Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Engine Transplant in Baleno Lxi 2006

Hi All,

One of my friends want to transplant the engine of Baleno with a diesel engine. He loves the car very much but would like to have the economy of diesel too. Is this possible. preferably he is looking for engines like 1.3 Turbojet in swift or anything like that. If so suggest some good place in Trivandrum to do so.............
Old 29th November 2007, 21:01   #2
BHPian

He can do it in coimbatore and not in tvpm. Tvpm has got little expertise in taking up such a job. And i doubt whether your friend will get a book entry after conversion in kerala. He may get in tamilnadu though.
Old 29th November 2007, 21:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premdiv
he is looking for engines like 1.3 Turbojet in swift
Nice fantasy!
1. Ask him to LPG it.
a)its legal
b)its bolt-on
c)equally economical
2. There's 0.01% probability that u'll find a spare multijet engine for another year.
3. Ur signature gives me a hunch that ur friend is indeed U!
Old 29th November 2007, 21:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Nice fantasy!
1. Ask him to LPG it.
a)its legal
b)its bolt-on
c)equally economical
2. There's 0.01% probability that u'll find a spare multijet engine for another year.
im not planning to upgrade my engine in near future. if so i will go for a brand new car. he took the car along with me the same time...... . Regarding the LPG kit he is worried about the mileage and the missing problem in some cars here in tvm.
Old 29th November 2007, 21:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Track a goooood LPG installer/tuner in TVM through Team-BHP and he's good to go.
Bad installations and tuning should be avoided.
Suggest him the sequential injection LPG kit . Costs around 42k and works with its own 4 injectors and ECU.
Its the same kit that comes with the Cedia LPG from the factory.
Old 29th November 2007, 21:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Nice fantasy!
1. Ask him to LPG it.
a)its legal
b)its bolt-on
c)equally economical
actually i saw about 2 ford ikons the 1.3 flair version being put with the 1nt toyota engine in chennai.and those engines give you a lot of mileage really lot of.actually saw quite a lot of cars like the padmini etc with these engines there.
Old 29th November 2007, 21:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
actually i saw about 2 ford ikons the 1.3 flair version being put with the 1nt toyota engine in chennai.and those engines give you a lot of mileage really lot of.actually saw quite a lot of cars like the padmini etc with these engines there.
manikjeet has the same engine in his zen.
I think that engine would be damn slow for a Baleno.
Old 29th November 2007, 22:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

[quote=premdiv;642005]Hi All,

He loves the car very much but would like to have the economy of diesel too. QUOTE]

He'll hate it once converted as it will not be throughly integrated. Witness the Zen D
Old 29th November 2007, 22:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

go for the old toyota engine some cielos were fitted on .the swift engine would be under powered for a baleno.and good jobs are done at coimbatore rather than tvm.its best to go for sequential injection lpg kit and lpg is cheaper than diesel.
Old 29th November 2007, 23:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
go for the old toyota engine some cielos were fitted on .the swift engine would be under powered for a baleno.and good jobs are done at coimbatore rather than tvm.its best to go for sequential injection lpg kit and lpg is cheaper than diesel.
It wouldn't, the baleno is lighter than a swift hence better pwr/wt and trq/wt ratio. Getting ones hands on a 1.3 ddis engine would be quite tough though.
Old 29th November 2007, 23:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of my friends want to transplant the engine of Baleno with a diesel engine.
What was he smoking just about a year ago when he decided to plonk 6lacs for the Baleno ? Was he not aware that the petrol Baleno's FE would be lesser than a diesels ? I mean, it's his car and his money. But still if he was so much for diesel FE, there were other choices in the market, right ? Like say Fiesta, Verna, Swift etc etc. Why screw up a new car ?

Quote:
He loves the car very much but would like to have the economy of diesel too.
The heart of any car is its engine - and its a gem of an engine that the Baleno has, with good performance and FE too. And if he throws that away, I am not sure what exactly he fell in love with in a Baleno ? The looks ?

Actually I would not even suggest LPG. I know there would be lots of people here that would say that LPG does not screw up the car, its reliability etc. But, somehow with my experience on our M800 and seeing reliability issues with other LPG-converted cars, I would stay away from this exercise also.
Old 29th November 2007, 23:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premdiv View Post
Hi All,

One of my friends want to transplant the engine of Baleno with a diesel engine. He loves the car very much but would like to have the economy of diesel too. Is this possible. preferably he is looking for engines like 1.3 Turbojet in swift or anything like that. If so suggest some good place in Trivandrum to do so.............

is this a hypothetical discussion on which diesel engine would suit the baleno or is your friend really serious ?!! he must be joking man !!
Old 30th November 2007, 02:38   #13
BHPian

hmmm.. i wonder how that 1.6 would feel under my swift hood !!??? if i could fit it in there that is!!;-)
Old 30th November 2007, 12:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
Actually I would not even suggest LPG. I know there would be lots of people here that would say that LPG does not screw up the car, its reliability etc. But, somehow with my experience on our M800 and seeing reliability issues with other LPG-converted cars, I would stay away from this exercise also.
Please open ur mind to alternative fuels.
Today, the WagonR is the second most selling car in the country and it wouldn't have done anything close to this if not for its LPG variant.
Take the Cedia LPG's case, HM-Mitsu decided that non-availabilty of a diesel engine is not going to stop them and have come up with the most advanced sequential fuel injection system.So, Diesel economy with a petrol motor.
Old 30th November 2007, 14:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Please open ur mind to alternative fuels.
Today, the WagonR is the second most selling car in the country and it wouldn't have done anything close to this if not for its LPG variant.
Take the Cedia LPG's case,
Actually nitrous, I am all for alternate fuels as I very much know about how limited petro-resources are (Dad retired from a premier petro-exploration company). All I am against is the loss of reliability. If it is factory-fitted, it would be ofcourse better than the job done by a local lpg-fitter. But I have heard of issues with the WagonR duo also, which sort of makes me hesitant.

BTW, I dont think the WagonR success has much to do with the Duo model. Of all the WagonRs around us, how many are Duo ? I don't see many of them around in any case.

And as far as Cedia goes, how many Cedias (lpg or otherwise) are around ? Not enough to say anything about LPG being in vogue there also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks