Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 16:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2011 VW Vento engine head leaking oil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamsnn View Post
He also said that the vibration was from the malfunctioning engine bedding towards the right of the engine and that it had to be changed as well. Also, the brake pads were nearing their lifespan and had to be changed as well.
Strange you had to change the mounting at such low mileage, never the less, it could happen, don't worry too much, its a rubber part and could be a manufacturing defect right from the start or a service advisor who does not want to investigate anything and directly blame it on the mounting.

Quote:
But he dropped the big one when he said that the engine head was leaking oil, due to a malfunctioning gasket. He also said that it was a minor issue for now and since a replacement would cost up to Rs 10000, he told me that he would just clean it up and that I would have to check for low oil levels every now and then and top up the oil.
This is not to be taken LIGHTLY AT ALL. Your car is under warranty so ask him to change the gasket FOC ASAP. Once the warranty dies down, its a big expense on your head.
Old 15th January 2015, 21:22   #32

Re: How to test for a failed Engine Head Gasket

Thank you saket77 and humyum.

I am already having nightmares about having to deal with the incompetent VW ASC staff, tomorrow! Yes, I will vigorously ask for replacements under warranty.

Saket, the engine bedding looked big and to be made out of metal, so its ineffectiveness can be ruled if it was a rubber component. Yet, I will be inquiring more into it.
gautamsnn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 00:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

How did your Sherlock deduce that it was rats? Did you even get to see the part which was taken out and replaced?
As for the head gasket, I'm surprised he let you go without changing it. Tell me, is your car coming out of warranty soon?

Last edited by mayankk : 16th January 2015 at 01:01.
Old 16th January 2015, 21:29   #34

Mayank, I saw rat droppings and chewed paper bits on the engine cover when I opened the bonnet before a wash, though I did not look at the vacuum hose or pipes. They showed the bitten pipes with tiny holes here and there. So they have replaced it (Rs 3000).

But here is the big one for today. I went to pick my car and I found it at the rear of the ASC, unwashed. I asked the CR Manager if he had spoken to the Service Manager about the gasket and its replacement under warranty. I met him and their replies were shockingly funny!

To quote them "gaskets or sealants (that's what they told me) are rubber and plastic components and hence do not come under warranty claims". The SM even said that they will not honour the warranty terms and asked me to escalate this issue to the GM or VW through an e-mail. They were falsely polite in saying that they exist for the customer and that they would be happy to forward the mail to the GM through their own mail id's. They even foretold that the GM or people from VW would also reject my claims, but they would put in a word to treat this as a special case for warranty consideration! Beat that!

So, I refused point blank to take delivery of my car, until they have sorted out the issue. I will be writing the the GM and VW as well, and if I get the foretold reply, then I will straight away, go for legal action. Please advise me about this issue as well.

I am posting a few pictures of the engine head and the oil leaks surrounding it. They have trickled down to the surrounding pipes as well. Also posting a pic of the replaced engine bedding.

P.S - The service bill is around Rs 20535, 13000 for service and 7000 for changing the engine bedding, brake pads and the vacuum pipes.
Attached Thumbnails
How to test for a failed Engine Head Gasket-20150116_165641.jpg  

How to test for a failed Engine Head Gasket-20150116_165645.jpg  

How to test for a failed Engine Head Gasket-20150116_165711.jpg  

How to test for a failed Engine Head Gasket-20150116_165721.jpg  

Old 16th January 2015, 23:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:

I am posting a few pictures of the engine head and the oil leaks surrounding it. They have trickled down to the surrounding pipes as well. Also posting a pic of the replaced engine bedding.

P.S - The service bill is around Rs 20535, 13000 for service and 7000 for changing the engine bedding, brake pads and the vacuum pipes.
Can you smell that oil and check if it is "diesel" or engine oil ?
That VW ASC has given you the quote for Head gasket change whereas this is the head cover. I don't think the head cover gasket is leaking because the oil is above it.

Only two things come to my mind-
1.If the oil is engine oil then the leak could be from the oil filler cap.
2.If it is diesel then the injector seals could be leaking.

The issue of excess vibration during cold starts could indicate faulty glow-plug or its wiring(due to rat chewing).

Please post few more pictures from different angles.
For now- Get the area cleaned up and then check the source of leak.

Last edited by interc00led : 16th January 2015 at 23:31.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 13:55   #36
BHPian

Hi friends,
Can someone comment on this problem? My father-in-law owns a 2006 model MPFI maruti 800 AC. The car is really a gem and gives a mileage of 17 kmpl with AC. Sometimes on peak summer days the fan runs to dissipate excess heat. Everything was fine, until one fine day I noticed that the coolant was disappearing. The coolant level was dropping very slowly, though.

Today I performed a test-With the engine cool in the morning, I started the car with the radiator cap open. I noticed some bubbles which disappeared after 3-4 seconds. There were absolutely no bubbles after that. Can I conclude that the head gasket has gone kaput.

Help solicited from all members. Reputation at stake in front of father-in-law

Thanks in Advance
Ashok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks