Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 12:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
This is straight from the horse's mouth.
You will need exactly 2.5 liters for a Lancer.
Not like I'm an authority on car paint, but it seems a little far fetched that a car the size of a Lancer will be painted in 2.5 litres of paint; that's like 2 and a half bottles of Mineral water!
Old 31st August 2007, 12:32   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
You just broke the bank dude
Ooooooops silly me made a typo. Now the bank goons will be after me.

Viper
Old 31st August 2007, 12:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Ooooooops silly me made a typo. Now the bank goons will be after me.

Viper
And, your name will be added to the defaulters' list, no other MNC bank will give you any loan, they will threaten your family and spoil your reputation in your office
Old 31st August 2007, 12:54   #19
BHPian

Painting mirrors..

I had question and thought I could ask it here. I have been wanting to paint the plastic covers/frames of my ORVMs of my Wagon R to match the color of the car. (Wine Red).

I want it to look something like in the picture.

How best to go about it? Where can I get this color?
Old 31st August 2007, 15:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Not like I'm an authority on car paint, but it seems a little far fetched that a car the size of a Lancer will be painted in 2.5 litres of paint; that's like 2 and a half bottles of Mineral water!
Well I should be an authority. Been involved in the paints business over 15 years.
See these are hi-pigment tints, their coverage is many times more than your conventional Duco paint. Actually you can paint a Lancer in about 2 litres of Dupont/Standox, the half litre is just by way of abundant caution.
Another thing, the paint is thinned (hence volume increases) before spraying.
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 17:42   #21
BANNED

One of the most important things to be taken care of is that the paint booth should be free from dust.

Most of the local booths are full of dust/dirt although you can save substantially.
Old 31st August 2007, 20:58   #22
BHPian

when i enquired about the cost of painting my santro, they quoted 23,000 /- ...i came off immediately
Old 1st September 2007, 00:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Well I should be an authority. Been involved in the paints business over 15 years.
See these are hi-pigment tints, their coverage is many times more than your conventional Duco paint. Actually you can paint a Lancer in about 2 litres of Dupont/Standox, the half litre is just by way of abundant caution.
Another thing, the paint is thinned (hence volume increases) before spraying.
Filcord what kind of paint business?
Old 1st September 2007, 00:37   #24
BHPian

Anyone heard about a paint booth in Kolhapur? Heard a lot of good things about it.
Old 1st September 2007, 01:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

I had got a 2k paint job done on my car using top-quality material & expertise. Here is what the car looked like when it was painted:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...fter-pics.html (OHC VTEC Repainted, Before & After pics)

And here is how it looks after a year-and-a-half:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-my-car-6.html

I paid 44k for the paintjob, including a colour change & all denting work. Seeing the quality of the work, I think it was worth every penny.
Old 1st September 2007, 08:37   #26
BHPian

Yep, a good paint job will cost. First of all, all materials must be top-quality, right from the primers, fillers and uncercoat. Each coat has to be sanded carefully. All non-painted areas must be fully masked with papers and masking tape. final spray coats are critical, and should only be applied by the master painter - never allow the understudy to do this.
It should be done only in a booth.
Add all the costs, it will definitely be in the 20ks at least.
Then add cost of rubbers, trim, denting, etc.
Old 1st September 2007, 09:16   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Yep, a good paint job will cost. Add all the costs, it will definitely be in the 20ks at least. Then add cost of rubbers, trim, denting, etc.
Hi,

To add if you need to do a colour change the material involved will generally be much more as it would be wise to scrape the original paint down to the bare metal. Also a must for colour change would be stripping the car down which should involve all glasses, windscreen etc as well.

Labour costs or painting costs will vary from painter to painter depending on the materials, equipment used and how good they are.

For eg - DC, RIO, Mazda charge between 75k-1.5lacs to repaint a mid sized car(colour change) in pearl colour(not 3 stage) whereas a service centre may do the same in approx 30-35k and a roadside garage in approx 20k. There is no fixed cost for painting charges, you go to who you feel comfortable with and what your budget permits.

People know what they are paying for when they get it done at reputed places.

Viiper
Old 6th September 2007, 18:36   #28
BHPian

hi Viper,

I completely agree with you paintjobs are reaaly imprtant part for a Car and cost involved depends upon what material ur using and where u get it done ,,, i would say that even spending a couple of extra grants for the paintjob is justified coz as they say 1st impression is the last impression... and doent matter what you have under the hood if the ride doesn't look good it's never woth it ....
Old 6th September 2007, 22:09   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Read my statement carefully "There is no ways on earth you can get a 2k colour change paint job irrespective of the brand in 16k leave aside 10k." When you speak of a professional 2k job it means all the material going into the process has to be 2k and not something else. 2k paints are only supposed to be sprayed in a paint booth.

If you believe that the local painter has used genuine 2k products for 10k then all I can say is good for you.

Viper

hello mr viper i think you misunderstood me completely , i meant 2000/- rs for reamoving the dents on my car,,,,,,
Old 7th September 2007, 09:14   #30
BHPian

I wanted to get my Santro re-painted in original colour (Amazon Green) but the Authorized Center is charging around 25K for the job. Not sure if this is right price.

Could anyone please suggest me good workshop for re-paint job in NOIDA/Delhi?

Thanks in advance ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks