Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you prioritize Longevity&Repairability, over features, in your vehicle purchasing decisio
Yes, I prioritize Longevity & Repairability over features 185 96.86%
No, I prefer the latest and greatest features with a max ownership of 2 to 5 years. 6 3.14%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 14:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Right to repair, longevity & building a culture of engineering/do-it-yourself/right-of-ownership

While I support Repairability, I dont think DIY should be encouraged.

Most people in India hardly care to understand basic driving manners, learning DIY is far fetched expectation.

There is a very small portion of the population which has the skills to perform DIY. Anything more than a oil or bulb change is too complicated for a common man. My problem however is, with the glorified Jugaad culture of India, most people will try to save costs and do a shoddy job with stuff which may impact safety. Also chances of people hurting themselves is very high. (My friend got his finger severed while cleaning the chain of his RE!).
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 18:37   #17
BHPian

Re: Right to repair, longevity & building a culture of engineering/do-it-yourself/right-of-ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
There is a very small portion of the population which has the skills to perform DIY. Anything more than a oil or bulb change is too complicated for a common man. My problem however is, with the glorified Jugaad culture of India, most people will try to save costs and do a shoddy job with stuff which may impact safety. Also chances of people hurting themselves is very high. (My friend got his finger severed while cleaning the chain of his RE!).
I hope your friend is doing alright!

In India, DIY culture is very nascent. There aren't any proper resources or even good quality tools available for DIY enthusiasts. However, the DIY community is growing in India. It would be a great disservice to that community if DIY is entirely discouraged.

Proper practices, safety consciousness, using PPE, using the right tools and the knowledge of how to use the tools properly are some of the things that DIY communities need to stress upon.

There are many bicycle enthusiasts that work on their own bicycles because they don't trust many bicycle repair shops to use proper torque specs for fasteners. Similar is the case with bike and car DIY enthusiasts. However the scope of injury is greater in the case of Bike and Car DIY. Especially if they do not follow all the safety precautions.

We unfortunately have a callous attitude towards rules and safety. I was reading somewhere about Japanese Toyota Engineers when they go to their workplace, they carry their own tools and PPE and are always safety conscious and have a sense of pride about their tools. Such culture is absent in India. Despite doing "Shastra Pooja" and "Ayudh Pooja" every year for Dussehra, we fail to maintain our tools properly, keep them calibrated and in spec. Many things we do are merely a formality and not really done with the right spirit.

It's hard to convince our own family members to buckle up in our cars! Hence, expecting the DIY community at large to follow safety regulations for DIY is indeed foolishness.

In fact, if you tell your family that you want to get yourself a torque wrench so that you can tighten your wheel lug nuts properly and hence spend for Rs. 5k for a torque wrench, they'll look at you as if you're out of your mind. They're perfectly ok with the neighborhood garage and wheel alignment guy massively overtightening the lug nuts with air guns, but if you intend to work on your car with a precision tool, such an expense is frowned upon. Despite knowing that an overly tightened bolt will probably break or shear off during an emergency.

There's a cultural aversion to manual work in India. Blue collar jobs are frowned upon and they don't garner much respect from the common people. Only enthusiasts and DIY folk get excited about properly done fasteners and specifications.

I know it's a long rant but that's the state of DIY scene in India. Lack of availability of good tools, equipment, ignorance about safety standards or procedures are just some of the issues with DIY scene in India.

I wish we'd start respecting the grunt work and blue collar jobs more.

I personally love DIY and would never want any regulations to prevent me from working on my own vehicles.
vamsi.vadrevu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 23:36   #18

There is bad culture of owning a car for 5 years and moving on to new car. In genral they dont want to deal with repairs and niggles and also represent in society to own a car of current generation. Sustainability and right to repair comes into picture here. I cant think of brand beyond toyota in current lineup. Rest are all just pushing customer needs (5 years) or pushing poorly researched automobile or less sustainable parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks