Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 22:10   #1

Esteem jerky acceleration starting problem...help

Hi friends...i am having a small problem with my car (esteem 1998 model)...whenever I start my car...the start is very jerky...i mean the acceleration is not smooth...and sometimes if I dont give much acceleration the car stops...so usually I keep the accelerator pressed for sometime whenever I start the car ( i guess its done to warm up the engine)...but the jerky acceleration is there for few minutes after the car start moving...later on the drive is smooth....no jerky acceleration after driving the car for few minutes...

Is it a problem of the engine not getting hot quickly or some other problem...it will be really helpful if u ppl can help me find out the cause and suggestions to rectify the problem...

thanks in advance
Dev
Old 7th December 2007, 07:49   #2
BHPian

I think its the Starter motor and Ignition Coil that need to be checked, But the 1998 Esteem had a Distributor right and Carb.

In most cases rough accelaration is due to these parts at fault till they don't warm up and The Plugs can be checked out too.

Other than that,since the car drives good after the intial warmup,I doubt anything else.
Old 7th December 2007, 09:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Clean your air filter. And as suggested by wolfinstein, get the plugs checked.
Old 7th December 2007, 10:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Change the condensor and point in the distributor, put a MGP replacing it.
Old 7th December 2007, 11:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Guys i think he has a perfectly set air/fuel mixture because of which during cold starts the engine needs a richer mixture and he must be depressing the accelerator way too much to get the proper power but since the air/fuel mixture is the same itself the jerks as the engine is not able to deliever the power as its cold.
And since the engine after attaining the normal working temperature works properly he has nothing to worry about.
I bet my life on it that he must be getting good mileage
This is a small price u pay for getting power+mileage.
Also it can be a 'almost jammed' butterfly in the carb
Old 7th December 2007, 11:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

get complete engine tune up done, including carb and filters.
Old 9th December 2007, 19:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Jerky Esteem

Quote:
Originally Posted by devp24 View Post
Hi friends...i am having a small problem with my car (esteem 1998 model)...whenever I start my car...the start is very jerky...i mean the acceleration is not smooth...and sometimes if I dont give much acceleration the car stops...so usually I keep the accelerator pressed for sometime whenever I start the car ( i guess its done to warm up the engine)...but the jerky acceleration is there for few minutes after the car start moving...later on the drive is smooth....no jerky acceleration after driving the car for few minutes...

Is it a problem of the engine not getting hot quickly or some other problem...it will be really helpful if u ppl can help me find out the cause and suggestions to rectify the problem...

thanks in advance
Dev
Since yours is a carb Esteem,and you have reported this problem in Dec,it is because of the low ambient temperature and as a result,colder start ups.The Esteem motor is an aluminium alloy one..so expect the engine to get much colder than other engines.I faced the same problem in my '95 Esteem when I used it here.

Since you have reported that the jerks stop after sometime,I think you should not worry..just control your acceleration till the engine temp. gauge shows a little over the lowest mark.Then observe for jerks..it would have stopped.

Please check this and revert.
Old 10th December 2007, 00:47   #8

thanks a lot for your replies frends......the carb and engine tune up was done some times back....that time the mechanic had not tuned the enginer properly and the car used to stop a lot...after tuning it again the problem was reduced but still have the startup problem....

i will try to carry out all the suggestions provided by u all and hope the problem ends or minimizes at least.......

thanks again
devp24 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th February 2010, 00:28   #9
BHPian

ESTEEM Carb 99 VX

Hi Team,

As usual my experts are here so wanted to take some advice from you guys, I got an Esteem 99 VX, its in superb condition, except that I aint get a good mileage it hardly gives me 9kmpl and then there is a smal problem like when in the low gears like 1st or 2nd even third gear it gives jerks as though the fuel is going to end and then gives the pick up a little anoying though, Kindly help, recently changed engine oil new ignition coil.

Thanks
Old 10th February 2010, 22:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The jerks could be because changeover from idling jet to main jet in carbureter is not smooth.

You could also clean/change the fuel filter as a preventive measure.

You need to get your carb serviced;9kmpl is not acceptable.My Esteem used to return 13kmpl plus in city traffic

Servicing an Esteem Carb needs atience and expertise;please get it done by a competent mechanic.
Old 10th February 2010, 22:44   #11
BHPian

Some questions for you moster2
Do you see visible smoke from exhaust?
what size of tyres your car is running on?
Are you sure of getting right quantity and quality of fuel at your petrol bunk?
And finally how are you calculating mileage?
Old 11th February 2010, 01:25   #12
BHPian

Thanks for your replies guys
@ vigsom: I do get it serviced at a place where i used to previously give my GM cars, I do know he works on Maruti brand, basically he is a multibrand guy, any reliable and economical guys in hyderabad please recommend me.

@Hashim: no there is alot, though the petrol does not seem to get rich in Carb as you know easy cold start, more over im calculating the mileage checking the Needle in Meter that is does it come to the same position after doing X kms.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

Get the engine serviced completely.
- Carb overhaul, split it, check it, clean it and reinstall. Check if primary, secondary and idle circuits are working fine
- Replace all filters, spark plugs
- Replace oil
- Set valve timing. Good idea to take the compression reading to see if everything is ok
- Tune it to stock

Once you do all this it should give you 11-12 in city and around 15-18 on highways
Old 11th February 2010, 10:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
more over im calculating the mileage checking the Needle in Meter that is does it come to the same position after doing X kms.
I don't suppose you will get an accurate figure that way. Top up your tank and again top it up at the same bunk after 100 odd kms.

I am living with 9kmpl very happily. You can increase the low end by adding headers & FFE to your car.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

Actually you can if you design the header for low end, but you will have to compromise somewhere else

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks