Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2024, 16:47   #1

XUV700 Turbo-Petrol: Random power loss & check engine light

Folks help me out, please advise if anyone has faced a similar issue and found the root cause of the problem.

Issue - power reduced from the engine (limp home) while driving

Scenario - After a turn or at the signal when trying to move forward the power to the engine is considerably reduced and had to manage the traffic somehow and come to the extreme left of the road.

1st occurrence - Had a drive of 15 km with a top speed of 100 and average speed of 40 to 50 km/h. On taking a U turn found the shortage of power in the engine and observed the engine check lamp ON
This was my first ride after bringing the car from the showroom. The ODO might have been only 60 or 70 km. During this incident, I and my family experienced a burning smell for a short duration. After this, I immediately parked on the roadside and opened the hood to check for any overheating or further smell. But could not judge anything, apart from the coolant level being at the centre of the tank, which i believe was somewhere between min and max.
After starting the car the engine check lamp was gone. I drove the car at minimum speed to home.
(This incident was like a heartbreak for me and couldn't digest and let go.)
This was second car that showroom had delivered to me. The first one, I had refused because it did not look like a new one. Had several stains near the roof grab handle in the 2nd row and also near the sunroof closing position. Also i could spot couple of round circles on the bumper giving the impression of a new sticker being removed, before fixing the part.(This is just my hypothesis that a test driven and minor repaired car was being pushed for sale. ) I had also demanded them to fetch the 'total Engine run hour' information to fetched from the tool which should evidently tell whether it was relatively new vehicle kept in yard or was being driven across and then revamped. It seems this information is only available for the diesel vehicles.

2nd occurrence - I drove 5-6 km and after a U-turn, the same issue happened but the burning smell was not there. The issue vanished on the next engine start. This issue had occurred around ODOmeter reading of 120 or so.

3rd Occurrence - this has occurred recently around 800 ODOmeter reading and after some gap from the first two incidents. Unlike the first two scenarios, this time the incident happened at halt and go at the signal.

Mahindra Support - After the first two incidents I took the vehicle to the service center and explained the problem. Technicians looked at the trouble codes and the fuel line assembly and did some analysis but couldn't find anything.

My experience - All the three occurrences occurred when the vehicle had halted and then started to move forward. (At low speed).
Lucky so far. Thoughts of overtaking on the single lane and getting into scary situation of reduced engine power send chills down my spine. Cant stop the feeling of a bit of frustration and anger towards the quality of the product.

There was no instance of revving up the engine on higher rpm or long rides or keeping the vehicle under direct sun in all the 3 cases.

Two threads that I have gone through, to understand a similar situation, are the faulty EVAP and Idling before start and stop of the Car. But reached no conclusion.

Let me know what else can I try to make this issue repeat more frequently and in turn help the technicians to root cause and debug.
onwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 18:57   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: XUV700 Turbo-Petrol: Random power loss & check engine light

These Mahindra Petrols behave funny from time to time. Last year in June '23, I faced a similar issue. Started the Thar after a restaurant meal and the engine randomly entered limp mode. Extremely limited revs, IIRC, the engine struggled to go over 2000 - 2500 rpm. Pulled over, restarted the engine and it was all good. Luckily, I haven't faced the issue again. Sent it to Mahindra just in case, and they found nothing wrong.

Navpreet had complained about something similar, and then fixed it - link.

Many other complaints on Team-BHP - link to search.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 18:40   #3
BHPian

Similar issues were faces by me. It turned out to be a faulty brake switch. After replacement a few months ago, things have been fine. Wouldn't hurt to get it checked.
Sumer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 11:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwheels View Post
Folks help me out, please advise if anyone has faced a similar issue and found the root cause of the problem.

Issue - power reduced from the engine (limp home) while driving

Scenario - After a turn or at the signal when trying to move forward the power to the engine is considerably reduced and had to manage the traffic somehow and come to the extreme left of the road.

1st occurrence - Had a drive of 15 km with a top speed of 100 and average speed of 40 to 50 km/h. On taking a U turn found the shortage of power in the engine and observed the engine check lamp ON
This was my first ride after bringing the car from the showroom. The ODO might have been only 60 or 70 km. During this incident, I and my family experienced a burning smell for a short duration. After this, I immediately parked on the roadside and opened the hood to check for any overheating or further smell. But could not judge anything, apart from the coolant level being at the centre of the tank, which i believe was somewhere between min and max.

Let me know what else can I try to make this issue repeat more frequently and in turn help the technicians to root cause and debug.

Hello Onwheels,

Congrats on the new beast. I own AX5 P MT. Here is the link where I have penned down my review - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...on-xuv700.html (Mahindra XUV700 (aka Rudra) Initial Ownership Report | Journey from an Eon to the XUV700).

It is so unfortunate that M&M has still not fixed this issue. Kindly share your variant, mfg. month + year for a reference.

Best case, it could all be some minor SW mapping issue with EMS & ECU. I hope you are on the latest update.

The issue you are facing could be because of below:
1. Faulty/Poor Canister
2. Adultered Petrol
3. Engine Defect itself. This can be diagnosed in two ways:
a. Kindly check the engine oil level, and keep an eye on it.
b. Engine oil deposits in the Spark plug.
4. Fuel pump relay that will cost ~35-50rs.
5. Maybe a faulty spark plug.

Escalate this to your GM Services/CCM. If not working, do drop a tweet or email to customercare ID of Mahindra

I have had a similar incident and reported the same in my ownership review. For me, it was due to the relay (it happened soon after changing the canister).

Do keep me posted.

Last edited by rudra_shiv : 5th June 2024 at 11:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks