Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2008, 02:25   #16
BHPian

Hey guys hold your horses. The engine sludge is nothing but old/burnt engine oil. Yes when you change the oil the engine gets better power and pick up. With regards to fuel as we use hi octain fuel this results in making the engine a bit more hot than it should get. So using a good quality oil is always adviced. You can try a semi-synth or synthetic oil as i understand that you dont drive fast you fly slow so pls check your oil regulary as this will help you to get the maximum from your ENGINE.
Old 8th February 2008, 02:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
but the high temp caused due to high octane fuels cause oil to burn and delevelop a sludge acc to him.
haha

Quote:
but do u guys think that normal unleaded fuel is better than high octanes?
Are you running a special high compression engine ? if yes then a higher Octane fuel is a must, for a stock unmodified car high Octane is of no use..
Old 8th February 2008, 09:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

amit - are you using synthetic oil? i think you should change you oil every 5k kms.
Old 8th February 2008, 09:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Amit, if you remember I had told you that higher octane fuels wont do much good & sticking to normal unleaded from a good repute pump does the job perfectly for engine.

Btw you seem to be gung ho on getting your car past 140kph
Old 8th February 2008, 11:24   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

They may not have changed the engine oil during the previous service.
Old 8th February 2008, 11:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check those years,man. 2003,2004.
If 91 octane creates sludge, then every alto(few lakhs of them) in the country should be sludged at 6,000 kms.
I think they didnt change your oil at the last "oil change".
And believe me you, sludge kills the engine.
dont know abt every alto man. but i am sure engine oil was changed at 20 k in front of me, shell MGO approved oil, also added STP oil suppliment.
but at 26k when my engine oil was drained it was rusty red in colour with whitish sludge in it. had no other option other than engine flush out.

Quote:
You can try a semi-synth or synthetic oil as i understand that you dont drive fast you fly slow so pls check your oil regulary as this will help you to get the maximum from your ENGINE.
i was planning to put it but it was late in eve and MUL had already put castrol with bardahl additive.
Quote:
amit - are you using synthetic oil? i think you should change you oil every 5k kms.
i am using normal engine oil till date. changing oil at every 5k? but mul and service manuals say change for 10 k

Quote:
Amit, if you remember I had told you that higher octane fuels wont do much good & sticking to normal unleaded from a good repute pump does the job perfectly for engine.

Btw you seem to be gung ho on getting your car past 140kph
ya it was just my belief that premium fuels are not much adultrated and normal fues have more adulteration , so i was using premium fuels.
140 was the only thing i could benchmark with other altos to show MUL people that something was wrong. else in city test drive they used to say everything is perfect. as u know i have suffered this problem since 6 months . now city driving is also a breeze.
Old 8th February 2008, 12:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

One terrible possibility

Quote:
but at 26k when my engine oil was drained it was rusty red in colour with whitish sludge in it. had no other option other than engine flush out.
Hopefully this is the additive. But another possibility is that you have a head gasket leak and coolant is getting into your motor oil. Have you noticed that you are losing any coolant? Does your motor oil seem watery? Do you see any white smoke coming out of your exhaust? If so you may have a small head gasket leak that will soon become big. I do not want to scare you put this is a logical possibility which fits your symtoms to an extent. This means a new head gasket and many rupees if this is what it is. In the back of my head I am wondering if the service manager is doing a song and dance number for you hoping that he can stall so he does not have to fix this thing under warranty. You might want to check for a head gasket leak with another independent mechanic who has nothing at stake.
Old 8th February 2008, 13:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
theMAG : They may not have changed the engine oil during the previous service.
Hopefully just this, and not a terrible possibility like what Dan mentioned.

Always remember to check the engine oil in your car, while you are still at the service station, before you take delivery of your car after a service/oil change. Just make sure they have done the oil-change.
Old 8th February 2008, 13:16   #24
BHPian

One more thing when was last time engine oil was changed in terms of time. Ideally it should be changed every 6 months , check if that period has been crossed.

Never heard that Speed/Power can create sludge in engine.
Old 8th February 2008, 13:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i am using normal engine oil till date. changing oil at every 5k? but mul and service manuals say change for 10 k
If you are using normal engine oil which maruti supplies change it every 5 k or 6 months.I have observed that these oils dont really last more than 5 thousand km and yeah its from personal experience.
Old 8th February 2008, 13:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
One more thing when was last time engine oil was changed in terms of time. Ideally it should be changed every 6 months , check if that period has been crossed.

Never heard that Speed/Power can create sludge in engine.
ya it had crossed 6-7 months.

my car is very new.no such thing as dan said. no gasket prob. no coolant consumption. its done just 27 k on the odo and is a maruti product. i dont think this was the issue
Old 8th February 2008, 14:36   #27
BHPian

But the ford and Honda guys say that the Additives in the higher octane clog the fuel supply to the engine....how true is that?
Old 8th February 2008, 15:34   #28
BHPian

You guys are scaring the crap out of me!!!

I go Speed only on my 9 mth 8K Km old Fiesta, thinking that would be good for the car.

Was I wrong?

I haven't noticed any performance problem, but I never exeeded 100Kph.
Old 8th February 2008, 22:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
But the ford and Honda guys say that the Additives in the higher octane clog the fuel supply to the engine....how true is that?
ya even the MUL people say so and there is a possibility of that happening due to sticky stuffs in additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
You guys are scaring the crap out of me!!!

I go Speed only on my 9 mth 8K Km old Fiesta, thinking that would be good for the car.

Was I wrong?

I haven't noticed any performance problem, but I never exeeded 100Kph.
u wont notice the problem soon. even i didnt face any such problem till my car was 15000 on the odo. it was then this problem started. and i suffered this till 26000 on the odo . now it has been sorted out and i think normal unleaded is better instead of paying more for fuel itself as well as the issues with car.
Old 8th February 2008, 23:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

I use only Shell Super or Speed. Getting scared now. Should I switch to normal petrol for my Getz?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks