Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Solutions Thread-Please post all you know about solving a car related problem.

Just thought of putting up a thread so that we could pool in Known Solutions to problems with our cars. All T-Bhp friends, please do post of any experience you have on solving any issue related to our beloved vehicles. PLease mention the following basic aspects before explaining your solution to the problem.

Vehicle(please also mention variant):
Total Km's done:
Problem:
Solution that worked for You:

MODS: Hope its ok to have a thread like this. And would appreciate if you move it in case you think this is not the correct place to post this. Thanks for managing such a great community.
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Adventure Sport 1.6

THought i should start with what i have. Probably many of you must be aware of this but thought of putting it here so that it could be easy for someone else to find.

Vehicle: FIAT Adventure Sport 1.6
Km's DOne: Nearly 8000km
Problem:
The vehicle misses a beat once in a while when driving. Whenever is happens i find that the rpm is somewhere near the 1500 mark. This does not happen always but just once in a while so left me confused and could not really show the service centre guys the problem durin test drives.

Solution:
Well the actual solution that i could find is only to keep the rpm above the 1500 mark!!! But i think i found out why this is happening. I mean the source of the problem could be identified. Based on review from friends on t-bhp, PUG and FCI, i tries keeping the vehicle stationary and checking if this 'missing' was happening around that rpm. I found out that simmilar to the problem, all lights dimmed somewhere near the same rpm. On further examination at the service centre we accidentally found out that this dimming of lights is happening at that particular rpm when the engine fan turns on. BINGO. SO the explaination is that the fan coming on is putting extra load on the engine which takes a second to adjust to the new load at the low rpm and the jerk is felt.

Just in case you want a full story visit:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...adventure.html

Just in case you are interested. Posting a cool analysis of the issue by one of our friends on t-bhp

"First of all, the Palio makes its peak torque quite high in the Rev range and given that, 1300-1500 rpm pull from each gear is on lower side. The beauty of computer controlled Fuel injection is that it varies the air-fuel ratio based on the load requirements. Could be that, when you are normally accelerating at those rpms (flat ground or slope) the air-fuel ratio chosen by the ECU is at a certain level. But the moment the fan kicks-in (fan load - atleast when working mechanically thru engine pulley in older cars, is actually quite high) aditional load is put on the alternator, which loads up the engine (by means of back torque). Thus the Engine needs to be given a richer feed to keep accelerating.

This jerk that you sense could be, the additional loading slowing the engine down for a moment, before the ECU passes the richer fuel feed to stabilise the engine.

This is mostly attributed to the torque characteristic of that particular engine, coupled to your driving style (might not be felt by all palio owners as they might not be shifting that early)."
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Vehicle: Maruti Suzuki WagonR VXi.
Kms done: 38,000
Problem: Of course, yes... Notchy gearshift.

Solution: There is no ready-made solution for this also. However, one thing i would like to add is that WagonR shift, though notchy should get better after some running. My car, although it doesn't have a butter smooth shift, doesn't miss a gear either. Its just that the throws are rather imprecise and doesn't slot in, as say, in the Swift.

Once the gearshift got rough, with gears refusing to slot in at first shift (particularly 1st, 3rd). I thought this must be what everyone is complaining of, and after our team-bhp discussion narrowed it down to oil change. Was proved wrong, when a linkage (broken) that was causing the problem came off completly stranding me in the middle of nowhere.

Details can be had in this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...est-night.html

So, better get the shifter checked if things get worse. And don't ignore it thinking that WagonR is rumoured to have very bad gearshift.

@Gemithomas: Nice thread. However, not sure how it will end up in the long run. One suggestion i would like to give is that, owners should post of their own vehicles, or vehicles with which they have first hand experience.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd August 2007 at 11:52.
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Vehicle: Maruti Suzuki WagonR VXi (however applicable to all cars)
Kms done: 38000

Problem: Vibrations creeping in after 80- 90- 100 kmph. Specially felt in the steering wheel. I had the same problem, and found that many people do complain of this problem (since they are few threads here in team-bhp itself)

Solution: Wheel balancing and wheel alignment. Get it done from a reputed tyre shop, and that should take care of the problem. Also make sure that you get wheel alignment done after changing tyres.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd August 2007 at 11:52.
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:57   #5
BHPian

@ gemithomas, a good idea

I did go through the thread mentioned. Somehow your 'cool' analysis and solution doesn't look convincing. I presume you are refering to radiator fan.

Then you would know that it runs on battery. I think Palios have a special feature where even when you switch off the engine, the radiator fan continues to run till the engine cools down. So, if the fan is easily driven by battery, even with engine off, where is the question of engine load coming in?
Lets post clear solutions- not conspiracy theories

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 3rd August 2007 at 11:58.
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
@ gemithomas, a good idea

I did go through the thread mentioned. Somehow your 'cool' analysis and solution doesn't look convincing. I presume you are refering to radiator fan.

Then you would know that it runs on battery. I think Palios have a special feature where even when you switch off the engine, the radiator fan continues to run till the engine cools down. So, if the fan is easily driven by battery, even with engine off, where is the question of engine load coming in?
Lets post clear solutions- not conspiracy theories
In case you just missed it, there are two speeds at which the fan runs on a FIAT. The faster turns come ON only when the engine is running. And my first sentence made it clear that i did not have a solution, i just said i found the reason. And between the fan coming on and the jerk on the engine there could be 'n' number of other connected factors. Nothing goes wrong just because of one reason. Its a series of things happening. And maybe i just touched the tip of the ice berg.

I guess i should always put a disclaimer line on all threads hereafter. Just to be clear of spoiling someones car by conspiracy theories. Whiteknight, Thanks for raising the point.
Old 4th August 2007, 23:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Vehicle: Maruti Suzuki WagonR VXi (however applicable to all cars)
Kms done: 38000
@ crazy - how can you forget the gear shift!
do post it here and what you did as well it seems we want a repeat
Old 4th August 2007, 23:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post
@ crazy - how can you forget the gear shift!
do post it here and what you did as well it seems we want a repeat
hehe... Xinome, look at the 2nd post. The one just above the post you qouted.

I wonder what you been drinking.
Old 5th August 2007, 00:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
hehe... Xinome, look at the 2nd post. The one just above the post you qouted.

I wonder what you been drinking.
appy fiz and lots of it! i see apples cool they are flying

you edited it after i posted! don't know how i missed it!

i have a couple of problems but my insurance took care of it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks