Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 13:20   #46
BHPian

During heavy rains, the wipers seem to judder...that is the movement is not smooth on the windshield, tis like something preventing the smooth movement of the wiper blades. I tried using the washer fluid intermittently, but nothing helped :( any solution for this other than changing the blades?
Old 30th January 2008, 12:35   #47
BHPian

Changing the blades in the best option. A temporary fix is to fill the wiper washer tank with a mild shampoo (very little) in water.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:12   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Cleaning the glass with a really good glass cleaner might help. I used to use AutoGlym in London --- expensive, but a bottle lasted for ever.
Old 1st February 2008, 09:45   #49
BHPian

I've read some where that putting the wiper rubber in freezer also helps.
Old 1st February 2008, 17:46   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

really? I think that would make it brittle and could ruin it.

Mind you, 'rubber' is probably not actually rubber, but some synthetic these days.
Old 1st February 2008, 18:20   #51
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
During heavy rains, the wipers seem to judder...that is the movement is not smooth on the windshield, tis like something preventing the smooth movement of the wiper blades. I tried using the washer fluid intermittently, but nothing helped :( any solution for this other than changing the blades?
Change the wipers immediately Try getting Bosch wipers. Been using them for 3 years now. They are really good.
Old 1st February 2008, 23:21   #52
BHPian

Temporary fix -- remove the rubber inserts and reinsert in the opposite direction (on many (most?) Bosch blades I've encountered the rubber insert can actually be removed)> For a while Bosch used to sell replacement inserts as well -- not sure if they do in India.
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunk View Post
today morning while i was reaching the connector to the 4 laned NH 47 I saw the red light stopping the traffic along the main road and just as i was to enter the highway those folks got the green. I felt like entering the main race after a pit stop..all was well but suddenly i felt my visibility wasn't that good as i was tailing a large truck infront...mind you it was drizzling...I turned on the wiper but it only got more foggy...Guys, could you enlighten us on how to maintain your Wipers in good condition, i think it is something we realize only when you are in a situation like the one i was ...
Arunk,

This is not a "wiper maintenance" issue at all and so maybe your thread title was somewhat misleading. I think it is a condensation issue. This often happens when you are driving with windows closed, AC on, and it is drizzling outside.

1) Scenario #1: The car's inside might be colder (due to the AC) than the outside and condensation is developing outside the windscreen (akin to what happens outside a glass containing cold water - condensation on the outside). The wiper actually aggravates the situation, especially if it is not making an absolutely clean swipe and leaving a very very very thin layer of film outside the windscreen - which in turn is condensing and making visibility poor.

Solution - Heat up the windscreen; turn the temp a little to the warmer side, and change settings to open vents that will direct the warm air to the windscreen. You can leave the AC on.

2) Scenario #2: Car's inside is warmer than the outside. Can happen in winters, where windows are rolled up, recirculation is on, and the temperature setting is more to warm. In this case condensation develops on the inside of the windscreen.

Solution - Try to bring the temp of the car's interior more at par with outside temps, esp, the windscreen. Turn on AC (dehumidifies interior - a lot of the condensation in the inside is due to breathing), decrease temp a bit towards cooler, put off recirculation mode.

Your problem seems to be #1 ; I have faced it many times and it happens a lot on humid days when there is precipitation/drizzling.

As for the Wipers, Bosch is a good brand, but really your problem is one of condensation than anything else.

Last edited by johy : 2nd February 2008 at 06:57.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2008, 12:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchatt View Post
"I can courier you- free of cost; a set of new Bosch blades that passed QC checks and were manufactured in a Bosch factory at the same time."

Thanks theMAG for the offer. I will take it up during the next change. But I'd love to meet you when I am in Bengalooroo. I go there quite frequently.

Kchatt,

Where in Hyd , I can get Bosh original wiper for my Ikon...
Old 5th February 2008, 07:29   #55
BANNED

Make Wipers Good as New | Extraordinary Uses | Reader's Digest
Old 5th February 2008, 09:28   #56
BHPian

I personally believe that to maintain the softness of the wiper, you should use the washer and the wiper once everyday, especially if you are staying in places like gurgaon where it is very dusty.

I would like to ask the gurus one thing here, do you think that using the liquid soap used for washing utensils is a good idea to be used as a washer fluid with water?
Old 5th February 2008, 11:47   #57
BANNED

Get a new pair of wiper blades, replace that new one only on monsoon seasons or when you go to place where it rains.. after monsoon is over, change the wiper blades to used one. This may save your money , not replacing set of wipers often. Because wiper rubber tend to break in summers.
Old 30th April 2008, 16:56   #58
BHPian

Car care secrets for your cars windshield and wipers

Hi everybody,
I was surfing through the net and found some car care secrets and thought of posting it on team bhp

Repel rain from your windshield
Rain rain go away.Dump some baking soda on a damp rag and wipe your windshield.It will keep rain from collecting on it.
Fight windshield grime with homemade fluid
Keep your windshield clean with a simple homemade washer fluid.Just add two tablespoons of liquid detergent,three cups of rubbing alcohol and enough water.
Get your wipers cleaned
When your windshield wiper blade gets grungy,clean them with rubbing alcohol and you'll get super clean wipers
Patch holes with nailpolish
Pebbles and other flying debris can make things rough on your car.To fill some holes in your windshield,simply apply some clear nailpolish.It also works for holes in your cars paint job.
Steer clear of streaks
If your wipers causes streaks,wash them with a solution of baking soda and water and you will see the difference

Moderator's note: Merged with existing topic. Please use the search function before starting new threads. Thanks.

Last edited by theMAG : 30th April 2008 at 23:31.
Old 30th April 2008, 23:20   #59
BANNED

Thanx for the info !

But, have you tried all these yourselves ?
Old 1st May 2008, 12:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by team suzuki View Post
two tablespoons of liquid detergent,three cups of rubbing alcohol and enough water.
Now what is rubbing alcohal ? ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks