Team-BHP - Hissing noise and Smoke (Vapor) when Ac switches on
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Hissing noise and Smoke (Vapor) when Ac switches on (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/35944-hissing-noise-smoke-vapor-when-ac-switches.html)

Hi,

I have a 2005 model Esteem Vxi. Recently what i have observed is that when i switch on the ac, there is a hissing noise heard from the passenger side ac vent. This noise is heard for a brief period. Then when the ac auto switches on, the hissing noise is heard again. Sometimes, it is sometimes only that i see white smoke like stuff coming out from the ac vent which is in center but nearer to steering wheel. It is odourless smoke.

Any reasons why this could be happening?

~cheers
itamnas

Quote:

It is odourless smoke.
Could be water vapours. Do you see it everytime or just when you start the car after long? Say first time in the morning?

HI,this hissing noise is because of low level of refrigerant, getting the gas topped up will eliminate this noise.As far as the white smoke like thing which u have mentioned ,you will have to give some more info. (1) how many kilometers has your car done. (2)did u get your A/C system serviced after buying the car.(3)this smoke comes after how many kilometers of continuous driving.(4)have u noticed that when this happens is your window glass fully closed. If these informations are provided then it can be diagonised precisely.:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by itamnas (Post 733185)
Hi,

I have a 2005 model Esteem Vxi. Recently what i have observed is that when i switch on the ac, there is a hissing noise heard from the passenger side ac vent. This noise is heard for a brief period. Then when the ac auto switches on, the hissing noise is heard again. Sometimes, it is sometimes only that i see white smoke like stuff coming out from the ac vent which is in center but nearer to steering wheel. It is odourless smoke.

Any reasons why this could be happening?

~cheers
itamnas

Looks like gas leak. Take it to the service station immediately. Else, expect a big burst of "white smoke" anytime while driving.

Time to get the AC System Serviced, This problem usually comes when the gas level is low, You can also notice the same effect in Home AC's when the Gas is low.

Suggest, You service the system- at the same time also, Have Compressed Air Blown into the Vents, Or get them cleaned if you can, Remove the Cooling Coil-Clean it up and Also suggest that Get the Condenser Unit-washed and cleaned with Soap.

Thanks guys for the responses. I will ge it checked within this week

Alankarmotor, below is the answers to your questions.

(1) how many kilometers has your car done.
(2)did u get your A/C system serviced after buying the car.
Yes.
(3)this smoke comes after how many kilometers of continuous driving.
Minimum of four kms.
(4)have u noticed that when this happens is ur window glass fully closed.
When ac is on, the windows are always shut :)

~cheers
itamnas

I usually notice this smoke as soon as I drive after a waterwash with A/C ON. Some times used to get it while driving on the beach road in the evenings around 4 or 5 PM. So..like someone said, this odorless smoke should be water vapor. I guess nothing to worry about this smoke thing. But do get ur A/C checked for the hissing noise.

P.S. I do get this hissing noise in my window A/C at home..and the technician said it was due to the gas getting pumped at high pressure into those small tubes.

Any idea how much does it cost to top-off the A.C Gas? Is it different for different cars?

The smoke is nothing but super cooled air meeting warm/hot air and the mist formation where they both meet. Means compressor is doing its job.

You can see the same effect when you open the freezer door of your refrigerator on a warm day.

Slight hissing noise can be seen in all car A/c's when the compressor starts and the gas starts filling up the cooling coils, nothing much to worry unless your cooling is not efficient enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 781773)
The smoke is nothing but super cooled air meeting warm/hot air and the mist formation where they both meet. Means compressor is doing its job.

You can see the same effect when you open the freezer door of your refrigerator on a warm day.

Slight hissing noise can be seen in all car A/c's when the compressor starts and the gas starts filling up the cooling coils, nothing much to worry unless your cooling is not efficient enough.

I think Dadu is quite correct. If your A/C is performing well all the rest of what you describe is normal.

Dadu is spot on but check gas level also.

Got it checked with the maruti folks. AC is working fine. Thanks all :)

Hi,
I have observed Vapors :Shockked:coming out of my Swift VXi's AC Vents (in front dash) 3-4 times in the last 2 months.
Though this behavior is kinda inconsistent, as I went to Automotive, Nashik MASS & tried reproducing same in front of them but to no success.
Then again, while I was driving down Nashik - Pune highway, when I came across this issue again. So I immediately switched th AC off. That action worsen my journey, as it was raining cats & dogs on that very day & I can't drive with full visibility due to fog on windscreen.

Did someone here observed same ?
Can I have your comments as to what would be the root cause for this & also what's the resolution ?

Thanks,
siddhu

Please use search tab, you will be surprised at the knowledge base we have built up on smoke's :)

Siddhu, the first time I noticed it even I thought something was wrong with my car, but then I noticed the same in our other car, then third car as well.

It actually has some relationship to moisture in environment. When it is raining or post rain, its common to have vapours out of AC vents.