Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2008, 13:01   #61
BHPian

Change them in the month of May every year, and you should be all set. Wipers ought to be treated like Gilette disposables.
Old 1st May 2008, 14:28   #62
BHPian

=> Keep changing the Wipers before every monsoon , worth the money rather than cribbing during downpour on low visibility
=>Ensure you use some cleaning liquid in the wash wiper tank . I use the pouch costing Rs 15 or 20 one time use the one fro MarutiMGA .

I have also bought a Glass cleaner from Maruti MGA , it does clean the glass sparkling clean . I use it every fortnight

I too wanted to buy Bosch last monsoon for my Wagon R but couldnt get one so took syndicate . This monsoon will reallly try hard to get a original Bosch in Mumbai / Navi Mumbai for my scorpio .

Also have hear of some liquid on windshield which just does not allow water to remain . But have no idea may be some one can help .

Regards.. Kat
Old 8th June 2008, 21:26   #63
BHPian

Hi guys has anyone tried the new Bosch aerotwin wipers? Are they any good? Wanted to change my wipers and was planning to get these.
Old 4th June 2009, 22:25   #64
BHPian

Bosch Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Recenlty changed to Bosch wipers, excellent functionality. Before were stock syndicate, but became nonfunctional after just few rainy occasions.
Hi Ravi,

This is an old post.. but where did you pick up the Bosch wipers from in Hyd?

Cheers
Old 5th June 2009, 00:35   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
=>

Also have hear of some liquid on windshield which just does not allow water to remain . But have no idea may be some one can help .

Regards.. Kat
Had used a bottle of that couple years ago or so. IIRC it was called Rainex. You may be getting better stuff now. Just ask at good auto accessories shops.
Old 5th June 2009, 05:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Now what is rubbing alcohal ? ?
use rubbing alcohol ,alcohol swab along the edge of the wiper blade and one can prolong the life of wipers
Old 5th June 2009, 14:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I read that cleaning the wiper blades with WD40 also gives good results. Yet to try it out.
Old 5th June 2009, 15:05   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Now what is rubbing alcohal ? ?
It's an alcohol which you cannot drink because it's poisonous. Alchohol is commonly Ethyl Aclohol (Non - Poisionous) it's mixed with Methyl Alcohol to deter people from consuming it...

It get's it's name rubbing - because nurses rub a swab of this alcohol on your bumpies or biceps before they give you an injection
Old 6th June 2009, 01:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents...

Wipers stop performing due to one of 2 reasons (mostly)

1) They wear out (Abrasion Loss)
2) The Rubber becomes hard with use, time.

To avoid/slow down wearing out of the wipers, keep the wipers and screen as clean as possible and never run them dry.

In my opinion, alcohol, vinegar might work just because they clean the dirt. They will not help the rubber regain its properties in any way, just degrade it further.

Rubber (Natural/Synthetic) both tend to oxidise and loose their "rubbery" properties. This is inevitable. Good quality compounds oxidise/age slower.

How do I make my wipers last a little longer? When streaking begins,I just gently rub the edge of the blade of the wiper with a 1200 grit sandpaper a couple of times, smoothening out minor imperfections and exposing a fresh layer of rubber.

Disclamer: Try the above at your own risk.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 6th June 2009 at 01:29.
Old 6th June 2009, 01:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
really? I think that would make it brittle and could ruin it.

Mind you, 'rubber' is probably not actually rubber, but some synthetic these days.
I'd agree, cooling/freezing the wipers wont be beneficial.

BTW, most synthetic rubber types display superior low temperature resistance as compared to natural rubber...
Old 6th June 2009, 10:52   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Replace the Blades

You can also replace just the rubber blades by purchasing a wiper 'refill' pack. Toyota & Honda offer them. I replaced the rubber blades of my Corolla for Rs 600 whereas the wiper assembly pair would have cost me over Rs 2,500.

The cost v/s safety benefit of having new wipers is enormous. Wiper or wiper blades do not cost much for most cars and replacements are a part of regular maintenance. Recommended replacement interval is 1-2 years depending on length of exposure to the elements and usage.

No compromise on safety.

Rgds,
Old 6th June 2009, 12:35   #72
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ I read that cleaning the wiper blades with WD40 also gives good results. Yet to try it out.
Cleaning the blades with soapy water (car shampoo) and drying them with a soft cloth is the best way to maintain the blades. I'm not too sure about using WD 40 on the blades, as it might lead to streaking of the glass.
Old 6th June 2009, 15:37   #73
BHPian

change them with Bosch. You get an exact replacement for most cars, they work really super well, and they are about half the price of the original OEM prices. (I get nothing from Bosch by the way)
Here is the replacement chart
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 395_wiper Blade leaflet_final.pdf (218.4 KB, 663 views)

Last edited by filcord : 6th June 2009 at 15:39.
Old 6th June 2009, 15:41   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
change them with Bosch. You get an exact replacement for most cars, they work really super well, and they are about half the price of the original OEM prices. (I get nothing from Bosch by the way)
Arfe you aware if Bosch makes the wipers blades for Chevy spark cos mine is due for change and the Original ones from showroom are costing me Rs 550.

Is it worth it?
Old 6th June 2009, 20:07   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Bosch are undoubtedly the best after market wipers available in India. Had used them on my OHC.

But strange as it may seem, I found the OEM wipers perform the best on the Corolla/Corolla Altis. Have found no reason to change from OEM.

Rgds,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks