Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 20:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill

Don't know about Hyundai's - but Fiat vehicles are known for making a grinding sound when their front wheels are turned and the car is stationary - this was due to defective strut bearings , or elastic pads , as Fiat call them. The bearings become loose - I had this problem and it went away after replacing them.

Does the sound come when the car is stationary ?
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 21:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
It could be a problem with the PS pump - since you say the sound comes from lock to lock, and the steering feels tight/hard.
Also, at standstill, you may have the same symptoms.
Thank you for the response, It might be a problem with Power steering Pump. I'm curious to know one more thing, Is their any lubrication required for steering linkages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Don't know about Hyundai's - but Fiat vehicles are known for making a grinding sound when their front wheels are turned and the car is stationary - this was due to defective strut bearings , or elastic pads , as Fiat call them. The bearings become loose - I had this problem and it went away after replacing them.

Does the sound come when the car is stationary ?
Yes when car is Stationary, there is sound when turning the wheels. I also have doubts about bearings too.
Old 12th December 2014, 00:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ASG View Post
I'm curious to know one more thing, Is their any lubrication required for steering linkages?
Not ordinarily.

Quote:
Yes when car is Stationary, there is sound when turning the wheels. I also have doubts about bearings too.
If your shocker / strut assembly bearings have failed , the steering will turn very hard - at all speeds including stationary.
Noise from the bearing will appear at all positions of the wheel.
Usually the kind of noise you describe - as happening at steering lock is more indicative of pump failure. I would advise to get it checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks