Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2023, 10:40   #1
BHPian

Reliance launches JioMotive OBD-based telematics for cars

Came across this information online. Seems Jio has launched OBD2 scanner with added features. Seems like they are trying for a complete car tracking solution.

https://www.reliancedigital.in/jiomo...rk/p/493071683

Reliance launches JioMotive OBD-based telematics for cars-screenshot-20231104-103926.png

One time purchase fee of 5K and then 500 Yearly charges for the app services.
sunbaj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 12:39   #2
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
Came across this information online. Seems Jio has launched OBD2 scanner with added features. Seems like they are trying for a complete car tracking .......

One time purchase fee of 5K and then 500 Yearly charges for the app services.
This seems to be a great OBD2 port scanner.
However Jio always seems to launch products made in China!! How are they importing and selling it? No quams whatsoever ? Jio of all people should be supporting Atmanirbar. Why couldn't a giant like Jio make this little device in India.

It is also locked to Jio and I don't think will work with any other scanners out there

Anyone who has bought it and used it please update on its performance. Thanks Sunbaj for the post.
airwarrior is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 14:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Reliance launches JioMotive OBD-based telematics for cars

Reliance launches JioMotive OBD-based telematics for cars - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 15:19   #4
BHPian

Even I had also come across this information online a few days ago. From the information provided by Jio it seems to be good but I am also waiting for its performance and reviews before buying it.
Old 7th November 2023, 16:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why would anyone in their right mind pay 5k for Jio to track and sell your data? Car manufacturers doing it is bad enough and now the company that describes data as the next oil also wants to have access to all your car related data?

Any thief that can break into and start a car is going to be intelligent enough to check the OBD2 port. The service centre is going to remove this device when you take it in for service by the reasonable excuse of having to connect their own diagnostics tools. A device that is hidden somewhere safe in your car might work as a tracking tool but this is just giving you an illusion of safety.
Cresterk is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 16:25   #6
BHPian

I think this came with VAG cars few years back, and I hear the performance was pathetic. It would never catch a mobile signal.

Also, 5K is too much for a device that does nothing more than just capture data from the car. In contrast, the Adrenox app for Mahindra does a lot more functions like remote start, open/close windows, set AC controls, etc for the same 5K.

Why would anyone use this device? Maybe fleet owners who want to geo fence the location? or an individual who employs a driver? Other than that, I don't see a usecase for this device.
shifu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 17:12   #7
BHPian

This is similar to the GoMechanic OBD gadget. But surprisingly that got delisted from their website a couple of months ago. My friend had it installed in his car for Rs.2k.
M_Poweredd_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 18:57   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is good for taxis or the owners of taxis having a fleet to monitor. As a personal car owner, I don't thing it is good to use it. Already we have Android and Apple to breach our privacy and now one more...

what next? putting a chip inside my brain!
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:36   #9
BHPian

I have a feeling that Jio is going to enter the Auto Insurance Business in a few years.

This is just probably a precursor to that.

Once the feasibility and effectiveness of the device is judged at scale, They'd start giving this out for free to their insurance customers for driving-performance based Insurance premiums.
ZenMaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I think this came with VAG cars few years back, and I hear the performance was pathetic. It would never catch a mobile signal.

Also, 5K is too much for a device that does nothing more than just capture data from the car.
You are right. Came with my Taigun and got it changed twice, the device does not work properly at all. Most of the owners have given up on this device & the features are also pretty useless for a so called connected car.
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:52   #11
BHPian

Is at an attempt to grab data of driving styles and link it to Jio financial services to offer car insurance ?
I would love so see an in-depth analysis of their privacy policy before installing.
Old 8th November 2023, 13:18   #12
BHPian

A while back, Mercedes had launched their own OBD connected device called ME-Adaptor. This was for pre-mbux vehicles which were not connected cars.
The Adapter used to be connected to the OBD port and there was a phone app and the phone would connect over Bluetooth to this adaptor and we could see the data. Data like fuel info, diver stats, trips, etc.

It was bluetooth only and could send the details only as long as the car was ON. I always felt that having a sim on the device would have been good. The real time tracking is also good.

There are 3rd party devices out there already doing that. The problem is that the devices need a network connection and we need to deal with the device, their subscription and then the network operator too.

Considering that, i found the JioMotive device very interesting. The esim uses the same data as our jio number. Yearly subscription of 500rs. Our vehicle data, home address, phone no, everything will be with JIO unfortunately.

Found some reviews too

Anyone used it and has handson review?
Old 9th November 2023, 12:50   #13
BHPian

While this is subjective, for me personally, the single most useful capability is Vehicle diagnostics, for which there are lot more economical options available already, which gathers and sends data to phone in near real-time over Bluetooth.

Jio's model of uploading to cloud, and then the phone App syncing that over Jio's network, well... it might interest me if Jio's cloud allows storing vehicle's historical diagnostics info over time, that I can go review and compare anytime I need. If such a capability existed, that might come as an extremely useful feature to understand vehicle's metrics over time and really help us single out problems when things go south. Otherwise, I see no particular benefit out of these so-called cloud tools if they don't allow us to compare data; on the contrary, in low network areas, even the basic info sync up between the device->Jio cloud->Jio App might suffer heavily.

Or, alternately I might consider this tool, if Jio has worked and certified with all major car manufacturers in India to surface the level of detailed diagnostics that these car makers normally enable their authorized service stations with. If Jio ticks that box, am all for it. Else a basic elm327, can do the basic Diagnostics job. I do not see a need for these fancy propositions.

On the same note, is anyone aware of a HUD that can show the car diagnostic info by syncing with a Bluetooth OBD device; I'd love to hear about that.

Last edited by TheCamShaft : 9th November 2023 at 12:56.
Old 9th November 2023, 22:41   #14

Got the Jiomotive, installation was pretty quick.
Data sync is almost immediate and seems to be accurate.
Worried if it is draining the battery even when the ignition is off.
Reliance launches JioMotive OBD-based telematics for cars-screenshot_20231109_201725_jiothings.jpg

Reliance launches JioMotive OBD-based telematics for cars-screenshot_20231109_223158_jiothings.jpg
Zen_forever is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 01:33   #15
BHPian

Might be a sensible product for older cars but most new cars from compact crossovers and above come with OEM GPS technology and a mobile app. So this device is just offering a wifi hotspot on top of that, although I do agree it's pretty cheap at 599/ year for now. The one-time cost is pretty high though at 5K. Wondering what sort of ecosystem is Jio working at? Surely this product is just one piece of a bigger market Jio is trying to capture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks