Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 17:21   #76
BHPian

Last edited by redfire : 7th March 2008 at 16:26. Reason: speeling

Completely OT: Sorry. Just couldn't help it.

Rajan
Old 7th March 2008, 17:27   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Last edited by redfire : 7th March 2008 at 16:26. Reason: speeling

Completely OT: Sorry. Just couldn't help it.

Rajan
Hahahaha... even I couldn't. Sorry for the inconvenience though.
Old 13th March 2008, 18:07   #78
BHPian

Hi Roterhead,

I consulted Dr. R Satish ( neuro surgeon - Manipal hospital, bangalore). I do not know if he is available for OPD b/c I could meet him only between 2 operations once. I gave on reference of one more leading doctor so Dr. Satish was kind enough to meet me between his operations. You can check in Manipal if he is available for OPD. He might be running private clinic also. His suggestions/comments were really good and helpful. Unlike other doctors he was not much interested in surgery/ steroids and he gave some simple tips as I mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 13th March 2008, 18:54   #79
BHPian

If going to Manipal, you can consider consulting Dr. Rajat Chauhan too, he specializes in Sports Medicine and may be able to help.
Call up Manipal and speak to him before any visit and describe the ailment first.
Old 19th March 2008, 15:14   #80
BHPian

Thanks for the useful info avimal and aburagohain.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:39   #81
BHPian

Belated reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Hi doc, welcome to the forum!
Apart from the climbing in/out factor, how is sitting in a low car detrimental to one's lower back? If the seat provides good lumbar support should that not suffice?

Also, since dumping our car may not be an option, how can we make things better? Anything particular that will help reduce the stress?
Hi,
Sorry to take so long to reply, but I don't visit this site regularly.
You are right. Apart from the postures you get into, low cars are not particularly bad. However, if you already have a low back ache, the twisting and turning that you do to get in and out (especially if you are tall) really stresses your back out. A good lumbar support is more preventive and therapeutic, meaning that it is not all that great once you get pain.

If you really cannot change your car, the only things that will help you are exercise and moderation. There are a number of exercises to strengthen the spine, which may help to reduce the pain or prevent it from recurring. Any good physiotherapist should be able to help you-there is no need to visit a doctor, unless you have pain radiating to your lower limbs, numbness, weakness or difficulty in passing urine (or the pain is very severe, affecting your normal life).

Back pain generally becomes worse if you maintain a posture for a long time. Sitting posture is the worst, since intra-disc pressures are maximum when you sit. So if you have to drive the car for long distances, the recommendation is to take a break every 30-45 minutes. Stop the car, get out, stretch, and walk around for 3-5 minutes before continuing your journey.

Hope that clears your doubts.

Last edited by brainscooper : 20th March 2008 at 12:44.
brainscooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2008, 19:34   #82
BHPian

Disc Breaks!

Disc Breaks! Dard-e-Disc!

We need some serious help here.

I drive a Santro LS 2001, and a have a 2001 WagonR which is without power steering. I would like to bring to your notice that WagonR is a far better drive. Offers much better support, the pedal positions are far better and the steering even without the EPS/hydraulic support is far better positioned. Having said that, the XING is slightly better than Santro, but my recommendation would be the WagonR any day.

The next car is the Fusion. It is easy to drive.

I have struggled with back pain for the past 2-3 years. The pain gets aggravated around high traffic days.

Incidentally, people in Delhi may know of the BRT project. On the launch of the project, it took me 3 hours to get to office (usually it takes 1.5 hours). And on the way back it again took me 3 hours. Total time spent in the car was 6 hours. The result: severe back ache for the next 10 days. Was wearing a belt and acting 20 years older. Even laughing on a casual joke sent chillers down my spine.

I am currently considering the Verna, and test driving it again tomorrow to check on the back support.

Ideally we should limit our TD enthusiasm and we must test drive the car in high traffic times where clutch brake traffic persists. That way we can guage the stress the car causes and the seating comfort.

I am unsure whether height adjustable seats in the verna/fiesta or other sedans help.

I am 6'3 and I reckon tall people get this problem in any car they may drive.

Hope we accelerate the strength of our spines and apply brakes to the disc pain.

-- Mohak
Old 9th June 2008, 03:41   #83
Senior - BHPian

Boss, considered keeping a driver? 3 hours a side is atrocious. We've moved off the BRT route as much as we can! Even at 11, chiragdilli is a ten minute headache!
Old 18th November 2008, 16:48   #84
BHPian

Seat cushion

I am driving my zen every day for 60km (30km each side).
In morning time it takes hardly 45 minutes for me to reach but in evening it takes me 2.5 hours to come back the same way.
The back pain, KNEE PAIN & sudden loss of sensation in left thigh is felt both ways, ya but major effect is felt on the return path. I feel my seats have lost their cushioning effect as if I drive the same road in new swift with bigger & softer seats, the pain felt is nigligible.

I thought for a cushion change but one guy said it will take 4-5 hours & other told that it will take minimum 3 days . I am totally confused as both of them are putting an add on cushion on my seats and not replacing it. So I do not know how much really it should take as I dont want to land in a situation where the add on cushion actually disturbed my drive and gave more pain. I think the seats are designed for comfort and misalignment of cushion may give unwanted pain.

Can some body please guide me what can be done with the seats.
I drive Old Maruti ZEN
Old 25th February 2009, 16:57   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post
I am driving my zen every day for 60km (30km each side).
In morning time it takes hardly 45 minutes for me to reach but in evening it takes me 2.5 hours to come back the same way.
The back pain, KNEE PAIN & sudden loss of sensation in left thigh is felt both ways, ya but major effect is felt on the return path. I feel my seats have lost their cushioning effect as if I drive the same road in new swift with bigger & softer seats, the pain felt is nigligible.

I thought for a cushion change but one guy said it will take 4-5 hours & other told that it will take minimum 3 days . I am totally confused as both of them are putting an add on cushion on my seats and not replacing it. So I do not know how much really it should take as I dont want to land in a situation where the add on cushion actually disturbed my drive and gave more pain. I think the seats are designed for comfort and misalignment of cushion may give unwanted pain.

Can some body please guide me what can be done with the seats.
I drive Old Maruti ZEN
Sachin, I for one, can appreciate your agony since I belong to the same club of long drives and twitching back pain after a stop and go drive.

Oflate, I have changed over to a Swift VDi and and have installed a black leather lumber support. The product not only looks decent on my back seat cover, it is also effective.

After the installation, I could gather enough courage to go for a long drive (around 300 kms one way) without any break, and believe it or not, the results were simply fantastic. Normally even if I was not driving, that distance would have kicked off the pain unless I had put on my imported lumber support belt. But this time, for a change, I was driving and driving without putting on my LS belt and the LS cushion installed on the driver's seat just worked out the miracle for me.

You can try it out dude. It is not costly and if I remeber correctly, I paid around 1K for the product. I am happy with it and thought of sharing my experience with you, in case it helps.

Take care & drive safe
Soumitra.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:41   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Soum, how about a picture of that lumbar support device? What brand is it? Would surely help others. Thanks
Old 26th February 2009, 11:01   #87
Senior - BHPian

Driving in Delhi/NCR is getting painfull everyday.

Besided other solution, one solution is to change your office timing if possible.

I changed my office time to 8-5 to avoid traffice, and works from home for 2-3 days. That have saved my time and back alot.

Pics please
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUM View Post
After the installation, I could gather enough courage to go for a long drive (around 300 kms one way) without any break.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

drove around 10 hours straight with the lumbar support on the camry + another 10 hours back within a gap of a day.
Back doesn't show any signs of pain etc.(well maybe because im just 21 )
i before driving put the lumbar on max position.
Cant say the same about the palio i have to take breaks after 2 hours or so.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:41   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Soum, how about a picture of that lumbar support device? What brand is it? Would surely help others. Thanks
Well I have this one, it has a strap on the back which can be wound around the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Severe back pain and driving!-100_00561.jpg  

Old 26th February 2009, 23:29   #90
Team-BHP Support

I also tried a similar thing. Did not find it comfortable. Basically, my neck did not get proper support since the distance from the head rest increased with this thing.

Its just a cushion to support the lower back that I use nowadays.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks