Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2007, 23:01   #1
Thomas T

Muffler Rusting

Hi guys...

i own an indica v2 petrol. it might be because of the short distance run its used for but its Muffler and also the Pre silencer gets rusted off and starts to make a rattling noise. So i was thinking of changing my exhaust system to automech system. i heard it also comes in stainless steel build also. is there any other choice for Exhaust system? will changing my muffler to automech (the stainless steel one )solve the problem...

please help

Old 25th October 2007, 00:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you're looking to change just your muffler, then you have quite a few options, Automech being one of them. There are also other brands like Magnaflow. Browse through this forum for more names, or get hold of a magazine like Autocar or Overdrive... lots of ads there.
There are also folks who will build you custom exhaust parts, a lot of whom are members here. Again, a quick search through the Mods & Accs section will get you their details.

If you're changing parts of the exhaust, you could also think of opting for a full free flow exhaust, which can be obtained from the same people mentioned above.
Old 25th October 2007, 07:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Live near to beach area? How old is your car?
Old 25th October 2007, 08:35   #4
BHPian

Going for a stainless steel muffler is good.
Old 25th October 2007, 08:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Right time to invest in headers & Free flow, I'd think.
Old 25th October 2007, 18:48   #6
BHPian

Go in for either SS Muffler or if you are going for automech, get the whole exhaust system replaced including headers and FFE.
Old 25th October 2007, 19:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

If its only the muffler you wanna replace it'll cost you around 5k for a SS one. But i suggest you get a header and free flow exhaust along with the end can. The performance will be an added bonus
Old 25th October 2007, 21:49   #8
BANNED

It definitely is because of the short distances run. Indica V2 petrols have this silencer issue for cars that run less distances per drive.

An SS exhaust should do the trick. Let me know if it works.

I've changed the silencer only once and have had it welded back once in 82000 km. My minimum run is 20 km if I use the car. Plus, I do a lot of highway driving, which I guess has helped the silencer cause.
Old 25th October 2007, 22:04   #9
Thomas T

the problem is that my car has run only 25k but had to change to change the pre silencer and the muffler,each once. how much will a full kit ie the headers to the end can cost...... also is it possible to get a comparison between the various options(both cost and performance)

Old 25th October 2007, 22:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
It definitely is because of the short distances run. Indica V2 petrols have this silencer issue for cars that run less distances per drive.

An SS exhaust should do the trick. Let me know if it works.

I've changed the silencer only once and have had it welded back once in 82000 km.
the diesel ones rust too. i was told to replace the silencer after two weld works, which made the third attempt impossible

its been about 3+ years now, and no signs of giving up yet. moreover, being in a coastal area, that it is rust prone.

please do check with the service center, as i remember being told then that the later ones are less rust prone
Old 26th October 2007, 11:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T View Post
how much will a full kit ie the headers to the end can cost? also is it possible to get a comparison between the various options(both cost and performance)
Thomas, The below links will give u all the info u need.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-ffe-car.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ry-esteem.html

Although the 2nd link pertains to the esteem, the logic behind the header design (4x1 or 4x2x1) remains the same. Performance figures and output may vary though.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th October 2007 at 11:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks