Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 15:45   #1
BHPian

mods query + esteem

i have a 2002 mpfi esteem, it delivers 85bhp stock, as all of you guys know.
the car remains untouched, totally stock.

was planning to sell it off, but have changed my mind now, want to mod the engine, to get more power/torque. even a little will do.

all suggestions are welcome.

does anyone here on TBHP have a MPFI 1.3 giving them more energy??
if yes, please share the details and info.

wanna know, what good performance stuff is available for this gal?
any specific companies making better stuff than the others for this car particularly?

and how have your experiences been with them parts? which ones are good?
and how does she respond now?

anyone here got a good deal of experience with moddin' this baby?

cmon guys the least we can do is 10HP!!!

cheers

Last edited by blue2ki : 16th October 2007 at 15:48. Reason: bad grammer corrected
Old 16th October 2007, 16:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

i think psycho has a turbo esteem and from what ive read its fast.
Old 17th October 2007, 15:44   #3
BHPian

* * * B U M P !! * * * :d
Old 17th October 2007, 17:28   #4
BHPian

it would depend on what you want you could either go f.i nitrous,turbo or you could stay n.a.
Old 17th October 2007, 18:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how i didnt see this thread.

First off, get a K&N filter. You can go for the universal type or the OE type. Universal filters will require some aftermarket pipe(s) to be fitted and the advantage is that you can re-route the filter to a cooler spot in the bonnet. I have an OE K&N in my esteem mpfi and it is more than sufficient considering I dont want any heavy mod's (to preserve the daily drive aspect). Downside of an universal filter is that its more prone to dust and requires cleaning more frequently that you think it does.

Next, get a performance exhaust system (header+freeflow exhaust).

4x1 headers improve mid range and top end power while it sarcifices low end torque to quite an extent. This can be irritating in stop and go traffic as you will end up riding the clutch and frying them eventually. These type of headers are generally custom made and can make highway drives very addictive, induced with high adrenalin doses. Contact psycho for a nice race spec 4x1 header. My car's exhaust system was custom made by psycho.

4x2x1 headers improve low and mid range power to give you superb acceleration. Contact psycho or rjstyles for this type again.

Next you can go for a porting / polishing job, aftermarket ECU's (search the forum for this. There is extensive info available. Or contact our member RDKarthik for info on aftermarket ECU's). Also adding to the above list is the high lift cam or performance cam. But the right cam should be chosen to ensure daily drive is not sacrificed.

Turbo is another addition to the list. But the cost and reliability of aftermarket turbo's might not be very inspiring to a few people. NOS kits also can be considered for that occasional boost of insane power. FRK in blore is known for good NOS installs.

End can's or mufflers can be custom made for a loud or muted sound. Generally the SS ones produce deep bassy notes while the custom made ones produce a rally note. Do remember that the center muffler plays an important part in cutting out some of the sound. My car is insanely loud as the center muffler is absent and so is the cat con. I have a straight pipe from the headers till the tail end.

Few points to be considered :

1. Go step by step instead of all the mod's at once. This will help you understand what the gain is from each mod.

2. Consider upgrading the tires and brakes - on an esteem this is highly recommended.

3. How much gain? Thats tough to answer considering most of us dont have dyno'd results. Most fig's you hear are only arising from speculation AFAIK.

All the best in your plans. Do keep us posted on the progress.

Last edited by n_aditya : 17th October 2007 at 18:34.
Old 17th October 2007, 23:31   #6
BHPian

1. planing to get the 185/60 R14's, will replace the stock 175/70 R13's
2. brake upgrade for this baby, suggest.
3. which filter from K&N or what CAI?
4. how much does 4x2x1 header job for the esteem cost?

all suggestions welcome
Old 18th October 2007, 00:46   #7

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

instead of a universal filter,i would suggest you go for the k&n apollo cai kit or the green's storm dynamisation kit.a good set of 4x2x1headers,porting,polishing.that should be good enough.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:03   #8
BHPian

hey guys! am thinking of some mods for my Esteem too. The filter is surely the first on the list. I was thinking about the Ractive EV500. Has any1 used it/TDed it on an Esteem? How would you compare this with K&N?
Old 18th October 2007, 13:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
k&n apollo cai kit or the green's storm dynamisation kit.a good set of 4x2x1headers,porting,polishing.that should be good enough.
1. k&n apollo and greens storm dyna. kit, any major difference?
2. anyone got a dyno sheet post-install?
3. HP gain not more than 2 or 2.5 with the CAI? don't expect.
4. headers 4x2x1, porting polishing will get more HP, could you give me an approxmate gain range? though dyno will tell, the real story, but what am i looking at?

thanks

Last edited by blue2ki : 18th October 2007 at 13:44.
Old 18th October 2007, 15:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATAL3RROR View Post
I was thinking about the Ractive EV500. Has any1 used it/TDed it on an Esteem? How would you compare this with K&N?
Hey fatal3rror, there are a lot of threads on this topic. Pls search for more info.

1. planing to get the 185/60 R14's, will replace the stock 175/70 R13's
2. brake upgrade for this baby, suggest. - You can get rear disc brakes. But i dunno how easy / feasible / cost effective this is.
3. which filter from K&N or what CAI? - I suggest the OE K&N unless you plan on heavy engine mod's.
4. how much does 4x2x1 header job for the esteem cost? - Full header + exhaust system can cost around 8k and above. See thread started by esteem lover on this topic.
Old 18th October 2007, 16:29   #11
BHPian

@ n_aditya
what amount of HP/torque gain am i looking at with a k&n, FFE, and a 4x2x1 header job, gimme a ballpark estimate
thanks for the info. bro

any one got a dyno sheet, showing preicse figures?
Old 18th October 2007, 19:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2ki View Post
what amount of HP/torque gain am i looking at with a k&n, FFE, and a 4x2x1 header job, gimme a ballpark estimate
I wont be able to give you an accurate figure as I haven't dyno'd my ride after the mod's dude.

I guess you can expect around 8 bhp increase... i may not be correct though.

Performance wise my 0-100kmph time is 10.2 secs against the stock 0-100kmph time of 11.4 secs. Manages to go over 165kmph in III gear. Havent timed this one though.
Old 18th October 2007, 23:36   #13
BHPian

@n_aditya
ayee!! thats neat, whats the max. speed?
list all of them mods you got. k&n, FFE and??
all details please..
ported polished?
Old 18th October 2007, 23:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2ki View Post
@n_aditya
list all of them mods you got. k&n, FFE and?? all details please..
ported polished?
AFAIK his car runs a K&N OE replacement filter with rally spec headers(4x1) and farts aloud once you cross 4k rpm .

No porting or polishing done. What say Adi ?
Old 19th October 2007, 13:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
AFAIK his car runs a K&N OE replacement filter with rally spec headers(4x1) and farts aloud once you cross 4k rpm .

No porting or polishing done. What say Adi ?
The farts have stopped since the car got a SS end can. But the car is insanely loud.

No porting/polishing. Just OE K&N and FFE with 4x1 race spec headers from psycho.

Top speed achieved was 185-190 kmph (i was alone and just glanced on the speedo) and it was a nightmare considering I was running stock tube type tires at that time. One helluva scary ride since the car is almost floating once you cross 170kmph. A nicely designed (pratically tested) spoiler should compensate for this. The car was still edging on when the A-pedal was floored but it wasnt worth going any faster.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th October 2007 at 13:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks