Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2008, 14:28   #16
BHPian

hi friends,
I had mentioned about the wheel bearing problems i had before! i did change the wheel bearing of the rear RHS wheel and the problem was solved! I am posting my present day query in this thread itself! My present day problem is regarding the silencer unit of my ford ikon!

my car is ford ikon 1.3(roacm engine) 2003 model clocked 35k till date!! I live in mangalore (karnataka). the climatic condition in this part of the country is such that 'Rusting' is predominant here! i had a few problems with the muffler unit of my silencer! it got rusted and that created a hole in my silencer unit (muffler). so i had got it welded a couple of times before! but now, the problem has worsened! i have been adviced by the people at ford that the muffler cannot take anymore welding on it and i have to change the entire silencer unit!

now my problem is, they told me the silencer unit costs about 17k !!! Now tats a pretty deep hole for my pocket! my question to all you guys is:
1)should i change the whole silencer unit?? the problem exists with the muffler part only! the local mechanics have told me that its enough to change only the muffler part! but i feel i must get the work done at ford service centre itself! suggest me what do i do! i cant spend 17k right now!! is there any other cheaper way out??? is there any problem if i get the work done at any local garage instead of doing it in ford service centre???

can i approach this problem in the following manner???
2)is it possible to get the silencer unit (sparingly used) of any other ford ikon which has been damaged in an accident and tagged-"total loss"??? i have searched for such vehicles in mangalore! but the people at ford are not helping me as they know that, if i get the used muffler unit, i wont buy the 17k product from them!! but a mechanic at ford has told me that, in a place like bangalore which has so many cars, i might be able to find a muffler unit for my IKON! so anyone at bangalore can help me regarding this???

pls help me!! thanks a lot in advance!!
Old 3rd February 2008, 16:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Your car is a 2003 model, so you wouldnt have to worry about warranty. Hence, it is not necessary for you to stick with the dealer for this problem. But dont rule out some fussy behaviour later on, when some one may blame the outside job as the cause of any (even un-related) problem.

You should be able to source it from BLR.

Any Ikons here with a FFE ?
Old 3rd February 2008, 21:20   #18
BHPian

Shouldn't be a problem in replacing only the muffler part from Ford,atleast here in Madras. And hey,how about getting a new end-can?

Btw,yes there are Ikons here with FFE,but can't remember out the owners of them.

cya
A
Old 3rd February 2008, 23:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

retain the cat cone and replace the bit from there till the tail
Old 4th February 2008, 06:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggu
retain the cat cone and replace the bit from there till the tail
Why?
Taking off the cat con will give oodles of extra power.
Old 4th February 2008, 17:38   #21
BHPian

well friends,
am not looking for any performance upgrade like extra power or something like that!! my dad uses the ikon most of the time as i have been given a jeep for myself!! but ya, with the fuel prices rising, i would like to have the best possible mileage!!

(i was told the silencer unit of a car affects the mileage - is this true??? if yes, how does it actually affect?? pls tel me)

so a simple solution to my problem would be better!! please help me get a descent muffler unit for my ikon!!

thanks in advance!!
Old 4th February 2008, 23:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Why?
Taking off the cat con will give oodles of extra power.
just suggesting that he can retain his headers till catcon (included) if he aint upto complete free flow.
Old 5th February 2008, 00:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

I have an ikon 1.6, Faced similar issues like yours. Tires getting old, Changing Muffler. Others that you are might come across is Ignition coil cable 5500/-, and suspension 5000/- only shocks. Not trying to scare you or anything but just in future keep 10k aside for that.

I changed my Silencer unit for 4000/- from a mech and not from ford. It still runs good. Only got an s.s end can, so it looks better.see my garage. Got the S.unit with cat con and centre muffler and stock end can.
Get your Silencer unit done from a mech outside and not from FORD.

Tires, its recommended to change after 4 yrs or less. Ive a 00' ikon and its time to change my set for the third time now. USed 322's earlier. Will be going in for p6000's or Es100's if i do get them in 185/65,r14.

As for RIMS, hate the 100pcd. Dont get good choices with that PCD. So i too have been looking for used alloys, the 5 spoke ones. Did find a set but did not like them too much.Costed 6000/-. I asked the company also for 5spoke alloys but they had none in stock.
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:24   #24
BHPian

Re: Query regarding ford ikon!!

Hello BHPians,

I own a 2006 model Ford Flair 1.3. I am facing a similar Silencer issue, there is a huge hole in the silencer due to rusting and generates a loud noise while running.
Can anyone please suggest me which is better option to change the same, Ford ASC or a local garage?
If it is local garage, suggest a good mechanic/garage from Bangalore .

Thanks in advance,
MAdhusudan
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayankara View Post
Hello BHPians,

I own a 2006 model Ford Flair 1.3. I am facing a similar Silencer issue, there is a huge hole in the silencer due to rusting and generates a loud noise while running.
Can anyone please suggest me which is better option to change the same, Ford ASC or a local garage?
If it is local garage, suggest a good mechanic/garage from Bangalore .

Thanks in advance,
MAdhusudan
I faced the same situation. Initially I went for a aftermarket part which the garage said the best available quality Taiwanese stuff. Paid Rs 8K and repented. It created a lot of back-pressure, engine had trouble in free breathing, fuel economy dropped. Spent another Rs 14K at Lathangi Ford to replace it. Immediately felt improvement.

I suggest you replace it with OE part.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
I faced the same situation. Initially I went for a aftermarket part which the garage said the best available quality Taiwanese stuff. Paid Rs 8K and repented. It created a lot of back-pressure, engine had trouble in free breathing, fuel economy dropped. Spent another Rs 14K at Lathangi Ford to replace it. Immediately felt improvement.

I suggest you replace it with OE part.

Thanks for the information. I will get it replaced from Metro Ford, St Marks Road, Bangalore
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

A local mechanic might be able to fetch a replacement part from many scrapped ikons.

PS: Add the word 'trusted' somewhere above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks