Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2024, 13:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Why don't cars display 'Fuel Remaining' data?

Fuel remaining and usable fuel are two very different figures. Aviators will tell you the criticality of the two! For a very layman explanation, depending on the construction of the tank (more applicable to metallic tanks and my guess either due to design- the center tube or frame member, in bikes and to prevent rusting in a empty/ dry tank, in case of cars) there will always be some unusable fuel in the tank. This may not be measurable accurately depending on the height of the pickup head/ inlet. So whilst fuel remaining could be calculated based on tank volume, the usable fuel may not be so simple to calibrate.
I know of a case where someone borrowed and ran a 2nd gen Honda City of my friend, to low fuel level. Since my friend was out of town and when he got back the car wouldn't start and had to be towed. The ASS said there was rust in the fuel pump (due to it being run-dry and left unattended) and a hefty premium was paid to get it changed. The DTE in modern cars always caters for a reserve and is more of a warning sign than a, 'Try and prove me wrong!' sign, so general advice react to it in time rather than challenging it. Bottom line fuel remaining does not directly translate to range remaining.
Freespirit27 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 18:40   #17
BHPian

For some VW cars, the option is there, but disabled. I got it enabled but I dont use it much. I dont have it enabled as a default selection in the MID. The only time it comes in use is when I go to a pump to refuel. If I am not in a rush, I enable that view, and compare it to the actual fuel the pump operator filled. Its not accurate but helps me confirm that I was not cheated outright by the operator. Say MID shows 32 lts remaining, operator fills 33 ltrs - that is fine. But if using some trick, his pump meter showed 40lts then that could mean he was cheating. It hasn't happened yet so I have not really thought what action I could take if such a discrepancy showed up. Its just for my peace of mind I guess.
Old 25th February 2024, 21:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
This is what exactly I was looking for. I was not aware that Hector displays such information in their app.
I know others may have different opinion, but for me, I would be more comfortable if I get to know the 'remaining fuel quantity' data rather than DTE data.
Suzuki Connect App also remaining fuel quantity in %age form for my Invicto
Old 25th February 2024, 21:42   #19
BHPian

As far as I know, every car user manual indicates the amount of fuel remaining in the tank when the reserve indicator glows.

That's a figure which is good enough to guess how much distance the car will go on reserve fuel.

I use the lowest efficiency figure to calculate the distance I can go on reserve fuel.

Since such instances are a one off occurance, I don't see the need to indicate this information on the dashboard.

Even if someone intentionally does that, getting stranded just once will be good enough to remember the distance the car will go on reserve fuel

Cheers
Old 25th February 2024, 23:34   #20
BHPian

I think all fuel indicators in cars use float mechanisms due to the fuel tanks being suspended from above.

Trucks have fuel tanks supported from below. This allows use of load cells that can measure weight of fuel and easily convert it to litres on display which in my opinion is most accurate measurement.
Of course only Volvo can take such pain!
Old 26th February 2024, 00:04   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Most VAG cars have an option of having the volume to be replenished in multiples of 5. This has been really helpful on some of my highway trips!
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 10:08   #22
BHPian

In my Honda city, the range becomes ZERO even when there is good 6-7 Liters still left in the reserve.

To test this scenario, once i have driven approx. 100 Kms after the range became zero. I would have driven some more but my patience wore out and my subsequent tank fill shows 42 Liters petrol on a 40 Liters tank capacity. So in short:

- Range could be inaccurate number (Although universally understood). The DTE calculations (current mileage*liters left) could be set by manufacturer keeping some safety margins (reserve) for the users.
- The actual fuel input could be more than the declared tank capacity (Additional space - hose, pipes voids etc.)
- Exact fuel left along with the DTE would certainly be more informative and stress reliving

Last edited by UD17 : 26th February 2024 at 10:10.
Old 26th February 2024, 12:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

On a similar note, in most cars, DTE goes blank after a certain number like 50. This is quite irritating. For e.g. I am on a highway, fuel is like 25%. I start seeing DTE. LEts say it starts from 150. Everything is fine till about 50, then it just blanks and gives a '-'. Why does it have to be this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks