Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2008, 11:15   #1
bkm
BHPian

Restarting a car engine which is already "ON'

Chevy spark engine is so noiseless that thrice 3/4 times it happened on new spark that my relative tried to restart the engine which was already on . There was Khssssss sound .It happened due to chaotic situation created as my car engine became off apparently and there was traffic jam behind my car.
What are the implications of inadvertently restarting a already 'on' engine? and whether 2/3 times doing so would have caused any harm? i am technically not good so am I asking.
Old 26th February 2008, 12:30   #2
BHPian

hi bkm.
welcome to the world of "silent" engines.

Read this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...my-esteem.html

Even I faced this same problem. But with time I was able to get over this issue. AFAIK, torturing the engine once in a while is not that harmful(provided this does not become a regular habit )

Regards,
Old 26th February 2008, 13:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

i have been planning to ask this question myself. i remember reading in my car manual (laura) that "restart" when engine is already running will be ignored by the computer. in fact, when the engine stalls, i have to turn the key in to OFF position and only then turning on will work. but i have never tried to restart when the engine is running as there is enough diesel engine noise :-)
Old 26th February 2008, 13:18   #4
BHPian

you'll be looking at buying a new starter motor sooner than you think!

if you have a tacho sneak a peak before u turn the ignition key....... has happened to me on a couple of occasions.
Old 26th February 2008, 13:30   #5
BHPian

Some cars Do have in built protection against accidental cranking, while the engine is running, Like in a fiat palio. I do not think u can retrofit this at a later stage.And i guess accidental cranking can cause excessive wear to your starter motor.
Old 26th February 2008, 13:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Starter ring gear/solenoid actuator damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
What are the implications of inadvertently restarting a already 'on' engine? and whether 2/3 times doing so would have caused any harm? ...
This could result in starter-motor ring gear (not the starte motor itself) damage and also potentially damage the solenoid actuator which causes the starter motor to engage with the ring gear. The "kkkrrrrrrr" noise that you hear is the ring gear and starter motor gear trying to engage at high speeds. They are designed to engage only at low speeds.
Old 26th February 2008, 13:44   #7
BHPian

Spark engine is super silent... I did the same thing (restart ) when I took a TD on spark, and two other customer also did the same thing in front of me !! U can't make out its running.
Make it a habit to trun the key to off position and start again ( if you are in doubt)
Old 26th February 2008, 13:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

By doing so you will be causing starter problems.
Old 26th February 2008, 14:00   #9
BANNED

No harms only the gears of starter motor and engines fly wheel gears(where starter rotates the engine) will go off soon.
Old 26th February 2008, 14:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Everybody install free flow mufflers and you won't crank the aleady running engine

But realistically speaking how hard is it for the manufacturers to built-in a anti crank system into their ECUs to prevent accidental cranking of the starter motor? I don't think it is that difficult.

And if you think hard enough you can already come up with a system that can be made to retrofit into the engines without such a facility. It's about adding a relay to the circuit. The relay can be triggered by a circuit which will have an on/off state (or carry/not carry current) depending on status of the engine.
Old 26th February 2008, 15:55   #11
BHPian

How come I never had this problem in my Safari 3.0?
--- Rolling on the floor laughing like a mad man ------
Old 26th February 2008, 15:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Everybody install free flow mufflers and you won't crank the aleady running engine
thats a good one...get the free flows installed and keep the windows down all time..

U should be ok as long as it doesnt becomes a habit..or or pretty soon u will have to be replacing the starter..

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th February 2008 at 09:36. Reason: Please use edit button if posting within 15 mins of 1st post
Old 26th February 2008, 16:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
--- Rolling on the floor laughing like a mad man ------
ROTFLLAMM....

Dicor must be having it inbuilt in the ECU.
Old 26th February 2008, 16:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you have a tacho, you could probably check its readings. If it is anywhere b'ween 800 and 1k, your engine is on and you are idling. No need to crank your engine again.
Old 26th February 2008, 16:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
If you have a tacho, you could probably check its readings. If it is anywhere b'ween 800 and 1k, your engine is on and you are idling. No need to crank your engine again.
If it is anywhere above 0, the engine is on

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 26th February 2008 at 16:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks