Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2008, 23:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Can someone please clarify my doubt:
The engine volume is fixed.
You can fill x amount of oil in it.
If you drain the old oil and some (almost 200 ml as per post #1) of it remains inside.
How will you fill x amount of new oil.

Will your dip stick reading not show the excess oil level?
boss its not that engine oil is filled upto the brim. even though engine volume is fixed the oil quantity to be put is prescribed in manuals. there is always a min and max of the levels. also some safety margin is kept. so this 200 ml is accommodated easily.
Old 6th February 2009, 18:04   #17
BHPian

What is This brown goo ??

Hey friends, recently purchased a second hand ZEN, so took it to the MASS to change its engine oil and all such lubes. However when the mechanic opened up the head cover to adjust its tappet, I wa surprised to see some brown coloured goo covering the tappet cover and also the valve rockers. this came off on wiping with hand. On asking the mechanic, he said that this is "Carbon of Mobil" and is deposited if the mobil change period is too long. Now what to do ? is it harmful fot the engine ? also broached the edea of using engine flush but the mechanic and service manager said it is not advisable in old cars as "Engine sound will come out" -- most probably he means the engine will be noisier now I am in a fix how to remove these deposits. These must also be inside the engine oil chamber. Any help will be appreciated.

Ciao

Lifewater

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th February 2009 at 18:21. Reason: search please
Old 17th October 2009, 23:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

OWS 210 or ABRO ?

BTW ABRO comes in 443 and 887 ML packs , what quantity to use ?
Old 24th September 2010, 19:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

I did the engine flush at my 70K service some time back. Will share my experience with members over here.

I had a lot of doubts & questions regarding Engine Flush. Had read more negative things than positive on the net, however after lot of deliberations & some sound advice from some senior members on TIUG (Tata Indica Users' Group) decided to go for it come what may. Procedure followed for Engine Flush:
1. When the engine was warm, added the Engine Flush & cleaner 250ml (MOTOR -
Innen-Reiniger) by Wuerth India Ltd, throu the Engine Oil filler hole.
2. Ran the engine on idle for 20 mins. Before starting the engine the catalytic
convertor was removed
3. Removed the Oil drain plug & drained the oil mixed with cleaner. The mixture
was pitch dark but very thin (flowed like water). Refitted the drain plug.
4. Then poured lose engine oil (Servo make) @ 2 litres, without removing the old
oil filter.
5. Ran the engine on idle for 10 mins. The engine became quite hot, even the
radiator fan kicked in once.
6. Removed the Oil drain plug & drained the 2 litre loose oil.
7. Also removed the oil sump. It had few hardened particles & blackened layer of
oil.
8. Washed the sump with diesel, then with water & dried with compressed air.
9. Fitted it back with a new sump gasket, put the drain plug in place. Also
fitted the new oil filter (Purolator make).
10. Poured in 4 litres of fresh oil (20W40 Diesel Engine Oil - Castrol CRB -
With synthetic technology, API CH-4/ CF-4 specification.)

After @ 5K kms of running post engine flush I checked the oil dip stick & was pleasantly surprised to see the golden brownish colour of engine oil. Earlier the fresh oil used to turn dark after a running of few hundred kms.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 16:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Oil Flush - Best Procedure?

I plan to carry out engine flush during my next service. I plan to buy the flush myself. I would like to add the flush and drive the car to the MASS which is about 15min from my home. Is there any issue doing so. I can run with minimal load and low rpm and not rev the engine beyond 1500 rpm.

appreciate your responses.
Old 9th November 2012, 14:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

any feedback on the question I asked? Please revert on cons if any and the precautions I need to take care.
Old 9th November 2012, 20:52   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
2. Ran the engine on idle for 20 mins. Before starting the engine the catalytic
convertor was removed
The catalytic convertor was removed??? Are you sure, that thing is part of your exhaust system. On most cars that's not a simple 5 minutes job. Besides why would you want to do? Unless the flush fluid contains anything that will negatively affect the catalytic convertor.

Jeroen
Old 9th November 2012, 21:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
any feedback on the question I asked? Please revert on cons if any and the precautions I need to take care.
I am not a big believer in these flushes, unless you know that the car hasn't had a decent oil change for a long time. With normal maintenance there really shouldn't be a need for this.

I would never blow compressed air into the engine via the dip stick tube. Engines are designed to have some overpressure in the crank case, but depending on the pressure/amount you blow in, you could damage your crank shaft seals.

Also, the drain plug on your sump is supposed to be the lowest point. As long as you make sure the oil is at working temperature before you start draining it, gravity will do the rest. I don't understand how blowing air would get more dirty oil out. Blowing air, would if anything result in it spreading dirty oil all over the engine inner parts. Why would it only go down the drain?

If I would suspect an engine of not having had any good regular maintenance, I would drain the oil and remove the sump and clean the sump. Much safer and much more effective. Admittedly, on not all cars/engines it's possible to remove the sump without taking the engine out, or at least lifting it partially..
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 21:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The catalytic convertor was removed??? Are you sure, that thing is part of your exhaust system. On most cars that's not a simple 5 minutes job. Besides why would you want to do? Unless the flush fluid contains anything that will negatively affect the catalytic convertor.

Jeroen
I am not so sure why it was removed, but the probable reason could be that due to the flushing, lot of carbon deposits would become loose & would be exhausted. I think the exhaust muffler was cut open to remove the CC. Once the CC was removed, it was then welded back in place. Now my exhaust manofold is without the CC

Though the picture is not very clear, it shows the partially choked up CC.

Best Oil Flush - Best Procedure?-5cat-converter-element-sideways.jpg

Best Oil Flush - Best Procedure?-6cat-converter-element-grid.jpg
Old 9th November 2012, 21:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If I would suspect an engine of not having had any good regular maintenance, I would drain the oil and remove the sump and clean the sump. Much safer and much more effective. Admittedly, on not all cars/engines it's possible to remove the sump without taking the engine out, or at least lifting it partially..Jeroen
During my engine flushing the mechanic had removed the sump to clean it and there were lumps of carbon deposits in it. It was cleaned thoroughly with diesel & then dried by blowing compressed air

Few pictures of my oil sump removed for cleaning (excuse me for the poor quality of pictures)

Best Oil Flush - Best Procedure?-2oil-sump.jpg

Best Oil Flush - Best Procedure?-3oil-sump-gasket.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 21:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, well at least we agree it wasn't a five minute job, what with the cutting and welding. That's pretty drastic!

When I look at the photographs, I don't think you have any problems with your oil as such.

When your CC ends up looking like that, it's usually a either a problem with the ignition or with your piston rings.

Your CC is blocked because the combustion is not optimal. Resulting in a lot of unburned particle that clog up the CC. Or, possible, you have a problem with your pistion rings (does your car uses a lot of oil?). Oil gets on top of the piston and burns partially and clogs up your CC. Could be valve seals too, but usually that affect is much smaller than piston rings going bad.

If you add something to your oil, which loosens up particles that end up in your exhaust/CC you have a problem with your piston rings. Because it shouldn't end up there in the first place!!

Jeroen
Old 9th November 2012, 22:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I would like to add the flush and drive the car to the MASS which is about 15min from my home. Is there any issue doing so. I can run with minimal load and low rpm and not rev the engine beyond 1500 rpm.appreciate your responses.
I suggest flushing with the same grade of engine oil and then refilling. You can rest assured that no harm will be done. Only point is that never flush with diesel or any such thing as is practiced by local mechanics.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Jeroen/Rajeev - thanks for your response but my core question has not been answered.

The suggested method of flushing is add flush to the engine oil, run for 15 min on idle and then drain the oil and follow the oil filter/oil change process.

My question is - I would like to add the flush and drive the car to the MASS which is about 15min from my home. Is there any issue doing so. I can run with minimal load and low rpm and not rev the engine beyond 1500 rpm.

DF
Old 14th November 2012, 10:06   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan
Jeroen/Rajeev - thanks for your response but my core question has not been answered.

The suggested method of flushing is add flush to the engine oil, run for 15 min on idle and then drain the oil and follow the oil filter/oil change process.

My question is - I would like to add the flush and drive the car to the MASS which is about 15min from my home. Is there any issue doing so. I can run with minimal load and low rpm and not rev the engine beyond 1500 rpm.

DF
You can do that, although it's a bit risky. Remember that the flush is like a detergent. It removes gunk and it makes the engine oil a lot thinner. The oil loses some of its lubrication properties. Running it on idle with no load is preferred. Every few minutes you should increase the rpm gradually for a few seconds. This is the ideal way.

Once you put the flush, the engine note becomes very coarse and sounds very bad.
Old 19th November 2012, 14:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

I did use the above method that I was seeking clarification on. Added the flush at home and drove to MASS maintaining low engine RPM (around 1500).I reached MASS in 15 min and then for next 5 min I ran idle at 2000 RPM and then gave my car for servicing. Now the engine seems to be smooth and performance is a notch above than before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks