Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 16:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
but i remember reading somewhere on the board that sometimes trying to pull from low revs at high gear etc puts more strain than higher rpms in low gear . any thoughts on that moral ? or is the torque enough to overcome that ?
You read it right but the torque overcomes the stress on the engine as far as I can gather. I have never felt the strain.
Old 29th August 2007, 17:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Without stepping on the gas, are you sure that you are able to reach 3rd gear ?

Wonder if this is right for the engines health !

Ram P
You can touch 4th also if one is patient enough.
Old 29th August 2007, 17:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
So how do you guys manage in the stop and go traffic?? jus play with the clutch and hardly use the gas pedal? Just curious, as I invariably step on the gas with the clutch half-released - 'm I wasting fuel by doing this??

Cheers,
giga
For me, no clutch has always meant no clutch except when I am shifting gears. In heavy bumper to bumper traffic (which I face right from Panjagutta (Hyd) while going back home in the evening) I just make myself forget for a while that I have a gas pedal. I just shift on to 1st gear the moment the car in front starts to roll. Release the clutch slowly. My car starts rolling. Often the crawl stops immediately and its time to shift to neutral and wait. Once the crawl begins its the same routine again. If the crawl continues for a while the car keeps rolling along nicely. No clutch, no accelerator. If the crawl turns to roll I just shift over to 2nd. Nice, now I am happily rolling.

Who needs a clutch or a gas pedal in traffic.
Old 29th August 2007, 18:09   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Believe it or not, I could do this with my erstwhile, Indica 2000 petrol. All I had to do was to give her enough time to gather momentum in each gear. Did this many times on flat roads.
even I could do this in my Palio 1.2. But my Baleno needs some input from the Acceterator Pedal.
Old 29th August 2007, 18:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

thats not bad for engine cos right after the cold start or with AC on the cars operate above the designated Idle RPMs so the engine keeps moving

and as u move on the RPMs starts decreasing towards the designated slot and then u need to push the accelerator
Old 29th August 2007, 20:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

i couldnt start in my baleno without pressing the accelerator.
Old 29th August 2007, 20:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I had to get home once in a VW Golf (about 1988) with a broken accelerator cable. That meant nothing available higher than idling speed (even manual choke was already a thing of the past then).

I was only two streets away, about half a mile thankfully on the flat with the worst bit a right turn onto a busy main road. With featherlight clutch control I got the car back in first gear.

All sorts of things can be done when you have to!

Al
Old 29th August 2007, 21:54   #23
BHPian

I want to try

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What harm can you think of for the engines health?

It works on plain flat ground and I have tried this in first gear while going a slope. Did you read "I do this in cold starts"

My cars owners manual asks me not to waste fuel in idling. Roll the car as soon as you start it.

Was it for me bottle?

Btw, the did you know that using the torque in the Palio Diesel 1.9D you can shift all 5 gears at idle and the car doesn't knock but pulls at about 45-50 kmph at 800-850 rpm
Moral, what is the car you mentioned for up to 3rd gear without gas pedal, is it your Palio 1.6. I know Petra pulls decently even in 2nd gear, will try 3rd gear too.
Old 29th August 2007, 21:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

I do not use the gas pedal in bumper to bumper traffic. Not required at all. Just step on the gas a little when you shift to 2nd gear. Most torquey diesels operate like automatics in traffic.

And of course, no touching of the pedal while starting. After starting, I do a diagnostic check on the car controls.
Old 29th August 2007, 22:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
I'm curious to know whether this will damage the clutch/gear or both.

Yes. you'll end up with a giga bill for a new clutch replacement.
Old 29th August 2007, 23:10   #26
BHPian

I felt the difference in this over the move from the Carb Esteem to the Ikon. In the Esteem it was impossible to move without pressing the accel. In the Ikon no need to press accel. Jus release clutch and itll move. I wish it had autoclutch though. Btw I agree that its possible to go to fourth by not pressing the accelerator. Just patience required.

cya
A

Last edited by Absar : 29th August 2007 at 23:11.
Old 29th August 2007, 23:19   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

People are going to be fighting over how slowly they can do 0-60 soon!
Old 29th August 2007, 23:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
even I could do this in my Palio 1.2. But my Baleno needs some input from the Acceterator Pedal.
Same on the Ikon. Matiz moves without a foot on the A pedal. The answer is, to have a bigger engine idling (no load) at the same rpm, the A/F ratio is leaner, so needs a prod on the Accelerator to bring the ratio back up to where the engine can produce torque to get the mass moving.

However, there is no need for wasting fuel and time on a modern engine by idling it in the morning. The ECU does set a higher idling rpm till the engine warms up to get things lubricated.

For me, I think, clutch and accelerator works in conjunction, sometimes throttle works before the clutch is even released a milimeter.
Old 29th August 2007, 23:57   #29
rks
BANNED

My Santro manual clearly advises to gradually and smoothly release the clutch while simultaneously applying the throttle.

What I think is true about MPFI cars is that it is advisable to release the clutch fully in a given gear (say, first) before either depressing it again or shifting to the next gear. I.e., I do not think it is advisable to release the clutch 50% and then depress it again and change gears or brake. I find that a mild clutch shudder develops after driving in heavy traffic where I often do not get the chance to release the clutch fully in 1st gear; I release a little and then have to brake due the traffic in front. Later when I drive in clear roads with full release of clutch, the shudder disappears after a while.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People are going to be fighting over how slowly they can do 0-60 soon!
Ya right! Haha. Nice one Thad! It looks more likely, 0-40 or 0-50 depending on the 4th/5th gear vehicle speed at 1000 rpm.

cya
A

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks