Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 11:46   #1
BHPian

Dent on the body - Will the paint peel off if I repair it?

I was in Jog Falls last weekend, after an enjoyable ride in my Palio Stile.

After returning from Jog, I noticed a small dent on the left side of the bonnet. It was not there before. Probably something should have hit the car while it was parked. But there is no mark of any sharp object having touched it as the paint is intact and there is not even a scratch on it. It appears as if somebody has hit it with a rubber hammer. The dent is visible from the side when light gets reflected from it.

Now the question is , should I ask the service centre to tinker it and bring it back to original shape? Will the paint come off if the part is tinkered? Will it make it necessary to repaint that part or should I simply accept and leave the dent as a memento from Jog?
Old 12th November 2007, 13:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

A picture of the dent would have definitely helped here.

Depends upon the intensity and depth of the dent. If its small, leave it, dont fiddle.

If its slightly bigger, check if the paint has develped any small superficial cracks, if yes, paint will chip off upon removal, if not, it might not, but depends on the depth of the dent, sometimes it chips off while removal, so you have to mentally prepared for it.
Old 12th November 2007, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

could it be from someone pressing the bonnet closed ? cause my car has a dent on the bonnet as well and i feel thats why it happened
Old 12th November 2007, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
I was in Jog Falls last weekend, after an enjoyable ride in my Palio Stile.

After returning from Jog, I noticed a small dent on the left side of the bonnet. It was not there before. Probably something should have hit the car while it was parked. But there is no mark of any sharp object having touched it as the paint is intact and there is not even a scratch on it. It appears as if somebody has hit it with a rubber hammer. The dent is visible from the side when light gets reflected from it.

Now the question is , should I ask the service centre to tinker it and bring it back to original shape? Will the paint come off if the part is tinkered? Will it make it necessary to repaint that part or should I simply accept and leave the dent as a memento from Jog?
Please post a pic of it..
From what u are saying i feel it should be left as it is. The best u can do is get the dent removed by the dry denting process in which your original paint will remain intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
could it be from someone pressing the bonnet closed ? cause my car has a dent on the bonnet as well and i feel thats why it happened
Its a F I A T
Old 12th November 2007, 15:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

I feel some fruit/branch might have fallen on your car. The same thng happened to my Ikon. I had stopped the car under a coconut tree and a coconut had fallen on the car roof and there is a dent now-no scratches on the dented portion and the paint is intact. I have left it alone, if I try to do some thing, I may end up messing the whole thing. Well this is my experience.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:36   #6
BHPian

sorry to hijack this thread ankura12. As this topic is almost same to mine i choose to do so.
Firstly as i'm still a novice to driving, today as i took my baby to rounds, as i was leaving the petrol bunk and taking a left to join the road,i was seeing right hand side for traffic and as i took the left turn their was an electric pole to the left of the car which just touched my baby and caused a skreeeeeeek!!!! God, i stopped the car and went to look and their were three scratches on the left front and rear doors, the scratches were felt when i touched them. Is their any solution.

RAmki.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
... and their were three scratches on the left front and rear doors, the scratches were felt when i touched them. Is their any solution.
For scratch removal, see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...s-removal.html
Old 12th November 2007, 16:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Save them up

"All phenomena are appearances only." -Samkara, Hindu sadhu
"All phenomena are ephemeral and totally dependent on each other"
-Nagarjuna, Buddhist sadhu

"Set thee not up wordly treasures." -Jesus, Christian sadhu
"Dents? You have to mentally prepared for it." -Dadu, Bhp sadhu

What I do is try to save up my scratches, dents and dings and then periodically take the vehicle to a shop and get them all fixed at one time.
-DirtyDan Bhp twit
Old 12th November 2007, 16:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

What I do is try to save up my scratches, dents and dings and then rationalize myself into thinking "why sweat for this piece of s***" and it works nicely.
Old 15th January 2008, 10:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
What I do is try to save up my scratches, dents and dings and then rationalize myself into thinking "why sweat for this piece of s***" and it works nicely.
It is tough mentally for some time. Seeing the dent/scratch for some more time will make you get used to it.....

Last edited by arunkumar_rec : 15th January 2008 at 10:18.
Old 15th January 2008, 10:16   #11
BHPian

I had a similar problem. There were 2 small scratches within 2 months of buying my car. Not deep, but visible from a short distance.

I had once parked my car (still remember it was my son's naming ceremony) somewhere, and i come back and see a garbage trolley resting against my car :(. I was shocked. A small dent and a few scratches. I no longer worried about the first 2 small scratches. I had a bigger problem here.

Then there was another bigger dent (5cms dia). I am no longer worried about all of them now.
Old 16th January 2008, 11:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

well it does pain to see all the dents and the scratches, so every year in December i make it a point to get the dents removed and the scratches painted or the touch up work done!

just save up all the dents for the year's end and just get them fixed or just ignore them!, not a big deal, and we just cant help the impatient two and three wheelers and incidents mentioned above!

Last edited by rider60 : 16th January 2008 at 11:18.
Old 16th January 2008, 11:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ rider: Same here. I follow the same thing. Look, how our ideas meet within the team-BHP.
Old 16th January 2008, 12:21   #14
BANNED

there was a thread on using dry ice to remove dents. not sure if this actually works but do go throught it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-you-know.html
Old 16th January 2008, 12:59   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
yes the dent can be removed to some extent without damaging the paint . they have special tools for repairing these dents. i got a dent removed on my car without damaging the paint. but one thing that the denter told me that it can be only possible if the paint is stock otherwise if car has been repainted than paint will peel off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks