Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 09:09   #1
BHPian

Is it the fan belt noise? Please guide

Team,

It seems that my loving red cutie (read wagon R here) is hugely disappointed over something and showing her dissent in her own way.
I have done second servicing just a week or two before and this problem has started since then. While in the first gear or in lower gears revving up the car, some sqeuaky noise comes (similar to the noise if someone at a fast speed suddenly brakes and the car makes a noise while skidding...chhh...chhhhhh)... I have few questions for this. Please guide.

1)This is not exactly the 'problem' because nothing has affected due to this noise, it is not louder and not eminent (though sometimes much easier to figure out when AC is ON), should I proceed with it or get it rectified ?

2) Is that what we call a fan belt noise? my guessing is, when the engine is just started the fan belt is loose and not in a proper position so the noise comes, but it lasts for hardly half a minute and then disappears. Same is the case when AC is ON, while at lower speeds, accelerating, it comes but then disappears when the car catches speed.

3) If it is not the fan belt noise then what it can be? how to diagnose and rectify? Also, it comes 'sometimes' not always so may not show the 'live demo' to the servicemen, so what should I tell them to look for?

4) Approx how much time will it take to rectify this prob in a service center if it is a fan problem? and what cost? my vehicle is not old and has just finished second servicing. Secondly, I am damn sure this noise has appeared AFTER second servicing. Earlier it was not at all there. so what could have gone wrong? They had earlier told me they do not check internal things in second servicing, so what would have happened?

5) If it is a fan problem then does it require special skills or anybody can do that? I rely on varun motors but it is far away from my place and mithra is nearer (have heard negatives about mithra servicing..I had serviced it from varun always)..so can i take it to any service center?

6) I am a bit hesitant to ask but beg your pardon if it is a silly question. here the 'fan belt' means the fan running the 'blower' or some other fan of engine? because the sound is eminent when i switch on AC and accelerate.

Thanks in advance. Can't see my red cutie sad help.

Sarang
sforsarang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2007, 10:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

All the symptoms that you mentioned point to the fan-belt. And since you say it happened after the second service, then they must have left it loose.

It is a 20 min job and the service centre should do it at no cost; you need to make yourself heard to get this done FOC.

Fan-belt refers to only one belt that is in the engine bay. The blower is electrically operated and has got nothing to do with the belt.

Since the AC puts an extra load, as soo as it is switched on the screeeeeching sound is bound to come if the belt is loose or dry. The latter seems inprobable since your WagonR is fairly new..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Team,

It seems that my loving red cutie (read wagon R here) is hugely disappointed over something and showing her dissent in her own way.
I have done second servicing just a week or two before and this problem has started since then. While in the first gear or in lower gears revving up the car, some sqeuaky noise comes (similar to the noise if someone at a fast speed suddenly brakes and the car makes a noise while skidding...chhh...chhhhhh)... I have few questions for this. Please guide.

Sarang
Old 9th August 2007, 11:15   #3
BHPian

As GD has advised above get the belt tightened and red cutie will run just fine.
Old 9th August 2007, 11:49   #4
BHPian

Even my Santro although 3+ years old is making similar noises .... only on increasing load on engine (by way of pressing the accelerator a bit to rev the car or when a/c is switched on).

I was told that its due to the fan belt but i didnt get anything done as i thought tightening may break the fan belt prematurely.

- Is this actually fan belt noise and should i go for tightening it ?
- Or is there some other workaround ?
- What about the a/c belt ?? ....
Old 9th August 2007, 12:22   #5
BHPian

Hey.. Is that due to the recent rains and / or water jamming in the fan belt area during servicing wash? Also, somewhere have heard that the fan belt should be kept loose even if it makes little noise, to avoid friction. if it is tightened much, will lead to premature wear and tear of the fan belt.
Should I just keep it as it is, and ignore and wait for it to get resolved once the rains disappeared ?
Planning to be present there when they actually tighten the belt. is there any way I can figure out right there that they have tighten the belt appropriately, not more not less. ????

Thanks and Regards
Sarang
Old 9th August 2007, 12:25   #6
BHPian

This screeching sound can be because of the alternator belt too at times. A desi nuska some one told me was to put a few drops of break oil on the belt when it moving. It solved the screeching sound in my case.
rishibravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2007, 13:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
This screeching sound can be because of the alternator belt too at times. A desi nuska some one told me was to put a few drops of break oil on the belt when it moving. It solved the screeching sound in my case.
Sforsarang, Firstly identify which belt is making the sound. The noise you are reffering to is most likely the fan belt noise.
With the motor OFF press down on the top of the belt. There should be only enough slack so the belt should depress lesss than or within an inch. If it can be depressed more, then the belt needs to be tightened and/or replaced. To silence a noisy belt, the best way is to keep a can of WD40 ready, open the bonnet, spray liberally on the pulley and on the belt. Start the car. The noise should have gone. If its still there, spray some more on the belt. This should temporarily solve the problem. Then drive straight to any mechanic or service station and have the belt tightened in 10-15 minutes flat, some times even earlier.
Old 9th August 2007, 13:50   #8
BHPian

Sarang

My best guess is, it's fan belt noise. My Zen makes similar noise when it rains hard and I drive over stagnent water causing a big splash. I guess when water touchs the fan belt it makes this noise. It used to disappear when I drive faster or at higher revs.

I din't do anything, it is not raining much in Kolkata now and the noise automatically has gone. So in my opinion it's nothing serious just wait and watch, if it does not disapper with the rains, then it's casue for worry.
Old 9th August 2007, 13:53   #9
BHPian

V-16,

after reading yours and other buddies' suggestions and diagnosis, I am pretty sure it is the fan belt thats making noise, but the noise is not eminent and it only persists for half a minute or so and then disappears, that also not always, sometimes. So I think all I should do is to get that checked up and tighten a bit. As the car has already completed major long drives, I guess that might have been the cause of fan belt loosening.
Old 9th August 2007, 13:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Should I call this a known problem with the Maruti's ? Its the fan belt sforsarang. Nothing to worry about, my friend had the same problem with the car and was fixed at a MASS.

Like v16 mentioned they used WD40 on the fan belt and no more squeeks from the engine bay.
Old 9th August 2007, 15:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

As you mentioned its a Fan belt issue. Even my car was giving out such sounds, a drive to the garage and little tightening of the fan belt solved the issue.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2007, 15:59   #12
BHPian

Try this-

I think this should solve your problem:

Take the engine oil dipstick out and run your finger on it to let 1-2 drops of oil accumulate on your finger. Now transfer this 1-2 drops on the inside surface of the fan belt. This gives it enough lubrication to let the noise disappear! This is a tried and tested method on my Cielo!

Dont put more than 1-2 drops of oil otherwise belt slippage may occur..

Old 9th August 2007, 18:09   #13
BHPian

Hey....had just been to the service center. handed over my red cutie to them, they just revved up, opened the bonnet, did some tightening with tools (belt tightening)...when i asked the guy what he is doing..he said thats an alternator belt..when i asked is it same as the fan belt..he said..there is no fan belt in these cars...its automated...i didnt get anything of what he said...but just that he repaired the alternator belt and within few minutes, red cutie got back to work with same old hunger... oh my poor little babe ....probably couple of very long drives along with the heavy rains caused her pain......
sforsarang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2007, 14:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Oh, I didn't know that Wagon R didn't have a fan belt. So the radiator fan is electronically controlled. But surely the alternator needs to run constantly to charge the battery hence the alternator belt. Then there would be another belt to run the AC compressor as well.

So the problem solved. But what I'm left wondering is that why did the alternator belt go loose in the first place. Did they open the alternator during the 2nd service for some job and then didn't tghten it up properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Hey....had just been to the service center. handed over my red cutie to them, they just revved up, opened the bonnet, did some tightening with tools (belt tightening)...when i asked the guy what he is doing..he said thats an alternator belt..when i asked is it same as the fan belt..he said..there is no fan belt in these cars...its automated...i didnt get anything of what he said...but just that he repaired the alternator belt and within few minutes, red cutie got back to work with same old hunger... oh my poor little babe ....probably couple of very long drives along with the heavy rains caused her pain......
Old 10th August 2007, 15:56   #15
BHPian

Dear,

There is no fan belt in Wagon R. I am sure the probelm mentioend here is frmo tehbelt that connects the Alternator frmo the motor pulley. You can identify this from the left side of the engine a belt going to lower back side in engine bay, connnecting the alternator.

This is a minor belt tightning thing as your Wagon R is new. But as I read about rains and water spalshing, pl also make sure that the alternator bearing is not rusted. This is a very common problem in Wagon R (Maruti I can say).

The alternator has got 2 bearings and due to heavy moister and water accumulation, the bearing gain rust and are out of lubrication at time. IN this case, once you start ur vehicle after few days it gives you noisy start as the belts are getting not moved properly. If the bearign jam is serious , it can end up brekaing the belt also.

- Vipul
vipul_bscity is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks