Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 13:45   #1
BHPian

Baleno steering loses recentering function after service from Indus Bharanikavu, Kollam, Kerala

Recently, a person I know, had to go through an unpleasant experience. Sharing his story below.

A Baleno (2017 model) was given for annual maintenance service at Indus Motors Bharanikavu, Kollam, Kerala in the first week of November this year. The car, before service, didn't have any issues and only required routine annual maintenance. But after servicing and wheel alignment, the it lost its automatic recentering function of the steering wheel. When the issue was brought to the notice of the SA, he casually remarked that it was a common issue with all Balenos. Have noticed in the reviews that the new Maruti cars are a bit reluctant in recentering of the steering wheel after a turn, but it wasn't the case with this car. The car, for the past 5 years, didn't have any recentering issues and only after servicing at the Indus Motors centre, has it started showing this issue.

Later, he showed the car to the nearby FNG and they had a tough time trying to solve the issue. Still the car isn't fully back to its original form and could only be brought back if parts are changed which might cost a hefty amount. The mechanic at the FNG felt that the service centre guys had rotated the steering wheel while wheel balancing without switching on the engine.

Sharing a video of the issue:
The issue is explained in Malayalam in the video. Notice the steering doesn't recentre after rotated fully.

Facebook link: Same posted by the person on his Facebook account.

We generally give our cars to the authorized service centres as we have trust in them. But the ordeal he has gone through makes one think whether one should go to these centres and give them the higher labour charge plus taxes or should one prefer a known mechanic?

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2023 at 05:27.
RR96 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 05:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Baleno steering loses recentering function after service from Indus Bharanikavu, Kollam, Kerala

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 08:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno steering loses recentering function after service from Indus Bharanikavu, Kollam, Kerala

Ask him to get the wheel alignment checked. A similar issue happened to me when I got WA done from a new shop with brand new equipment. The base values setup on the machine for my car model was wrong. After setting the values as per the previous WA report, the issue was resolved.
Jaguar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 09:33   #4
BHPian

The same issue occurred with my car, and I demonstrated this specific maneuver in front of the tech head at the Maruti service station. Afterward, they recorded videos, sent them to Maruti, and proceeded with the replacement of my steering assembly, which was already part of the unofficial recall. Initially, they were hesitant to replace it until I showed them the issue. The return action improved to some extent but nowhere close to what it should be like in most cars. IMO, the design geometry is inherently flawed but they seem to have fixed it in the newer models.

Last edited by MotoBlip : 18th November 2023 at 09:35.
MotoBlip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 10:04   #5
BHPian

Don't understand why Maruti doesn't offer a recall for all these stupid steering assemblies. I have a 2020 Wagon R and this issue is the most frustrating aspect of the otherwise lovely car. It's there from day 1 and no body acknowledges it and hence no solution provided.

I had a tough time initially to adjust to it but 3 years later have gotten used to it. Your video reminded me on my amusement when I used to experience this early on with the new car. Seriously don't know how Maruti continues with this part and haven't changed the setup on new Wagon R.
Maverick Avi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 10:27   #6
BHPian

There are whole threads about this issue recentering issue.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...aviour-12.html (Why the heck will Maruti-Suzuki not fix its defective & dangerous steering behaviour?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...l?#post5285022 (Rumour: Maruti Suzuki recall for steering column issue)

I replaced the steering child parts by paying 50% since mine was out of warranty by 1 month(although my VIN number was qualified under the recall), even after the replacement there is only a slight difference in the recentering.
You may check if your VIN number /chasis number was part of the recall
arjungod is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 13:35   #7
BHPian

Thank you for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Ask him to get the wheel alignment checked...The base values setup on the machine for my car model was wrong. After setting the values as per the previous WA report, the issue was resolved.
Will ask him. The FNG mechanic is of the opinion that some parts of the steering had got worn out. This could have happened after the MASS guys rotated steering wheel too much while the car was switched off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
The same issue occurred with my car, and I demonstrated this specific maneuver in front of the tech head at the Maruti service station... Initially, they were hesitant to replace it until I showed them the issue. The return action improved to some extent but nowhere close to what it should be like in most cars. IMO, the design geometry is inherently flawed but they seem to have fixed it in the newer models.
He had brought it to the notice of the service advisor and the service advisor brushed it off with simple excuses and didn't want to take responsibility for it. The owner now has decided that he would never approach this service centre again for the attitude they showed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Don't understand why Maruti doesn't offer a recall for all these stupid steering assemblies. I have a 2020 Wagon R and this issue is the most frustrating aspect of the otherwise lovely car. It's there from day 1 and no body acknowledges it and hence no solution provided.
.... Seriously don't know how Maruti continues with this part and haven't changed the setup on new Wagon R.
I too am familiar with this issue. But in this particular case the steering didn't have any problems before servicing. It would have been acceptable had it returned at least slightly, but here it appears to become stuck. This would become a serious issue if someone other than the owner is driving and isn't familiar with the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjungod View Post
There are whole threads about this issue recentering issue.
I replaced the steering child parts by paying 50% since mine was out of warranty by 1 month(although my VIN number was qualified under the recall), even after the replacement there is only a slight difference in the recentering.You may check if your VIN number /chasis number was part of the recall
Thanks. Will convey it to him.
Old 18th November 2023, 13:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

They have tightened the steering damper to arrest the noise coming from the steering assembly in lue of which the steering is jammed and not returning is what I can think of, could be alignment too as everyone has mentioned.

There are three ways to fix this.

1) If Alignment is an issue, get it back to specs and it should be good. A wild guess is, too much of toe in but could be wrong. If this does not solve, step 2 and 3

2) Open the assembly up, re grease everything, replace the bush if needed and adjust the damper. This is a time consuming exercise to get this just right

3) Loosen the damper and adjust it to have the best compromise between noise and return-ability.

And finally, if nothing works, replace steering. The newer Maruti's I hear come with a separate power steering and rack and pinion assembly, so not that costly and can be replaced as child parts.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 17:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
Will ask him. The FNG mechanic is of the opinion that some parts of the steering had got worn out. This could have happened after the MASS guys rotated steering wheel too much while the car was switched off.
I doubt that very much. All steering systems have mechanical end stops to prevent over rotating the steering wheel. Rotating the steering wheel with the engine switched off should not cause any problems. It feels heavier, but that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
They have tightened the steering damper to arrest the noise coming from the steering assembly in lue of which the steering is jammed and not returning is what I can think of, could be alignment too as everyone has mentioned.
Are you sure? I am not familiar with this particular car. In my experience a steering damper is a very simple device and can not be adjusted. It is similar in its operation as your shock absorbers. The damper doesn’t have any function in centring the steering wheel. It provides dampening in any position.

Have you got an image or drawing of this adjustable damper? Would be cool to see an adjustable damper.

Whether it is an allignement issue or a a damaged with part is easily checked. Lift the front wheels and turn the steering wheel. You should be able to turn the steering wheels pretty easily lock to lock.

You can also check for wear on the various ball joints too. Takes a bit more practice as you need to know how to check the play on each ball joint.

With a car on the lift, any competent mechanic can do a mechanical check of all suspension components in under five minutes. It is that straight forward.

But the most likely cause is an incorrect alignment in my opinion, as others point outed already.

Again easily checked and adjusted. However, working on alignments is often underestimated. You need good equipment, regularly checked, maintained and calibrated. And a mechanic that knows what he/she is doing. Not just looking at a screen with red and green numbers.

Good luck, let us know what the problem was

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 18th November 2023 at 17:42.
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 18:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Are you sure? I am not familiar with this particular car. In my experience a steering damper is a very simple device and can not be adjusted. It is similar in its operation as your shock absorbers. The damper doesn’t have any function in centring the steering wheel. It provides dampening in any position.

Have you got an image or drawing of this adjustable damper? Would be cool to see an adjustable damper...
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/repair...i-swift-petrol

Here, I don't have a drawing as such, but even my 15 year Swift Diesel has it. I have spent days of adjusting it at the service station after it was refurbished to get the right balance between, noise, reputability and tightness.

Its a nut below the steering rack.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th November 2023 at 21:59. Reason: Trimmed quote.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 20:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Here, I don't have a drawing as such, but even my 15 year Swift Diesel has it. I have spent days of adjusting it at the service station after it was refurbished to get the right balance between, noise, reputability and tightness.

It's a nut below the steering rack.

Thanks. Nice job on the steering rack overhaul!!

I am not sure that is actually what is typically described as a steering damper. Maybe it is a question of semantics?

The adjustments that you are making are with that nut, is play and or tighness. Of course, that also determines to some extent the friction within the steering Box. But friction is not the same as damping. And yes, when set incorrectly it might make the steering stiff to the point of not returning.

I checked a few Swift steering overhaul kits. I don't see a part called damper. There are bushes that do get tightened and obviously also, due to friction, cause more or less stiffness. But again that is not what a steering damper is about.

So far I have always dealt with external dampers. Here you see the old and the new one for my W123 I replaced last year I think.

Baleno steering loses recentering function after service from Indus Bharanikavu, Kollam, Kerala-screenshot-20231118-4.03.17-pm.png

I have also replaced the damper on my Jeep recently:

Baleno steering loses recentering function after service from Indus Bharanikavu, Kollam, Kerala-mini-optionsexpertisebureau-1.jpeg

Just a note on making the final adjustment on any steering box. Always and I mean always go by the book and with the tools prescribed in the book. By book I mean workshop manual or specification. It is impossible to adjust a steering box properly by feel and or sound. It might feel and sound right, but unless you have managed to get the play and tolerance set up in accordance with the exact specification you are likely to see wear again and more quickly than the previous time.

Ask me how I know.

But it is very unlikely these type of steering arrangments become more stiff over time. They tend to become looser over time, due to play and the internal bushings wearing down and providing less friction, start leaking and so. Also, there is no mention by the OP of any work carried out on the steering box. But an alignment was carried out and the problem appeared.

Maybe they did fiddle with the steering box settings? Maybe it was a bit loose and they tightened it prior to the alignment, that could definitely happen. It is impossible to do a correct alignment with play in any of the suspension and or steering components. Can't be done, so you need to fix/adjust that first!

Lets see.

Nice job on the steering rack overhaul by the way!!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 18th November 2023 at 21:01.
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 18:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Thanks. Nice job on the steering rack overhaul!!

I am not sure that is actually what is typically described as a steering damper. Maybe it is a question of semantics?

The adjustments that you are making are with that nut, is play and or tighness. Of course, that also determines to some extent the friction within the steering Box. But friction is not the same as damping. And yes, when set incorrectly it might make the steering stiff to the point of not returning.

I checked a few Swift steering overhaul kits. I don't see a part called damper. There are bushes that do get tightened and obviously also, due to friction, cause more or less stiffness. But again that is not what a steering damper is about.
Hi Jeroen,

You are right. Its a question of semantics, I just re verified, Swift does not have a damper, but the adjustment nut is what everyone calls a damper settings so just stuck through me.

That nut is what needs the right adjustment when overhauling or when the bush starts wearing out to keep the rack and pinion from clanking and making a noise.

Maruti guys always end up adjusting this very nut when the steering makes a noise or when the steering is too loose.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 22:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
A Baleno (2017 model) was given for annual maintenance service at Indus Motors Bharanikavu, Kollam, Kerala
Was steering column serviced during the service?
There is a chance that they over tightened something somewhere.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 23:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwal_Aayush View Post
Was steering column serviced during the service?
There is a chance that they over tightened something somewhere.
Don't know about it, but if it had been done, the SA would have mentioned about it. Also do they do so commonly in the annual maintenance? I'm not aware.
Old 22nd November 2023, 12:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know about it, but if it had been done, the SA would have mentioned about it. Also do they do so commonly in the annual maintenance? I'm not aware.
It should be mentioned in the estimate sheet (if it was mentioned by your friend) and in the bill as well(not sure but do check).
This is not common in the annual maintenance but if they found some noise coming from the steering they might have done some preventive maintenance.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks