Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 23:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Taigun breakdown due to EPC failure | VW dealership takes almost a month to repair car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I had scanned the car but the failed / erratic sensor dod not show up. All I got was reset Throttle Body and rich mixture
Did you use a proper body scanner that recognises make and model specific codes. Or just a generic scanner?

Jeroen
Old 22nd December 2023, 23:48   #17
BHPian

Re: VW Taigun breakdown due to EPC failure | VW dealership takes almost a month to repair car

Being in the market for a 18-24 lacs car, won't touch these with a bargepole. Very sorry to hear your ordeal and hope other members like me won't face this crap.
Old 23rd December 2023, 09:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Did you use a proper body scanner that recognises make and model specific codes. Or just a generic scanner?

Jeroen
I used a Ross-Tech scanner and software made for VAG cars..
Old 23rd December 2023, 12:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I used a Ross-Tech scanner and software made for VAG cars..
Those are pretty fancy. What did the live data show you?
Throttle bodies rarely cause a running rich condition by themselves. The running rich is an indicationmsomething else was amiss.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 23rd December 2023 at 12:12.
Old 24th December 2023, 15:28   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Those are pretty fancy. What did the live data show you?
Throttle bodies rarely cause a running rich condition by themselves. The running rich is an indicationmsomething else was amiss.

Jeroen
This was sometime ago so I do not remember the exact code but the data never pointed to a faulty or non-functioning coolant sensor. The fault codes exhibited did point to recalibrating the Throttle Body which was a false alarm.
Old 24th December 2023, 17:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This was sometime ago so I do not remember the exact code but the data never pointed to a faulty or non-functioning coolant sensor. The fault codes exhibited did point to recalibrating the Throttle Body which was a false alarm.
Yes, even with an OBD scanner it is not always obvious. In this case, the combination of the two is a bit of a giveaway.

There can be multiple reason for the running rich condition. The throttle body is not one of them. So there is another reason for the running rich condition.

Live data will give an idea of certain engine parameters are out of whack. A coolant sensor can have a correct reading, an erroneous reading or no reading. The latter is the easiest as it will definitely show up as an OBD code. An erroneous reading can be a bit more tricky to detect. It might indicate a low temperature, whereas the engine is actually probably warmed up. It might be a wonky thermostat, but your coolant sensor doesn't know that.

So you need to look at the live data to determine whether the actual measurements are making sense. So if the engine is warmed up properly and your coolant sensor is still showing a low reading, it is very likely for it to be broken. Still showing a reading, just incorrect.

Jeroen
Old 27th December 2023, 20:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by al90 View Post
For a known issue like the EPC error at service centers should have spares in surplus and this is something VW need to look into.
Out of curiosity, what fuel do you use? I often got EPC errors on my Superb when I used Shell V-Power. After moving the XP95, I've never that issue!
Old 2nd February 2024, 01:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know what caused the EPC light? What part(s) did they replace. Are these the one that fail most commonly? Just asking out of interest. There are many reasons, and subsequently many parts, that can cause an EPC failure.
am not exactly sure of the root cause, what they told me that it most probably was bad fuel, and am also inclined to think that since I deviated from my usual pump HP to Indian oil. The fuel injectors were what was replaced.

Am attaching images of all the parts that were replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Taigun breakdown due to EPC failure | VW dealership takes almost a month to repair car-whatsapp-image-20240202-1.18.54-am-1.jpeg  

VW Taigun breakdown due to EPC failure | VW dealership takes almost a month to repair car-whatsapp-image-20240202-1.18.54-am-2.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks