Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 19:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pulstar plugs! Are the spark plugs obsolete? Is it a scam?

Hey guys, i stumbled upon this on the net. Pulstar plugs are supposed to be the next generation in spark plugs technology.

Quote:
Pulse plugs incorporate a pulse circuit, which stores incoming electrical energy from the ignition system and releases the stored energy in a powerful pulse of power. Instead of 50 watts of peak power typical of all spark plugs, pulse plugs deliver up to 1 million watts of peak power.
Quote:
When the ignition signal is sent to a traditional spark plug, it begins to ionize the spark gap. This means that the voltage builds in the gap until a spark can be formed. During this ionization phase, which lasts about 5 millionths of a second, the incoming voltage (which has nowhere to go) heats up ignition components including the spark plug. This is wasted energy. When the ignition voltage overcomes the resistance in the spark gap, the spark is created with an initial discharge of approximately 50 watts. Once created, the spark resides between the electrodes at very low power for over a period of 30 millionths of a second.

What is different about a pulse plug is that instead of heating ignition parts during the ionization phase, this energy is stored in the integral circuit inside the pulse plug. When the ignition power overcomes the resistance in the spark gap, the pulse circuit discharges all of its accumulated power - 1 million watts - in 2 billionths of a second!
https://www.pulstarplug.com

Quote:
Enerpulse is headquartered in Albuquerque, New Mexico. We're a 10-year old company that specializes in developing environmentally friendly ignition products through the application of pulse power technology. With the assistance of Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, we developed Pulstar™ to increase the peak power of the spark by 20,000 times and ignite gasoline in the engine's cylinder more completely, with less cycle-to-cycle variation. The result is more engine torque, more horsepower and better fuel economy
Guys what's your thoughts on this?
Old 17th September 2007, 20:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

At face-value, there's room for arguments for both pro and against. I'd actually like to see this in action once, esp since they've involved Sandia.
Old 17th September 2007, 21:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

OK, technically it's been achieved.
The question that begs asking is: Does a spark ignition engine stand to gain from this? After all, there is a largish difference between 50 and one million! Or is this invention for some other application?
Old 17th September 2007, 21:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

A user opinion from the website Spark Plugs vs Pulse Plugs ~ Chris Pirillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Alright, I actually tried these plugs. I have a smoother idle, and on the dyno I have 7 hp increase. My old plugs were the Bosch +4 in an H22A. 7 hp is only about 3-4% though on my engine. Fuel economy I saw nothing. Its hard to tell if the plugs actually did this though. New NGK R plugs might have done this as well. Or air temp could have done that change too. But 100$ for 4 plugs isnt worth it.

Here's another advanced tech sparkplug. You cannot buy it yet because it has not been put into production. Read about Firestorm plasma spark plug. NEXUS: Firestorm Sparkplug

Quote:
The revolutionary design of FireStorm spark plugs creates an electric plasma that fills the entire combustion chamber like a firestorm. It allows you to take an internal combustion engine from the standard 14.7:1 air-to-fuel ratio to an incredibly lean 24:1. At this ratio, all the air/fuel mixture is burned much more efficiently without increasing heat, thus giving an engine more power and fuel economy while creating much less pollution. That's the good news
The bad news is that you can't buy a set of FireStorm spark plugs anywhere right now. No spark plug company wants to make them.
Robert Krupa is no stranger to the way the automotive industry and spark plug industry operate. He has worked as a technician, then as an engineer for GM and Ford.

Last edited by Sankar : 17th September 2007 at 21:16.
Old 1st December 2008, 00:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hey guys, i stumbled upon this on the net. Pulstar plugs are supposed to be the next generation in spark plugs technology.

https://www.pulstarplug.com

Guys what's your thoughts on this?
1MW from a sparkplug...? I'm somewhat confused, but is 1MW a measurable fraction of the power generated at an Electricity Generation Plant???
Old 5th December 2008, 22:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

My guess :

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun.r View Post
1MW from a sparkplug...? I'm somewhat confused, but is 1MW a measurable fraction of the power generated at an Electricity Generation Plant???
Arjun.r,

1 Megawatt might be a huge amount of energy when produced continuously for a long duration of time.
That can be rephrased as : 1 Megawatt-hour is a huge amount of energy.

(Just like a needle might be able to exert 1,000,000 psi when pushed against a surface with just 10 pounds of weight. The variable being area, and in the spark plug example - time.)

Using the information provided on this thread and the website we can see that this 1,000,000 Watts is only being used for two-billionths of a second each power stroke.

Take a 4-cyl engine running at 6,000 rpm.

That is 12,000 power strokes (sparks) every minute = 720,000 sparks every hour.

Multiply the number of sparks per minute by the 2-billionth of a second

720,000 x 0.000000002 = 0.00144 seconds

Further divide that by 3600 to change the unit to hours:

0.00144 / 3600 = 0.0000004 hours is the total duration that the plug is actually producing spark for every hour the engine runs at 6,000rpm.

Now multiply the 1 megawatt with the total spark duration in an hour :
1,000,000 x 0.0000004 = 0.4 Watts per hour

Thats 0.4 watt-hours. Which is 1/100th of the energy a 40watt light bulb uses in an hour.

cya
R

Let me know if i have messed up a calculation anywhere!
Old 15th December 2008, 11:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Given that this is supposed to be such a revolution and tickles every indians fantasy (fuel economy) -- howcome noone has tried it?

Maybe some members abroad have ? What about the flip side of the coin - what are the disadvantages?

The pulstar plugs are available through their website online store.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th December 2008 at 11:16.
Old 3rd October 2009, 03:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sorry For the Bump.Is Pulstar Plugs Available in India now?
Old 4th October 2009, 01:58   #9
BHPian

Very Strange, Innovative plug manufacturers, can't hire a proper guy to install their SSL Properly.

Both IE and firefox warns their visitors.
There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks