Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 11:57   #1
BHPian

My Experiences with a Scorpio 2.6 (Non CRDE) and some Technical Questions

Hi all,
It's great to be here. This site has been like a hidden Gem for me, just discovered 2 days back. I have spent hrs browsing through this site now.

I have a Green Scorpio 2.6 DX Sept, 2003 (Non CRDE, Chain Drive SZ2600 PLUS Engine). This is the first new Vehicle i bought in my life. Before that my first car was a Contessa Classic and my second car was a Cielo, both second hand.

Ive had a love hate relationship with the Scorpio for the last 4.5 Yrs. It's done around 48000 Kms, and mostly on the highways, and the hills. It's done the Simla Lahaul Spiti, Manali Circuit. It's done the Manali - Leh route, and it's done the steep Jalori Pass.

I have a few minor issues for which i'm looking for answers.

1. My Vehicle has done 48000 KMS on Original Tyres (Bridgestone Dueller with Tubes). After i cross changed the tyres at around 40,000 kms the Scorpio started giving a vibration onto the Stearing at high speed (Over 90). I have got the Wheels Balanced from 3 places but the problem persisits. Ive been told by some people that the only solution would be to change the tyres. My tyres still have enought tread for another 30000 kms and i'm not going to change them till they wear out. Will i have to live with this Vibration ??

2. Since the begining i have noticed that When the Ac Cooling Knob is turned to less than full cooling, the rear vents start to blow out warm air, whereas the front ones are still blowing out cool air. I asked a mechanic and he told me that this was normal, and the best way is to leave the cooling to full always, as it uses the curtains system. Is this behaviour normal.

3. The Speed Needle of the Speedometer has started Vibrating at all speeds over 50. My Meter had the Manual KM Counters not the Electronic ones. The Fuel Meter shows a false reading (more fuel, specially when the needle is near the E) when the vehicle is cold and after a couple of minutes of driving the needle falls back. Will i have to get the complete console changed to sort out these problems. And will the Millage in the new meter be reset to 0 in that case ? I don't want that to happen.

I love the scorpio a lot because the Engine is becoming smoother by the day, it's really powerful and has not had any major issues.

I've had some small quality Control issues regularly, but most of them got sorted out in the Warranty Period in the first 2 yrs itself. I would not like to list them here, because it's better to talk of the accomplishments of your child than his faults...Right !!

Here's a picture of my scorpio stuck in snow in the mountains last March. And some pictures of some heavenly places my scorpio has been to.

Styler
Attached Thumbnails
My Experiences with a Scorpio 2.6 (Non CRDE) and some Technical Questions-jana9.jpg  

My Experiences with a Scorpio 2.6 (Non CRDE) and some Technical Questions-jana12.jpg  

My Experiences with a Scorpio 2.6 (Non CRDE) and some Technical Questions-scorpiosnow.jpg  

Old 26th March 2008, 17:01   #2
BHPian

Since there seems no way to edit the previous post. I'm adding the querry that i forgot there.

My Scorpio (Non CRDE) has Tyre size 235/75/R15. When i eventually plan to change my tyres can we fit the bigger 235/70/R16 Tyres on this vehicle. If yes what needs to be done to accomplish this ?

What Tyres would the experts here recommend for me considering that i do a lot of mountain and offroad driving.

One Choice would be to go in for Michellen Tubeless Tyres. Are these available for the Scorpio and does anybody have any experience with these?
Old 26th March 2008, 17:19   #3
BHPian

Hi Styler,

Just a few thoughts -

1. For the wobble you might also want to get the rims checked as if there is a dent it might lead to a wobble especially at high speeds. My Scorpio had the same issue

2. For the speedometer cable the only option is to change the same and this is a quality issue as I have changed this about 4 times by now!!!

I have the Michelin tubless AT on my Scorpio but have not upsized them. I have used them for abt 6k km am happy with these. I have used them for off roading as well and these do have a better grip then the regular Bridgestones. You might also want to try out the Yokohomas as well.

As regards upsizing you can check out this website Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Rgds
Old 26th March 2008, 18:53   #4
BHPian

Hi,
Thanks your post was helpful.

1. For the wobble you might also want to get the rims checked as if there is a dent it might lead to a wobble especially at high speeds. My Scorpio had the same issue

So what Sorted it eventually - Changing the Tyres or repairing the Rims ?

2. For the speedometer cable the only option is to change the same and this is a quality issue as I have changed this about 4 times by now!!!

Oh so it's not a problem with the meter itself, it's a problem with the Cable ??

I have the Michelin tubless AT on my Scorpio but have not upsized them. I have used them for abt 6k km am happy with these. I have used them for off roading as well and these do have a better grip then the regular Bridgestones. You might also want to try out the Yokohomas as well.
As regards upsizing you can check out this website Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

I think i will also be going in for the factory size Michelin Tubeless....

Thanks

Styler
Old 27th March 2008, 06:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

All scorpios including the recent ones come with these Bridgstone Dueller H/T stock tyres. Mine have lasted till now with the odo reading 67K and are still good for another 10K.

I would be going in for the Goodyear Wrangler A/T when I change. Will give you the tyre size later as it is not the stock specification. I do not know if you have alloys or steel rims; if they are steel, then look out for dent etc., on them as they can result in vibration. What is the tread pattern on your tyres? Have you tried changing the face of the tyres inside out. This might solve your problem.

The answer to your query on aircon is no. Atleast I've not experienced this. You may like to have a second opinion on this. The speedo cable seems to be frayed hence the needle vibration. Diesel is denser when cold, that's why the fuel needle shows more. The new meter reading can be set to whatever you want. Indians are very capable in doing this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi all,

I have a few minor issues for which i'm looking for answers.

1. My Vehicle has done 48000 KMS on Original Tyres (Bridgestone Dueller with Tubes). After i cross changed the tyres at around 40,000 kms the Scorpio started giving a vibration onto the Stearing at high speed (Over 90). I have got the Wheels Balanced from 3 places but the problem persisits. Ive been told by some people that the only solution would be to change the tyres. My tyres still have enought tread for another 30000 kms and i'm not going to change them till they wear out. Will i have to live with this Vibration ??

2. Since the begining i have noticed that When the Ac Cooling Knob is turned to less than full cooling, the rear vents start to blow out warm air, whereas the front ones are still blowing out cool air. I asked a mechanic and he told me that this was normal, and the best way is to leave the cooling to full always, as it uses the curtains system. Is this behaviour normal.

3. The Speed Needle of the Speedometer has started Vibrating at all speeds over 50. My Meter had the Manual KM Counters not the Electronic ones. The Fuel Meter shows a false reading (more fuel, specially when the needle is near the E) when the vehicle is cold and after a couple of minutes of driving the needle falls back. Will i have to get the complete console changed to sort out these problems. And will the Millage in the new meter be reset to 0 in that case ? I don't want that to happen.

I love the scorpio a lot because the Engine is becoming smoother by the day, it's really powerful and has not had any major issues.

I've had some small quality Control issues regularly, but most of them got sorted out in the Warranty Period in the first 2 yrs itself. I would not like to list them here, because it's better to talk of the accomplishments of your child than his faults...Right !!

Here's a picture of my scorpio stuck in snow in the mountains last March. And some pictures of some heavenly places my scorpio has been to.

Styler
Old 27th March 2008, 08:55   #6
BHPian

If the rims have dents it shows in balancing...and styler has said that he has got them done several times...

@ Hey Styler, welcome to T-bhp..I hope you remember me

Did you get it done through computerized balancing ? Did you check it yourself ?
Old 27th March 2008, 09:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
All scorpios including the recent ones come with these Bridgstone Dueller H/T stock tyres. Mine have lasted till now with the odo reading 67K and are still good for another 10K.

I would be going in for the Goodyear Wrangler A/T when I change. Will give you the tyre size later as it is not the stock specification. I do not know if you have alloys or steel rims; if they are steel, then look out for dent etc., on them as they can result in vibration. What is the tread pattern on your tyres? Have you tried changing the face of the tyres inside out. This might solve your problem.

The answer to your query on aircon is no. Atleast I've not experienced this. You may like to have a second opinion on this. The speedo cable seems to be frayed hence the needle vibration. Diesel is denser when cold, that's why the fuel needle shows more. The new meter reading can be set to whatever you want. Indians are very capable in doing this..
About the AC, i meant if we leave the Thermostat Knob (On the Left) to less than full cooling (not the fan speed) the rear vent blows out warm air.
I will get a second opinion on this.

About the Speedo, thank got it would just be a speedometer cable. I didn't want to change the complete Spedometer.

Thanks for all your help

Styler
As for my Tyres, they are the stock Bridgestone Dueller, and have enough tread to last 30000 kms more. It's just the wobble which is troubling. I will try to do what you all have advised. But i've noticed as time is passing and the tyres are adjusting to the new positions, the wabble is decreasing.
Old 25th May 2008, 16:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
If the rims have dents it shows in balancing...and styler has said that he has got them done several times...

@ Hey Styler, welcome to T-bhp..I hope you remember me

Did you get it done through computerized balancing ? Did you check it yourself ?
Hi Shashank,

I sure do remember you from the Indiamike meet up.

I remember seing you at a foodie site also...what is the name of a foodie site that you frequent ?

I get my wheels balanced at a local guy, but now i'm getting a feeling that his machine is not accurate.

Anybody know of a good and reliable place in Delhi to get Wheels Balanced ?

Is there a Bridgestone Company Service Center in Delhi ??

Styler
Old 26th May 2008, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Visit this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...y-scorpio.html for some answers..

Go to Anil Tyre alignment services located at the HP petrol pump just after Ansal Plaza near andrews ganj on the Siri Fort Road. He is the best as far as tyre alignment/balancing is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Since there seems no way to edit the previous post. I'm adding the querry that i forgot there.

My Scorpio (Non CRDE) has Tyre size 235/75/R15. When i eventually plan to change my tyres can we fit the bigger 235/70/R16 Tyres on this vehicle. If yes what needs to be done to accomplish this ?

What Tyres would the experts here recommend for me considering that i do a lot of mountain and offroad driving.

One Choice would be to go in for Michellen Tubeless Tyres. Are these available for the Scorpio and does anybody have any experience with these?

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th May 2008 at 12:20.
Old 26th May 2008, 13:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

I get Wheel balancing etc.,done from Tyre Shoppe noida. They have a rim straightening machine too, and I have paid countless visits to the same after Himalayan (mis)adverntures.
If Noida is close to your circuit, then this is the place to go. They are very professional, and take your car on a test drive after alignment/balacing etc., to check for vibrations.

If it is a tire issue, the company will replace tires under warranty.
Old 13th July 2008, 17:33   #11
BHPian

In the meantime, i found a good person to do Wheel Balancing. He found fault in one of the Front Tyres and shifted it back. And after the balancing the vibration has gone for now.
Thanks GD1418, tsk1979 .
I will try the Sri Fort road next time, it's closer.
Old 13th November 2008, 01:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i was just going through K&N website and i found this:

they have listed mahindra and maruti suzuki in their filter search.

My Experiences with a Scorpio 2.6 (Non CRDE) and some Technical Questions-kn.jpg

And can i install this filter(recommended by k&n) in my scorpio(non-crde)?
E-2984 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

pour in your views.

PS: especially BEHRAM sir.
Old 13th November 2008, 11:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Visually and dimensionally it looks the same as the OEM filter. I don't see any reason why can't you use this. I would've but I've Green Cotton thunderstorm installed...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
And can i install this filter(recommended by k&n) in my scorpio(non-crde)?
E-2984 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

pour in your views.

PS: especially BEHRAM sir.
Old 13th November 2008, 11:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the input gd sir. please let me know the price of the green cotton thunderstorm filter (any links would also do good).
Old 13th November 2008, 12:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Please visit - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...orpio-glx.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
thanks for the input gd sir. please let me know the price of the green cotton thunderstorm filter (any links would also do good).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks