Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 13:53   #1
BHPian

wall paint splattered all over my car!

My Fiesta (black color) has been splattered by white (exterior wall) paint by careless painters who didn't pay any attention. When I noticed this the next day morning, my heart stopped beating to see that the entire driver's side and parts of the trunk-lid have been splattered by hundreds of paint dots.

This happened a few days ago and I'm still contemplating the best way to get these off! I understand lightly applied petrol may help but I'm scared as hell to do so.

Can anyone recommend a suitable way to get these off, or a good car detailer in Hyderabad (where I am these days)?

Mods: I hope this thread is filed under the correct header, if not please feel free to move / edit as appropriate.
Old 31st August 2007, 15:47   #2
BHPian

i dont know for sure, but i guess acetone could help. BUT PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT CONFIRMATION because, acetone being a very powerful decolouriser can also remove your original paint.
Old 31st August 2007, 15:59   #3
BHPian

Usually exterior wall paint is a water soluble cement paint. If that is the case, the paint drops should be removable by wiping with a wet cloth or a soap solution.

Try cleaning with a completely dry cloth first, since the drops are a couple of days old, they may come off as water-based paint does not bond to smooth surfaces.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:02   #4
BHPian

try whiping it with wet cloth.....if it does not work there is a addtive to remove the strain in Sonax. Check methods website....will get help there
Old 31st August 2007, 16:06   #5
BHPian

Exterior paints are generally water based paints. Pour water on the effected area and try cleaning with a good car shampoo. Ideally it should go. I had cement splattered allover my car and I removed to a certain extend this way and then gave the car to a professional polishing guy who did a good job.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Colin. Spray it on while constantly rubbing using a soft cloth. Finally remove any remnants using a toothpick carefully.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:29   #7
BHPian

If it's water-based paint, wash with plenty of water, rub gently with cloth while pouring water from a hose.
If it's oil paint, take it to a professional.
I feel real bad for you. I had a similar experience sometime ago, and it frightened the daylights out of me. Thankfully , got it off, since I noticed it in ten minutes.
Old 31st August 2007, 21:42   #8
BHPian

Thanks all for your feedback. The first thing I did was to get a bucket of clean water and a soft cloth to wipe out the paint.

The smaller dots definitely did go out, and I am now left with the larger blobs which seem stubborn and may scratch the surface of the paint. I am contemplating cleaning gently with petrol ... but wonder if it will damage the paint.

vidurm ... acetone and alcohol i understand will rub into the paint .. have you any recommendations with any brand / solvent ???
Old 31st August 2007, 22:38   #9
BHPian

Choose a dot which may be at the bottom of the door..i means on a remote location Test on it first & then follow the same for the rest of the dots.
Old 31st August 2007, 22:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

wet the location and wait for atleast 10 mts, and as said above choose an area which is away. Try using your finger tip to remove the spec, if it works then proceed, if it works proceed. Or consult a reputed professional. Attend to it at the earliest and the job will be easier.
Old 1st September 2007, 13:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post

vidurm ... acetone and alcohol i understand will rub into the paint .. have you any recommendations with any brand / solvent ???

if they rub into the paint then why would you wanna use them? Acetone is available as such only from any chemist shop...
Old 17th February 2011, 21:40   #12
BHPian

Re: wall paint splattered all over my car!

sorry to bump an old thread. Just wanted to know how did u manage to get the wall paint out ? Yesterday stupid painters spoilt my car door while painting the wall
Old 18th February 2011, 11:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

^^Go to 3M guys and get waxing done, ask them to use clay. Same thing happened to my car when it was parked in the service center for couple of days. It was all over the car, after waxing from 3M almost 80% of it was gone. rest of it took 2-3 normal waxing with sonax at home. Don't try to get it removed in one try or you will damage the paint.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:23   #14
BHPian

Depending upon the level of paint overspray, medium to harder grade of detailing clay is recommended.

Note that more aggressive clay may leave slight marring on the paint surface, which needs a light polishing to restore back the paint to its old condition !

Do ensure you go to a good place & that they use decent clay.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:24   #15
AWD
BHPian

Its difficult to remove, once happened on my car too. Tried washing, shampooing, diesel, 3M products, etc. but spots remained.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks