Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 19:39   #1
BHPian

Cost to repaint a Car?

Hi All,
I went to the Maruti Authorised Service center to ask how much will it cost for me to change my car from Matallic Brown to Matallic Golden and they say 16k only for paint job, if there is body work required then it'll be extra.
Then I went to my Local Machanic and asked the same question and he says he'll do it for 10k.
The next question I asked was how much would it cost to change to normal Amby type white colour, and he says the same 10k as the number of coats required would be more.
Can some seniors please throw some light on this issue of painting a Car from Matallic to Matallic and Matallic to non Matallic (Amby type white)
Are the Marurti and the Local Machanic quoting the right prices. My local machanic also said that 2k paint cost Rs 4500 per liter, is this true?
I did try and search all treads on the said issue, but could not find one, if there is one, please let me know where.
Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 00:45   #2
BHPian

A local Mech may not be using High Quality Auto grade paint, Check that out- Best Brand I've heard is ICI 2K.

You may also purchase the paint on your own and have the Local Garage do it, It will save on the Comission made by the Garage owner on selling the paint to you.

IMHO Maruti's paint will be the best option, If they can guarantee the finish and quality.

It won't matter if you repaint the car, but ensure that the old paint is removed, New Coating- Primer and all the pre-paint works are done to even the surface, I guess then you will need at least 3 coats of paint and then last coat of Clear type.

Suggest you contact Edmund, He had repainted his Maruti 800 Old type into the Mystic Blue Metallic. He could advise well on the Repaint Techniques.

In this age its better to opt for a Paint booth setup with proper detailing on the Pre Paint scenario to remove any Uneven levels, Scratches, Blotches or Dents.

You will also need to Inform the RTO and Update your RC if you paint into a different colour than the Orignal registry.

And Inform the Insurance Company of the change with the New Colour after you get the updated RC.

And just incase you do consider the LPG option you are thinking, Get the car repainted before the Installation, You will also be able to save the RTO costs by paying for Both the Repaint and LPG Conversion in one go.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 31st August 2007 at 00:50.
wolfinstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 07:14   #3
BANNED

These prices sound very good. I thought it may cost 25K or so seeing that in Bangalore all guys charge 3-4K for a single panel repainting only.

If this is what it costs, could someone suggest a place in Bangalore to get my Lancer re painted [same colour]?
Old 31st August 2007, 08:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well,10K seems to be the fair price and thats true 2K paints is somewhere around 4.5 K/litre

and Wolf is right so buy the paint urself and get it painted from a Local paint shop who has this heat chamber.

and at least 3 coats are needed provided all pre paint jobs like applying filler/primer and making surface even should be done well.

just make sure u have the guarantee from the paint guy

and painting a metallic color to non metallic is fine as long as you use the methods properly and 3-4 coats are applied
Old 31st August 2007, 08:56   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Hi All,
I went to the Maruti Authorized Service center to ask how much will it cost for me to change my car from Metallic Brown to Metallic Golden and they say 16k only for paint job, if there is body work required then it'll be extra.
Then I went to my Local Mechanic and asked the same question and he says he'll do it for 10k.
The next question I asked was how much would it cost to change to normal Amby type white color, and he says the same 10k as the number of coats required would be more.
Can some seniors please throw some light on this issue of painting a Car from Metallic to Metallic and Metallic to non Metallic (Amby type white)
Are the Maruti and the Local Mechanic quoting the right prices. My local mechanic also said that 2k paint cost Rs 4500 per liter, is this true?
I did try and search all treads on the said issue, but could not find one, if there is one, please let me know where.
Thanks
musicman-aman, I had some tinwork and paintwork (Maruti Moonbeam Silver color) done by Millennium Maruti in Pune on my Maruti 800. That was back in Jan-Feb 2006. Their work was excellent. The new paint and old paint blended in so well, it was nearly impossible to tell the difference. I would recommend getting the Maruti dealer to do the work, assuming they have a proper dust-controlled paintshop and baking area.
Old 31st August 2007, 09:11   #6
BHPian

I was quoted 30K for a Wagon R at the MASS including removing the initial paint, removing and fitting back engine & other components and finally repainting (black colour). I did not opt and finally sold the car as the cost involved was high.
Old 31st August 2007, 09:28   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Well,10K seems to be the fair price and thats true 2K paints is somewhere around 4.5 K/litre
Hi,

Guys it takes more than 4/5 litres to paint a car the size of a lancer. You are being quoted for a overcoat job which also will not be done the correct way. There are plenty of other products that go into painting a car besides the paint itself.

There is no ways on earth you can get a 2k colour change paint job irrespective of the brand in 16k leave aside 10k. Just FYI a litre of 2k paint for metallic/mica & basic pearl is approx Rs2600 from Standox which is far superior than ICICI.

To get the right gloss and finish on 2k the primer and all other coats need to be of 2k as well.

Viper
viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 09:57   #8
BANNED

dude i got my maruthi zen repainted(white) 1 year ago from a local mechanic ..it costed me 10 k for the paint and 2k for the dents all round the body...work was done very well... the car looks new now also ...it didnt get faded ......

check out my garage
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indiancarpicture-517.html
Old 31st August 2007, 10:02   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
dude i got my maruthi zen repainted(white) 1 year ago from a local mechanic ..it costed me 10 k for the paint and 2k for the dents all round the body...work was done very well... the car looks new now also ...it didnt get faded ......
Hi,

Read my statement carefully "There is no ways on earth you can get a 2k colour change paint job irrespective of the brand in 16k leave aside 10k." When you speak of a professional 2k job it means all the material going into the process has to be 2k and not something else. 2k paints are only supposed to be sprayed in a paint booth.

If you believe that the local painter has used genuine 2k products for 10k then all I can say is good for you.

Viper
Old 31st August 2007, 10:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Read my statement carefully "There is no ways on earth you can get a 2k colour change paint job irrespective of the brand in 16k leave aside 10k." When you speak of a professional 2k job it means all the material going into the process has to be 2k and not something else. 2k paints are only supposed to be sprayed in a paint booth.

If you believe that the local painter has used genuine 2k products for 10k then all I can say is good for you.

Viper
Of course,everyone is talking abt the Paintjob in a Paint booth and paints booths are everywhere even in smaller cities and they charge around 50-60% of what *** people are charging

they also use the same Nerolac Goodlass paint which Maruti is using.

and they do proper paint and bake it etc etc and its costs around 10K for a small car

maybe u talking abt some very very high end or maybe custom paint job or maybe Mumbai is costly.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:20   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Of course,everyone is talking abt the Paintjob in a Paint booth and paints booths are everywhere even in smaller cities and they charge around 50-60% of what *** people are charging

they also use the same Nerolac Goodlass paint which Maruti is using.

and they do proper paint and bake it etc etc and its costs around 10K for a small car

maybe u talking abt some very very high end or maybe custom paint job or maybe Mumbai is costly.
Guys,

Am not arguing with anyone if you guys think that you are being provided 2k paint at that price and i was referring to a mid size car. Mumbai is costly in terms of labour but material cost is almost the same all over. Leave you guys to calculate the cost for raw materials and then come to your own conclusions.

Viper
Old 31st August 2007, 10:22   #12
BHPian

This is straight from the horse's mouth.
The best is DuPont paint/Standox paint, it costs abt. Rs 2000/- for metallic silver/gold, metallic red costs about 2400/- per liter. You will need exactly 2.5 liters for a Lancer.
There are other costs, like primers, undercoats, etc.

Last edited by filcord : 31st August 2007 at 10:23. Reason: precision
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 10:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks filcord

@Musicmanaman
so if we need 2.5 ltrs for Lancer then for a small car like zen/wagor R we will probably need 1.5-2 Ltr max.
2 K for other stuff like primer,undercoats etc

add 3K as labour and it still makes 9K and thats how 10K is a fair price for this paint job

and best thing is ensuring the material used is gud so buy things urself and u will be all set
simply_sunny001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 11:59   #14
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback, I like the paint job done on Zenopio's Zen (White colour) and it was preety cost effective as well I guess, I have given my car for some touch up work as it was rusting at few places yesterday (very minor but I just had to get it done as it was sickying my mind), let's see how much the bill comes to, with touch up paint job, engine oil change, and back lights change, saw the car today morning and the my local mach is going I good job, they were applying the primary coat I believe (Blue colour) at the rusted places and tomorrow I believe they will touch up with paint. They have also placed a new sheet of metal above the back wheel, for water protection from the rains.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Just FYI a litre of 2k paint for metallic/mica & basic pearl is approx Rs2600 from Standox which is far superior than ICICI.

Viper
You just broke the bank dude

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks