Team-BHP - i10 hand brake issue
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   i10 hand brake issue (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/34351-i10-hand-brake-issue-2.html)

Hmmm, the guys in MASS told me that it's better to hear that Click sounds as the brake should work within 3-5 clicks and it's mentioned in the manual also(about 3-5 clicks).So just to be in the knowledge that the handbrake is not overly tightened we can use that click sound.Am I right ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 690893)
You should press the button, pull up, then release the button.

You are right. I have confirmed that my Santro manual also says the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushik_s (Post 691555)
Hmmm, the guys in MASS told me that it's better to hear that Click sounds as the brake should work within 3-5 clicks and it's mentioned in the manual also(about 3-5 clicks).So just to be in the knowledge that the handbrake is not overly tightened we can use that click sound.Am I right ?

No. Just because a guy works for a service station doesn't mean he knows how to drive.

You are overtightening, if you find it hard to release --- although I guess that is subjective, according to the strength of our left arms!

The cable needs adjusting when the brake is not fully engaged with reasonable pressure.

Service guys may use the number of clicks as a rule-of-thumb measure of how much to adjust the cable, but it it is not correct driving technique.

But hey! There are many, many, bad habits that are much more damaging to a car than this one ;)

To engage the handbrake on my car, i press the button, pull the handbrake lever, and its done. I prefer this against hearing the creaking sound of the brake being engaged. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 690818)
A knowledgable service engineer told me that the handbrake should fully engage with six clicks in my Santro.

Well, if we have the manual handy,we can know about the handbrake operation from it . I do not have any idea about Hyundai manuals ,but my 800 manual suggests that it should be anywhere between 5-8 'ticks'.I usually pull it with knob depressed(unlock mode) and release the knob when done. However , on an incline it is better to pull up the lever without pressing the knob as you get maximum efficiency that way.
Another observation is that, if handbrake is not fully engaged, depressing clutch will free the front wheels and vehicle can move slightly.

BTW he is getting a quite good milage in city like Pune 15.5 KMPL with 100% A/C :), will update about handbreak after first service which is due this week.

Well.. I dont quite agree with this being a problem with an individual car. One of the reasons I dropped buying this car is my experience with its hand brakes during my test drive. I had then assumed its a problem with the td car; however this thread more than confirmed that this is a universal problem (almost?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-my-i10-5.html

Ok Guys,
I think the following lines will answer all the queries.

First - about the problem.

agree: there is a Hand Brake related problem in some of the i10's in the market. I was also able to drive my car for 15-16 Kms (it just felt the same way as if AC is ON i.e. some loss of power), but more or less with hand brakes engaged, I WAS ABLE TO DRIVE COMFORTABLY.

Now, I read about this problem in my topic also mentioned by some other fellas and decided to get it checked during First Service.

When I told the service engineer about the above problem, it seemed to me that he was aware of the said problem. When I took my car after service, he had tightened the Hand Brake(I don't know how tight it should be but after service I was not able to lift it to the level I could lift before service).
But But But, problem was solved....cheers:

And now, no matter how hard I may try to accelerate with Hand Brakes ON, the car doesn't move even a cm.

I have never observed such a problem with my i10. with handbrakes on when I try accelerate the car does show a lot of resistance and I would easily identify the handbrake is engaged. As reported in this forum earlier there might have been some problems with few i10s out there.

Good to hear abt i10's mileage. I am getting 15kmpl in pune city with 50% AC(I am pretty new driver).

-Ravi

I am able to move a few feet with hand brake on in my i10. I have not tested it on roads. Anyway it is curable problem even if it persists.

I got 18.9 km/l in semi city driving with mostly A/c on but below 60 km speed.
But in highway I got 16 km/l in 80 km speed.

I have seen all other members have given more mileage on highway driving irrespective of brands.

Hi,
Last week i went Sanjay Hyundai, Pune for the first servicing of my i10 and they solved the problem of hand brake.

Milage update: i am getting 16/semi AC/City.
Amit