Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2007, 11:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scratched my front bumper-need advice

Hi guys,
I got a few scratches on the left edge of my front bumper today, when I was avoiding a car in the opposite direction in my driveway--slightly grazed the wall.
Since I don't wanna claim insurance, any idea how much it will cost to brush-paint it, and how effective is this technique?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th September 2007, 14:21   #2
BHPian

I would suggest leave it as it is. Wait until the first aniversary and then get all the paint jobs done.

by the way did u have those small black rubber bumper strips? did the scratches happen despite of that or would you have saved the bumper had those strips been present?

Regards,
Old 28th September 2007, 14:25   #3
BHPian

Vnabhi

a paint brush is generally used for touch up jobs.

How big are the scratched?? can you post pics?

I think for small touch up jobs you would not be charged more than Rs 250

have you tried to remove the scrathes with a rubbing compound?
Old 28th September 2007, 14:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Touch up job could be done free of cost while getting your car serviced from the Ford service station.
Total bumper painting could cost u around 3k.

Post some pics pls.
Old 28th September 2007, 14:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Minor scratches are typically paint-brushed free of cost. But from what you describe, that section of the bumper might have to be repainted, which shouldnt cost more than Rs 500.
Old 28th September 2007, 14:41   #6
BANNED

Buy a paint sprayer can matching to your cars color and do it, brush paint wont get you the finish.
Old 28th September 2007, 17:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Buy a paint sprayer can matching to your cars color and do it, brush paint wont get you the finish.
Stay away from doing sucha thing. Not recommended !! Spend that extra few bucks at the service center and get it repainted if needed.
Old 28th September 2007, 19:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Believe me, you do not want to do any touchup on that. The reason is the mettalic paint. No matter how well you try to match it the patch work will still show through and look mangy. Only solution is the proper painting of that part. This is the reason my car has hazaar scratches on the bumpers. People/bikers keep kissing the bumpers on all signals and on jostling roads. I normally keep accumulating these for a year or so and then take it and get the bumpers painted. Thats a better solution.
Old 28th September 2007, 19:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll follow Zappo's suggestion.
The scratches are around 7 to10 (all horizontal), around 2 to 3 inches wide, but not deep. But since the colour is paprika red, they are visible. Perhaps I am being finicky because the car is only 6 months old.
The cause of the scratches--I guess I pressed the brake a fraction of a second late, or mis-judged the distance. I felt a light metallic thunk, and the same sound came when I reversed.
Old 28th September 2007, 22:55   #10

I went through the same feelings when a cycle fellow scratched the rear bumper of my 2-month old Santro. I have a friend who thinks like Zappo...he asked me not to think about it for a few days...and guess what...I overcame that feeling. It does not bother me now.
Old 28th September 2007, 23:56   #11
BHPian

I bet it shouldn't be a problem cause most of the service stations does touch up works for free.
Old 29th September 2007, 04:14   #12
BHPian

Vnabhi... I know the feeling of seeing a scratch on a new baby!

I have a do it yourself low tech solution... this might sound very low tech but i've seen it work

Find a candle/shoe wax/lipstick that matches your car color (not sure if you get chipsticks for scraches in India), basically something that matches your car color and is wax based...

> Apply it on the scratch in a vertical motion if the scratch is horizontal or visa versa

> let it dry for sometime

> wipe off any excess wax around the scratch with a soft cloth (microfiber towels are the best)

Good Luck
Old 1st October 2007, 17:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, for all your inputs.
I walked down to a denting shop near my house, and he luckily had some left over paint of my car's colour. On my suggestion, he took a paint brush and painted over the scratches--- now the black bumper paint is no longer seen, but if you minutely observe, we can see the scratches. My wife has not seen it so far!!
I tipped him 100 bucks for it,and said I would be needing his services in future too, keeping Hyd bikers in mind.
As Zappo suggested, I shall wait for a few months and get a regular paint job done
Old 1st October 2007, 22:28   #14
BHPian

Your can also install the silver bumper strips (dont know what are they called) on all four sides.
1. To Hide the exsisting scratches
2. To protect the bumper from future scratches
Old 2nd October 2007, 02:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

My bumper got some scratches by hitting a stone. Being a white car, i took it to service center for touch up. It is not easily noticeable now. But, i would not recommend touch up job for major scratches on the bumper or any scratches on the car body.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks