Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2008, 20:19   #1
BHPian

Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill

Hi,

My NHC front wheels are making Krrrrrrrr metal sound (not loud, I can barely hear that) when I steer leftside or rightside on a standstill. When i checked about this with service technician, he told that the power steering problem started and I may need to replace the power steering components in future. Is this correct?. My NHC just clocked 18000 kms in 3 years. I want to cross check this problem with other mechanic. Can anybody suggest a mechanic/garage in Hyderabad to check this problem?.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by narasimha raju : 21st January 2008 at 20:21.
Old 21st January 2008, 22:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

The symptoms indicate problems in the power steering. I don't think one should get PS problems at 18K kms. (in any car).

But yes, one word of advice, I wouldn't steer any vehicle with power steering, when it is at standstill : this will stress the steering system components like crazy (of course, since it is POWER steering, the driver will not feel any of this). One should always steer only when the vehicle is moving. Even the slightest movement is enough to avoid building up this avoidable stress in the system. If there is no place to move the vehicle , then gently rock it by releasing and depressing the clutch, as you turn the steering. This will help.
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get your strut bearings checked. I had this problem recently on my Lancer. If the bearing(s) get worn out, this results in a "krr krr" sound while turning the steering... audible mainly while stationary.
Since they will have to open up the front suspension anyway, have them check the steering components as well... just in case.
All the best.
Old 22nd January 2008, 04:12   #4

hi this does sound like a dry joint normally when its power steering i/e pumps or leaks cousing low fluid you get a growling or howling or even belt slip. ive found for a short term fix to pierce the affending sides ball joint rubbers with a fine tipped pen knife scriber and pump engine oil into them with a small oil can you know, the ones with a thumb pump do this while jacked up so the oil gets right to the bottom of the ball hope this helps
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Two parts of a car I'd never apply quick fixes or DIY messing about to: brakes and steering.

At best, the outcome might be to do further damage and make the eventual repair a lot more expensive.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do get it cross-checked. But don't prolong the use.
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is not true provided the power steering is designed accordingly and appropriately to the effort required to turn the vehicles wheel.

Just to explain, everyone knows that power steering is assisted by the flow of fluid by the PS pump. The amount of flow provided by the pump depends on the vehicle engine speed (unless electric pump is used in which case ECU manages it). The pump is usually designed to provide adequate flow when the engine is idling which takes care of most of the tyre turning needs at standstill.

Going beyond standstill explanation, the pump provides much more fluid than necessary when the engine is running at faster speeds and to control this a pressure-relief valve is added inthe PS assembly.

Hope this clarifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
But yes, one word of advice, I wouldn't steer any vehicle with power steering, when it is at standstill : this will stress the steering system components like crazy (of course, since it is POWER steering, the driver will not feel any of this). One should always steer only when the vehicle is moving.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

I don't think fluids are used in EPS systems. Its all electric and controlled by electronic module. So does the NHC have a electro-hydraulic or pure electric steering ?

Last edited by srishiva : 22nd January 2008 at 11:06.
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Right, EPS uses an electric motor(No fluids) to provide directional control to the wheels.

In EPS too the sensors detect the motion and torque of the steering column and apply power accordingly using an electric motor. So no harm at standstill.

Though, the electric motor does put additional strain on the electrical system of the vehicle.

I am not sure what system is used in NHC, hydraulic or electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I don't think fluids are used in EPS systems. Its all electric and controlled by electronic module. So does the NHC have a electro-hydraulic or pure electric steering ?

Last edited by dadu : 22nd January 2008 at 11:50.
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is not true ......
Hope this clarifies.
dadu, I think you missed the point of my post : what I had said was with reference to the stress caused on the components when steering at standstill : not the effectiveness of the PS at idling speed . I hope it is clear now.
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:24   #11
BHPian

Thanks for your replies.

NHC has Electric Power Steering(EPS). It has electric motor to assist the steering. Can any BHPian from Hyderabad suggest a good garage to cross check this problem?.

Last edited by narasimha raju : 22nd January 2008 at 15:25.
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

I understood that, but if you look at my posts you will find that the PS assembly is designed to handle that kind of stress and steering can be used during standstill, if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
dadu, I think you missed the point of my post : what I had said was with reference to the stress caused on the components when steering at standstill : not the effectiveness of the PS at idling speed . I hope it is clear now.

Last edited by dadu : 22nd January 2008 at 16:02.
Old 23rd January 2008, 18:40   #13
BHPian

My 2 paise - Never hold the steering wheel in the extreme right or left position for more than a few seconds. This could damage the pump.
nura is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 20:37   #14
BHPian

Re: Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill

Hello experts,

My 2009 model Hyundai Santro is giving noise when steering wheel is turned in low speeds. The sound is producing only when we begin to turn steering from the center position & at the end of lock position. Feel like steering is tight in both positions, When car is running above 40 kmph everything is fine.
The sound is exactly like what is occurring when, the steering is turned to the full lock position with a good amount force(Ghat-Ghat sound).

The Power steering fluid is Full, There are no leakage in the system. I heard steering joints & linkages are to be lubricated, But over the past two years the steering linkages or joints are not serviced or lubricated. The car is sparingly used by my dad & the basic services are done by me with the help of neighborhood mechanic. The car is driven with utmost care & Run only 18K km so far.

What might the reason for the sound?
Old 11th December 2014, 20:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ASG View Post
Hello experts,
What might the reason for the sound?
It could be a problem with the PS pump - since you say the sound comes from lock to lock, and the steering feels tight/hard.
Also, at standstill, you may have the same symptoms.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks