Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2007, 10:59   #1
vidvai

The Newbie Thread: Things you were scared to ask

Hey,
Well, I have recently realised that my knowledge(if you can call it that) is even less than negligible and most of the things that i dont know/understand are things which i assume would be laughed at or would be too obvious to ask.
Hence, this thread.
I would like this thread to be used by everyone who always wanted to ask something but didn't because they were too ashamed to ask.
My list:
1. How is the ICE connected to the battery? Does one directly just join the wires to it? Is there some connector? How?
2. How does one connect something which can work from the cig lighter, directly to the battery? For eg, I have a pair of black neons in my car, they each had a cig lighter connector, but the installer connected them directly to the car with an anupam switch in between. How is this done?
3. How does one remove the carpet for all the wires etc?
4. Is it possible to remove the seat covers, wash them in a washing machine, get them ironed and them put them back on yourself?
5. What does it take for a tyre to burst?

The list is never ending and i will keep posting.
I just hope that this thread would help people like me do some DIYing and save some money in the process.

Mods, please move this to the appropriate forum if this is not fine. Thanks.

V

Old 16th August 2007, 11:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidvai View Post
1. How is the ICE connected to the battery? Does one directly just join the wires to it? Is there some connector? How?
It's not connected directly to the battery but there is one set of wires which comes from the battery and is routed all around the car. This bunch is an indirect connection to the battery with relays and switches. This comes out near the dashboard and is called the wiring harness. That's why the system turns on only when you turn the key.
2. How does one connect something which can work from the cig lighter, directly to the battery? For eg, I have a pair of black neons in my car, they each had a cig lighter connector, but the installer connected them directly to the car with an anupam switch in between. How is this done?
The cig lighter is just a 12V supply. If you tap the wire by making a cut to it and connect the wire you can operate them with a switch. I don't think this is advised as it is better not to do any cutting of the original wiring in the car.
3. How does one remove the carpet for all the wires etc?
Carpet is just fixed to the body with button clips. Just unbutton all the clips and you can see the naked body underneath where all the wires are routed.
4. Is it possible to remove the seat covers, wash them in a washing machine, get them ironed and them put them back on yourself?
No the original seat covers are stitched on so really cannot be removed unless you plan to replace them permanently.
5. What does it take for a tyre to burst?
There are many factors for this. From tyre wear, to overinflation, to puncture. You can search around in the tyre section.
Hey Vidvai, Actually there's nothing to be ashamed in asking. Even if you ask in the relevant section you will get a response. Remember almost all of us started off as newbies who din't know much. Also, more often than not your questions may have been answered to in another thread.

ps: your answers in bold.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:24   #3
vidvai

Thanks alot vid6639!

"4. Is it possible to remove the seat covers, wash them in a washing machine, get them ironed and them put them back on yourself?
No the original seat covers are stitched on so really cannot be removed unless you plan to replace them permanently."

Not the factory fitted ones, the aftermarket ones. The only thing i want to know is whether it would be simple enought to fit them back on.

"1. How is the ICE connected to the battery? Does one directly just join the wires to it? Is there some connector? How?
It's not connected directly to the battery but there is one set of wires which comes from the battery and is routed all around the car. This bunch is an indirect connection to the battery with relays and switches. This comes out near the dashboard and is called the wiring harness. That's why the system turns on only when you turn the key."

So all the wires form the ICE (HU, Amp) go to the wiring harness?

Old 16th August 2007, 11:25   #4
vidvai

Another question:

What controls the battery charging? As in, how does the battery start charging on its own once the car starts? Is there some sort of "tripping" that happens? Something like a UPS?

Old 16th August 2007, 11:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks alot vid6639!

Not the factory fitted ones, the aftermarket ones. The only thing i want to know is whether it would be simple enought to fit them back on.

Yup most of the cloth seat covers can be dry cleaned.

Nope only to the HU. the Amp is connected direct with a fuse in between.
Quote:
What controls the battery charging? As in, how does the battery start charging on its own once the car starts? Is there some sort of "tripping" that happens? Something like a UPS?
The engine charges the battery via the alternator. The alternator converts mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy. this is the basic principle.
Old 16th August 2007, 14:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Should be simple enough if you know what you are doing.

However, its better to use the vaccum cleaner for fabric seats, or cleaning foam for leather seats. For more info, see this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...esthetics.html
Old 16th August 2007, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
This comes out near the dashboard and is called the wiring harness. That's why the system turns on only when you turn the key.
Hey, my music system(blaupunkt) can be turned on and off without the key also by pressing the Blue Dot (of course it works normally with switching on and off with the Key) Does that mean it's not connected in the normal way ?I hope there is nothing wrong with it.
Regards
Kaushik
Old 16th August 2007, 19:17   #8
vidvai

^^
A similar thing happens with my kenwood system, but only the cd eject function works.

Old 16th August 2007, 20:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey, my music system(blaupunkt) can be turned on and off without the key also by pressing the Blue Dot (of course it works normally with switching on and off with the Key) Does that mean it's not connected in the normal way ?I hope there is nothing wrong with it.
Regards
Kaushik
What is there to be scared to ask such things?

Let me explain to you Kaushik.

Every HU has 2 power connections.
  1. Yellow - Always on
  2. Red - on when the key is on
Now actually the HU runs from the yellow wire. But the red wire is used to trigger it on or off.

This is all fine, but in older european cars, there was no accessory position on the key. Take the Fiat (built like a tank) Uno for example. The key was either off - or in ready-to-fire ignition mode, with the ignition coil/heater etc. on.

When the car has an accessory position, you can switch the HU and the Cig Lighter etc. on without actually switching anything else on. This is useful in case you want to sit by the sea and make out with a special lady, while you listen to music.

But if the car has no accessory position, then in trying to keep the HU on, you run the ignition coil, heater etc. throughout the make-out session. This is not good for the car and for the battery.

To overcome this possible situation, the Germans at blaupunkt came up with a design that allowed you to switch the HU on without the key. Even though the HU has switched off (Because you've turned off the key) by pressing the blau punkt (the blue dot/point) you can switch the HU on for the make-out session.
But again (german engineering at it's peak) with the key missing in the car. the HU will turn itself off again in a hour, to prevent the battery from running down. So restrict your making out to 60 minutes. OK? OK!
Old 16th August 2007, 20:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^
A similar thing happens with my kenwood system, but only the cd eject function works.
Yes. This too is designed this way. So you can ejaculate the CD without fumbling for the key.
Old 16th August 2007, 20:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, everything except the amplifier. Because the amp needs extra juice, with no restrictions in between, it is routed straight to the battery.
Old 16th August 2007, 21:24   #12
vidvai

^^
So basically, its just connected to the battery? Thats it? Would that not mean that the amp is always on? As in, i think the battery would be an independent source of energy right? So, since the wiring harness et al dont come in between, the amp would be supplied with electricity all the time, or does the HU actually control the "switch on" and "switch off" of the amp?

Old 16th August 2007, 22:23   #13
BHPian

what is the red triangular button seen on the facia of some modern cars?
Old 16th August 2007, 22:25   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Yes. This too is designed this way. So you can ejaculate the CD without fumbling for the key.
Sam sir what is this "ejaculate" or you mean to say ejact.
Old 16th August 2007, 22:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Sam sir what is this "ejaculate" or you mean to say ejact.
correct yourself, it is eject, not ejact ....LOL

Obviously Sam Kapasi did not mean that, if he did there would have been a smiley right next to that. Why would you want to talk about something that has not been said ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks