will share the links here.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 4th October 2023 at 13:41.
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:27   #53
BHPian

Posting Telegram message from Dr Sachin (docsachin.k[at]gmail.com) here:

hi just wanted to share my experience
We went from chandigarh to umlingla .
When we were at around 16000 feet near norbula pass on our way to umlingla then i realised brakes were not working as they were earlier i was about to bump in to next car and i had to turn my car sideways in that dangerous hilly area. While descending also on turns i had to use hand brakes sometimes and then this problem continued till i crossed baralachlaa pass on my way back to manali himachal pradesh . On many descents i had to apply brakes unusually beforehand which was not the case in my previous car on same roads . Now as i am driving my car in delhi brakes are fine . This problem was related to high altitude and i dont know the reason .
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny AT | Brakes not functioning at low rpm at high altitudes-img_1597.jpeg  

Last edited by purohitanuj : 4th October 2023 at 14:40.
purohitanuj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

This definitely does not seem like a one off issue.

One youtuber

- See from 11:40

Another one
See from 2:05

The 2nd video says brakes are not working because of pads being wet, but that's not how they work when you cross puddle type crossings. Continue to watch the 2nd video for a minute or so more, he mentions ir again.

These are clearly the same issues everyone is complaining about and driving at higher rpm's is not a solution by any stretch.

Last edited by humyum : 4th October 2023 at 14:46.
humyum is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 23:04   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
This definitely does not seem like a one off issue.

These are clearly the same issues everyone is complaining about and driving at higher rpm's is not a solution by any stretch.
The two videos you have shared are of people complaining of brakes becoming sluggish at high altitudes. Some in this thread too have pointed out having the same experience.

However, Anuj has reported a totally different issue of brakes going hard and unresponsive. That is an unique issue not reported by anyone else so far. I hope the issue is resolved in Anuj's Jimny. But I am yet to see a single reason to believe that it's a wider issue.

PS: The most likely reason for brakes becoming sluggish in high altitude driving is brake fade - which is simply a consequence of poor driving skills.

Last edited by PYSO : 4th October 2023 at 23:12.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 07:55   #56
BHPian

Quote:
The two videos you have shared are of people complaining of brakes becoming sluggish at high altitudes. Some in this thread too have pointed out having the same experience.

However, Anuj has reported a totally different issue of brakes going hard and unresponsive. That is an unique issue not reported by anyone else so far. I hope the issue is resolved in Anuj's Jimny. But I am yet to see a single reason to believe that it's a wider issue.

PS: The most likely reason for brakes becoming sluggish in high altitude driving is brake fade - which is simply a consequence of poor driving skills.
Just to clarify, my brakes went hard just after car crank / start as well when brakes were not used. So how can that be fading? Other people in videos have also said that brakes becomes hard to press. Even I have told that brakes seems like one tows a dead car without engine power. Brake fading does not make pedal hard.

Please see this post and the video. The guy says brakes becoming “hard” but then says pressure is too high as he might have less understanding of vacuum assisted brakes
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5632309 (Maruti Jimny AT | Brakes not functioning at low rpm at high altitudes)

With around 5L+ kms of driving under my belt (and done Ladakh circuit multiple times), I know for certain what issue feels like what.
Even in my morning video of Jispa, it’s clearly seen that the brake hard issue is seen in first cranking( can it be brake fading?). I request you again to see all post and videos before forming opinions as it might get the issue diluted.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th October 2023 at 11:58. Reason: toes = tows (in this context). Thanks.
purohitanuj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 10:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, please go through the problem statement of the issues reported. It was clearly mentioned with all indications that how and when it happened, how was it different than the brake fading phenomenon, how and when the issue got cleared on its own. And hence, how it was deduced that there could be a potential problem in braking system, brake circuitry of the Jimny under certain situations.

This must be investigated thoroughly by MSIL on basis of the findings communicated to them by the users facing same/ similar problems; and provide a proper, permanent solution through recall/ additional components fitment. Also, I would urge all Jimny users to report initial niggles, hurdles in extreme environmental conditions or extreme terrains where the Jimny is expected to sustain such extreme conditions and perform extraordinary.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 16:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Amit for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Hello,

I saw Anuj's post on Team-BHP and I am currently in Leh and facing a braking issue.

Update: A brake failure happened yesterday in Leh market when I was doing continuous braking in Leh's narrow streets due to curves and traffic. At one point, I found that there was no pressure in the brakes and even after fully pressing the pedal, the feeling was like nothing was happening.

Then, I checked the brake fluid and brake lines for any leakage and there were no issues found. So clearly, the car is not able to make enough pressure at high altitudes if we are using brakes frequently at low speeds.

Pics are from Solang Valley.
Maruti Jimny AT | Brakes not functioning at low rpm at high altitudes-jimny.jpg
RahulNagaraj is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 17:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here is one more Youtuber/facebook guy mentioning the same thing.

He clearly is not talking about brake fade.

In the video I had earlier shared, they mentioned, they needed to keep the car at higher rpm for the brakes to work better, similar to what people here have mentioned too.
humyum is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 00:33   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Just returned from an Umlingla trip with the SimplyJimny group (with 10 Jimny's) and I need to share some crucial findings with a timeline.

During my stop in Jispa, I attempted to move my Jimny (Alpha AT) the next morning, but was met with a startling discovery: Zero braking! The brake pedal felt rock solid and wouldn't budge.

Upon reaching Shinkula top, I realized my brakes were non-existent!

This same issue recurred with all Jimnys over the next couple of days.
I did reach out to some of the other Jimny owners in your convoy of 10 Jimnys. Contrary to your claims, they claimed that they didn't experience brakes going hard and unresponsive during the trip. They did experience some brake sluggishness though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Sir, please go through the problem statement of the issues reported. It was clearly mentioned with all indications that how and when it happened, how was it different than the brake fading phenomenon, how and when the issue got cleared on its own. And hence, how it was deduced that there could be a potential problem in braking system, brake circuitry of the Jimny under certain situations.
Tough to rely on the claims made by one person, when others in the same convoy have a different version of events. Please understand that the 4X4 community in India is rather well connected - there are lots and lots of other people you can reach out to, who have been to high altitudes with their Jimny.

Last edited by PYSO : 6th October 2023 at 01:01.
PYSO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks