Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2007, 18:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
So the problem solved. But what I'm left wondering is that why did the alternator belt go loose in the first place. Did they open the alternator during the 2nd service for some job and then didn't tghten it up properly?
Well, as the belt is always in tension, it gradually elongates. Also, I believe this process accellerates during monsoons due to higher humidity. Hence, adjustment to belt tension has to be made. Its a simple 5 minute job and nothing to worry.

I am worried about the effect of spraying oil on the pulley etc. This may take away the noise, but may cause the belt to slip. Also, spraying oil on the engine will only attract dust to settle and you will have a very dirty engine. Not good at all. Stay away from such suggestions.
Old 10th August 2007, 18:42   #17
BHPian

Hi sforsarang, I had a similar problem with my Alto Vxi (it shares the F10D motor with the WagonR) & it was also resolved the same way as yours - tightening the alternator pulley !
I'm a little skeptical of posts advising lubrication of belts though, wouldn't it cause the belt to slip ? Seems rather counterproductive to me...
Old 11th August 2007, 17:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Hey....had just been to the service center. handed over my red cutie to them, they just revved up, opened the bonnet, did some tightening with tools (belt tightening)...when i asked the guy what he is doing..he said thats an alternator belt..when i asked is it same as the fan belt..he said..there is no fan belt in these cars...its automated...i didnt get anything of what he said...but just that he repaired the alternator belt and within few minutes, red cutie got back to work with same old hunger... oh my poor little babe ....probably couple of very long drives along with the heavy rains caused her pain......
Oh Gawd, but of course, the Wagon-R has an electronically controlled Fan and hence no fan belt. The Alternator belt it is then. More importantly, you got your problem solved. Enjoy the car and its ride minus the screeching sound now buddy!!
Old 12th August 2007, 00:27   #19

From California we to have monsoons they just don't last as long. What ever you decide to do about tightening the accessory drive belt (Proper name) DO NOT ever spray/drop any type of mineral oil on any thing made of rubber it will destroy it. If you need a quick fix for a squeaky belt use Coca Cola or some sugary drink it makes the belt sticky. be sure to tighten loose belts as leaving them loose creates friction/heat, and then cooks the grease out of the sealed Alt. ,A/C compressor bearings. Tom
Old 13th August 2007, 10:41   #20
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am really astonished as of how vast the knowledge base is, that is being shared here in our own forum. Everyday is a new learning experience as we browse through different threads. Team-Bhp rocks !!!

Cheers..keep going.

Sarang
Old 13th August 2007, 11:29   #21
BHPian

I second views on NOT adding any sort of lubricant or liquid to the belt, tightneing should get the problem resolved.

Any sort of lubricant or liquid may be a short term solution, but may cause the belt to detoriate even further and may eventuatlly lead to a replacement.
Old 7th December 2007, 12:27   #22
BHPian

Guys I have been having this problem with my Swift since the second service. Initially I thought it was something to do with the brake pads but then realised that they don't touch the brake pads in second service... thought the problem might go away in some time but it didn't. Third service was done a month back and I forgot to mention the problem.

So is it the alternator belt? And would they tighten this for free?
Old 8th December 2007, 11:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

All of this in just only the 2nd service?

Spraying oil is a practice mostly & generally employed by taxi drivers etc. Should never be followed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Well, as the belt is always in tension, it gradually elongates. Also, I believe this process accellerates during monsoons due to higher humidity. Hence, adjustment to belt tension has to be made. Its a simple 5 minute job and nothing to worry.

I am worried about the effect of spraying oil on the pulley etc. This may take away the noise, but may cause the belt to slip. Also, spraying oil on the engine will only attract dust to settle and you will have a very dirty engine. Not good at all. Stay away from such suggestions.
Old 8th December 2007, 11:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think so. But if they charge for doing this piddly thing, then I would be kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Guys I have been having this problem with my Swift since the second service. Third service was done a month back and I forgot to mention the problem.

So is it the alternator belt? And would they tighten this for free?
Old 17th December 2007, 08:21   #25
BHPian

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my santro 2001 make. I bought a small can of WD-40 spray, and surpisingly squeaking sound was gone after spray!

However I was not sure if it will work, thus I bought a smallest can possible. Now the can is empty and still there is little sound left (very little as compared to earlier).

I wish to know if I can spray while engine running to ensure uniform application of spray all over the belt body and rollers.

Can someone please advice. Thank you.
Old 17th December 2007, 11:45   #26
Team-BHP Support

Check and tighten the alternator/water pump belt and AC belt.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:42   #27
BHPian

Noise in OHC when you turn on AC

Whenever i turn my AC on on my OHC 1.3, i get this noise which i think is from the belt.

The noise goes away if i increase my speed and also if i keep my AC on for 15 min or so then it reduces a lot.

Surprisingly one of my friend who has a OHC 1.5 also has the same problem.

Does anyone know about this problem.

Please let me know

Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th February 2009 at 13:10. Reason: search please
Old 16th February 2009, 17:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

If it is not the compressor bearing then has to be the belt. In 99% cases it is the latter. Get it tightened and "that" noise should go. If not, then get the AC comp checked..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouravsinha View Post
Whenever i turn my AC on on my OHC 1.3, i get this noise which i think is from the belt.

The noise goes away if i increase my speed and also if i keep my AC on for 15 min or so then it reduces a lot.

Surprisingly one of my friend who has a OHC 1.5 also has the same problem.

Does anyone know about this problem.

Please let me know

Thanks
Old 16th February 2009, 17:48   #29
BHPian

The squeaking belt seems to be a common problem on a lot of cars. My Ikon has had it for the good part of a year now, even with first tightening and then replacing the drive/alternator belt.

The funny thing is, it only happens in my car on a cold start and then gradually fades away as the engine bay warms up.

For quick fixes such as tightening that work, all the better. I think I'll have another servicing station look at the problem...Metro Ford is pretty useless when it comes to fixing problems WITHOUT replacing the entire engine bay's components!

Seriously, the service advisor told me that "in order for this problem to go permanently, the belt's alternator bracket has to be replaced" (cost ~13k!!). No thanks Metro...
Old 19th February 2009, 07:53   #30
BHPian

The screeching sound is made by the loose serpentine belt which drives all the "accessories" in the car, like power steering, water pump, AC compressor etc over the idler pulleys. This noise is usually heard on cold morning start ups when your car "accessories" are working at full load.

Sometimes the water pump is driven by the timing belt instead (like in my car), but the timing belt is usually pretty snug and barely has any slack in it.

Most cars these days have a belt tensioner for the serpentine belt which could be used to tighten it accordingly. I'd strongly recommend getting the serpentine belt tightened instead of just lubricated as it could otherwise rip apart if it doesn't have the correct tension on it.

Most Viewed