Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 15:12   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Too bad for folks who have bought optra. Now they would not be able to drive on most Indian roads :-).
Hi, Cant the existing users fabricate a custom shield to protect the sump to minimise the damage and continue to use the car on most Indian Roads? May be a boycott of this car will teach GM a lesson to re-call and rectify this error.

Ps. would it also be cost effective to fabricatre a custom sump?

Cheers
Old 24th August 2009, 15:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
A misplaced notion Logan has exactly same problem of low sump
It has a sump guard doesn't it? Mine came with one.

Design deficiency or not - while driving, the highest part of the road obstacle should be pass your tyres and not in between them.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
It has a sump guard doesn't it? Mine came with one.

Design deficiency or not - while driving, the highest part of the road obstacle should be pass your tyres and not in between them.
As per the Meru cab driver engine guard does not cover sump fully and few of his colleagues had cracked sumps and such damages have to be born by drivers. Meru charges 1800 Rs from drivers per day and assures the business to driver. Company pays for regular service and wear / tear but such damages are on the drivers.

I did not peep under the body to verify or cross verified the meru busniess model so please excuse if it is not correct.

The road obstacle was like a step 5 - 6 inch high ( newly layed concrete road meeting old road) so once both tires are down it is bound to scrape the under body in middle.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:13   #34

One of the reasons I had raised the issue is that it is a well known fact that GM shoe honed the bigger VM engine into the optra engine bay and due to which the sump does a peekey below the guard. If you look below the petrol optra the sump is not easily noticed as it is quite high up. Hence knowing that the sump would protrude as it was a bigger engine they were using and heavier at that(hence the harder rebound when coming down a speed breaker)they should have added a proper guard. I did hit the speedbreaker hence it is my fault, but in any other car i would have simply scrapped with an unearthly screech here i bang, because the front scrapes nicely because of the tow hook, then comes down and then comes short against the sump which physically obstructs having no slope.
Anyway, still my favourite car, its still a stonker and still love it. So now I know she is a lady and she has to be treated as such. As they say in Bombay/Pune "algat nyeycha tila". I hope the marathi is correct..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks