Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which exhaust arrangement do you prefer?
Single / Double Downturned 14 9.93%
Double on single end of car 24 17.02%
Single on either end of car, circular tips 39 27.66%
Single on either end of car, free-flow tips 22 15.60%
Quad setup 57 40.43%
Others (Please specify in your post) 7 4.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2024, 13:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The best kind of exhaust setup

As it turns out, in the current scenario grateful that cars still have an exhaust, rather than the kind of setup it has.

When I was a kid growing up in Riyadh, single exhaust meant normal 4 cylinder cars. Diesel cars had their exhaust turned down. Sideways exiting exhaust meant American pick trucks and SUVs. An exhaust on both sides meant executive cars with 6 cylinders and quad exhausts meant full blown V8 powerful cars. So much so, when my parents saw XUV500s and Arias with exhausts on both sides in India, they asked me whether they were 6 cylinders.

Ofcourse would prefer exhaust pipes on both sides for symmetry, but any inline-4 cylinder engine having an exhaust on each end of the bumper is just pure aesthetics and not functional. Hate when one exhuast is sooty, while the other is clean and shining. Also loved the 2000s era designs where exhausts where integrated/flush into the bumper design. But also hate that it lead to todays fake exhaust era. Also hate the sporty ones with single exhaust on one side but has a big end tip with chrome. The Punto Abarth comes to mind.

So YES to exhausts on both sides or invisible exhausts or downturned exhausts. Even single exhaust pipes that do not even try to be fancy. But one look at them and you know they come from a powerful engine.

NO to those fake exhausts by Mercedes (even if there is a functional quad pipe system behind the bumper) or single exhausts with fancy chrome oversized tips.

Love the 2000s Toyota Mark X integrated to bumper exhausts. Though guess they are not really integrated with the bumper (vibrations), they still have an exhaust tip behind that chromey bit. Also seen later in Lexus Ls460 and Toyota Crowns.

The best kind of exhaust setup-mark-x.jpg
Pic from PAKwheels.com

Hate the Rs. xxx chrome bit to clip onto the exhaust tips. Factory fitted from Fiat.

The best kind of exhaust setup-abarthpunto29.jpg
Pic from official TeamBHP review

And whatever this is.

The best kind of exhaust setup-mg-gloster.jpg
Credit: Gloster Pic by Leoshashi
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 05:55   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

6 into 6, no baffles, wins for me everytime. Plus, it sounds like a Ferrari when you give it the beans and it sucks through 6 carburettors. DOHC 24 Valves, 1047cc, 105HP, 224k/mh all that in 1978 !!!
Attached Thumbnails
The best kind of exhaust setup-cimg1015.jpg  

The best kind of exhaust setup-cimg1018.jpg  

Redex is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 20:58   #18
BHPian

I like all kind of exhausts whether it's single, twins or center exit. Here are some crazy JDM exhausts for you to see

Single
The best kind of exhaust setup-nissanskyliner34gtr-exhaust.jpg
Source - Link

Bosozoku

The best kind of exhaust setup-steve240z.jpg
Source - StevesPOV

The best kind of exhaust setup-takeyarijapanscrazybamboospearexhaustfetishforbosozokucars.jpg
Source - Link

The best kind of exhaust setup-nagoyaexcitingshowdown14130.jpg

The best kind of exhaust setup-speedhuntersdinonagoyatoyotacrownms130.jpg

The best kind of exhaust setup-nagoyaexcitingshowdown14149.jpg

The best kind of exhaust setup-speedhunters_ron_celestine_kaidomeet13.jpg

Source - Speedhunters

The best kind of exhaust setup-tas-exhuast.jpg
Source - Link

The best kind of exhaust setup-toyota-crown.jpg
Source - Link
Old 22nd February 2024, 23:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Simple answer: I don’t care!

It doesn’t matter to me if the car sports fake exhaust tips or real, one or two or four. As long as the overall design is cohesive, it makes no difference.

It’s not as if we are getting V8s in India. Nobody is getting fooled by the ‘dual exhausts’ of your 1400-1500cc Creta or Seltos or A Class.
I voted for others. It's acoustics for me rather than optics. IMO, more fun to hear exhaust note than see lay-out of pipes

Yes, what a sound American V8s have! Especially Dodge Challenger V8. I am not sure if Japanese V8s (ones in Toyota LC) can sound as exciting. Accord V6s sound nothing like Chevy Camaro or Mustang V6s. That said, I am not sure if the cars I saw in U.S. had stock exhaust or modified.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 01:39   #20

when i read about the title i thought you were going to discuss about the 4:2:1 or 4:1 setup. this is more about aesthetics. with these strict norms, exhaust notes are not the same as before.
freelancer6202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 07:24   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I It's acoustics for me rather than optics.
Yes, what a sound American V8s have! I am not sure if the cars I saw in U.S. had stock exhaust or modified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer6202 View Post
this is more about aesthetics. with these strict norms, exhaust notes are not the same as before.
I subscribe to all these facets; aesthetics, acoustics and performance. I think all three are important. I consider myself lucky because the stock set up on my particular car, lends itself to all three.

However, not being content with this, my car’s previous owner installed a Magnaflow system with a deeper growl and slightly wider twin pipes located in the centre of the rear bumper, same as the stock setup. So when I bought my car second hand, I received the advantages of all of these things. Suits me fine.

The looks and the sound of this gives me plenty ‘jollies’ and the burble of the overrun when going down some twisties and fiddling with the paddles or M/S mode is truly thrilling.

Even in my middle-age I like my car to make Brrrm Brrrm noises and that growly drone when on the highway.

I like to think of it as a sort of ‘Executive Growl’ .

And there is Nothing quite like getting these simple happy thrills in life.
Attached Thumbnails
The best kind of exhaust setup-img_4178.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd February 2024 at 07:29.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks