Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 13:17   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I also tried a similar thing. Did not find it comfortable. Basically, my neck did not get proper support since the distance from the head rest increased with this thing.

Its just a cushion to support the lower back that I use nowadays.

That's the reason mine is lying on a redundant chair instead of car!
Moreover, such a big back rest leaves very little space to sit comfortably even.
Old 27th February 2009, 23:16   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

I've lived with backache for the last 6-7 years now (also laid up in bed for 6 weeks once), and would like to put forth some small pointers I've learnt about over the years.
1. All dentists get backache, and learn to live with / avoid the pain gradually.
2. Never carry on working with a mild backache, hoping it will go away with time and a few painkillers. It won't. Stop working and give your back a rest.
3. Rest up when the pain starts, and you'll be ok soon. Make the pain worse and then take to bed, and you'll be there longer.
4. Heat helps backache like magic. Short wave diathermy, a simple heat pad with thermostatic control, even a hot water bottle - it heals the pain faster.
5. Analgesics help - just till the pain is not too bad. Muscle relaxants only make things worse.
6. Use a lumbar support belt for a few days to get through the most painful periods. Moderate use for a few days allows the pain to go down. Regular long-term use of the belt leaves the back muscles relaxed, and the spine doesn't get as much muscular support when the belt is removed.
7. Exercise your back, do yoga, do whatever - but never do anything to the point of discomfort.
8. Sitting and sleeping - do exactly what keeps you comfortable. Driving, sitting at the desk, etc. - if you get a back pain after 2 hours that was not there earlier, you've got a wrong posture. Check and correct the next time. Experiment with a small cushion, a rolled towel, anything that is easy to do. The expensive support cushions may not work for you. Each individual's back is different.
Old 12th March 2009, 23:33   #93
BHPian

Folks seriously need to try Daewoo Matiz's seats. That was one ride, itellyou. In comparison the i10 and esp. the WagonR are pathetic in ergonomics. I hope the 'spark' carries forward those seats. I've driven in the most horrendous of Delhi jams, sometimes from5pm to 9pm. Fresh as a lemon at 9.30.
Thus the seat plays a major nee vital role in ergonomics.

What about shifting to automatics and CVTs? i10, ANHC, Civic have decent options. Where has the maruti auto 'box dropped off to? The earlier Zen used to come as the AXi?
Old 13th March 2009, 11:14   #94
Senior - BHPian

I think tall cars/SUV will be very comfortable...Try either Scorpio or Bolero.
Old 13th March 2009, 13:05   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Well I have this one, it has a strap on the back which can be wound around the seat.
It is a very useful device which will help balance out your back pain by giving you a pain in the neck.

Many "lumbar support device"s such as this one go overboard with the support part - your back does not have a natural curve that is SO pronounced!

Lumbar support should be minimal padding at the lower back portion. Minimal, yet firm. It probably requires just a couple of centimeters or so of support at the right place to be totally comfortable.

Please do not try contraptions such as these. 2 very good seats I can experienced and can recommend for replacement in your cars are (1) Ford Mondeo and (2) Tata Safari. Obviously (1) will cost about 5-6 times the cost of (2) but it is eve better than (2).

Try replacing your seats.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:13   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
..Lumbar support should be minimal padding at the lower back portion. Minimal, yet firm. It probably requires just a couple of centimeters or so of support at the right place to be totally comfortable.
What are the best options (specific brands/ products) for separate lumbar support in cars in India? Browsing through this thread one brand i have come across is Amaron. Any other?
-regards,
Old 13th March 2009, 18:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

Will be combing this thread for any useful info soon. I've been suffering from spondylolisthesis for 6 years thanks to a fracture in my lower back. Finally getting it fixed. Surgery next week.
So, no driving for 2-3 months thereafter, but will need some good lumbar support seats when I am back in the driver's seat.
Has anyone tried retrofitting another car's seats in a Lancer (or any other car for that matter)? Any suggestions for a car that has good, supportive seat as OE?
Old 13th March 2009, 21:07   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Will be combing this thread for any useful info soon. I've been suffering from spondylolisthesis for 6 years thanks to a fracture in my lower back. Finally getting it fixed. Surgery next week.
So, no driving for 2-3 months thereafter, but will need some good lumbar support seats when I am back in the driver's seat.
Has anyone tried retrofitting another car's seats in a Lancer (or any other car for that matter)? Any suggestions for a car that has good, supportive seat as OE?
Wish u all the best and a speedy recovery thereafter.

I got a disc prolapse in Dec last yr. Now, post 3 months i am ok(thanks to daily exercise and a month of initial "complete" bed rest. ) . I have bought a U-VA after doing a lot of search on the cars. It has a H-Point seating arrangememnt. Google around for that.

Apart from that i use a Amaron executive support in office. Its works good for me. You can try out.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:31   #99
BHPian

Suffering from Knee and Back Pain in Alto

Hi Guys,

I have been driving Alto for close to 3 months now. Of late, i have been experiencing Mid-Lower Back Pain and Thigh Pain, Knee Joint Pain in my right leg when i drive for a long time say more than an Hour. I am about 5' 8"and kinda have long legs. I take my Seat completely back and then move it a bit in front. Often, i keep my right leg hanging (heel off the floor) when accelerating and braking or switching between the two. Is that the cause of my Pain in the Legs?
Of late, my Knee Joint also pains when i am not driving. So, am a bit concerned.
Any Recommendations for eliminating the Back Pain like a Back Support or something like that?
Any suggestions or recommendations from you Guys will be helpful.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Hi Guys,
i have been experiencing Mid-Lower Back Pain and Thigh Pain, Knee Joint Pain in my right leg when i drive for a long time say more than an Hour. I am about 5' 8"and kinda have long legs.
Any suggestions or recommendations from you Guys will be helpful.
hi abhi,

i am 6 feet tall and drive my alto comfortably for hours.

1] adjust the seat so that angle of thigh to leg will be max at comfortable.
2] adjust back of seat so that angle of back to thigh should be more than 90 degrees at comfortable position.
3] while driving, you should rest your right leg toe at floor.
4] keep your right leg knee rested at door.
5] about left leg, keep the knee rested at small space between stg and plastic of ICE panel cluster.

this position will give you comfort for hours of driving.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th March 2009 at 10:15.
Old 17th March 2009, 11:03   #101
BHPian

Hi,

I also have severe knee pain on the left leg driving my Baleno LXi (without driver seat height adjustment). This happens only when I drive in city when there is bumper-to-bumper traffic. Using the clutch constantly to shift between 1st and neutral is what causes all the pain for me. Surprisingly, I hardly experience this while on a long distance drive to say Mumbai.

I plan to meet an orthopedic soon. As only my left knee pains, I hope to rule out arthritis because "joint involvement is usually symmetrical, meaning that if a joint hurts on the left hand, the same joint will hurt on the right hand" (from Arthritis Foundation | Symptoms Treatments | Prevention Tips | Pain Relief Advice). Hopefully, he'll prescribe the right exercises for my knees.

I don't have much back pain because I do stretching and back strengthening exercises as part of the gym routine.

At times, the left knee pain is so bad that I'm tempted to look for an automatic or a high-seating car like the SX4. But then with the recession, I'm better off with knee pain than EMIs all over again.

Sometimes, I wish I had bought the VXi model, which I believe has driver seat height adjuster. I'm trying to source a height adjustable seat. I guess it will cost be anywhere between 15k to 20k. First, I'll have to try a test drive on the VXi model (hopefully, Millenium Mobility still has that test VXi car) before plonking that money for that seat, if it is available. I'll keep you posted about the progress I make.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been driving Alto for close to 3 months now. Of late, i have been experiencing Mid-Lower Back Pain and Thigh Pain, Knee Joint Pain in my right leg when i drive for a long time say more than an Hour.

Last edited by pradkumar : 17th March 2009 at 11:15.
Old 18th March 2009, 05:58   #102
BHPian

@ Ashish :

Thanks for your suggestions. Will try them out.

@ PradKumar :

In My Case, my Right Knee Joint pains and not the left one. I sometimes stretch my Left Leg when there is no traffic. But can't do that for the Right Leg.
Old 18th March 2009, 08:29   #103
Senior - BHPian

Hello Abhi,

Am slightly above 5'11'' and have had driven my Alto for straight long hours but have not yet faced any pains due to the seating. Yes, fatigue does set in, but a short stop and stretch fixes that.

I do believe it might be your seating position, so do try out the tips by Ashish.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:26   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

My MRI report just came in. Been grounded the last few days with a low back pain which progressively started to get worse (and I was progressively using heavier doses of analgesics to keep working, despite knowing this wasn't right), after a fall from the stairs (about 6 steps) exactly 4 weeks ago. It reads:
MR findings reveal disc degenerative disease as
- disc dessication at L4-L5 and L5-S1.
- posterocentral disc extrusion at L4-L5 impinging over bilateral traversing nerve roots.
- diffuse disc bulge at L5-S1.
- ligamentum flavum hypertrophy at L4-L5.

Orthopedic says stay in bed completely for 7-10 days.

Very depressed...
Old 18th March 2009, 21:53   #105
Senior - BHPian

OT: Then boss why are you posting all this instead of resting saar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks