Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 13:02   #1

Oil Sump In Optra Magnum-Design Flaw

Hi

Yesterday while driving from Hassan enroute to Bangalore, my brand new magnum went over a uneven speed breaker. The front being low scrapped lightly but after a milisecond or so, there was a large thud. Was very surprised and shocked. Got down and noticed that there was a chunk of metal gone from the oil sump. Also noticed that the negine guard does not cover the engine. It is also an inch higher than the oil sump which happens to be the lowest portion in the car.
When written to GM about this design fault, they callously ignored the letter and told me to pay for it-10000K.
The best part was on the same day there were 2 more magnums in Vijai Motors with the same issue.
Dont know what to do, this looks like a recurring problem and GM is least bothered. Had a harrowing time, used chewing gum for lack of materials to plug the hole till I reached Bangalore.
I have attached pictures of my car and the other white car which had the same problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Sump In Optra Magnum-Design Flaw-08042008.jpg  

Oil Sump In Optra Magnum-Design Flaw-08042008002.jpg  

Oil Sump In Optra Magnum-Design Flaw-08042008004.jpg  

Old 9th April 2008, 13:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Scary. How high was the speed breaker ? Or - what's the GC at the oil-sump ?

Would have been good if the 3rd pic above was clearer. Would be able to get one ?

Looks like it would be good if you can get a custom made skid-plate, a-la Samurai.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

They have their Corporate office in Gurgaon write to them.

Quote:
General Motors India Sixth Floor, Tower-'A' Global Business Park Mehrauli-Gurgaon Road Gurgaon-122 002 Haryana
If its a design flaw which it seems, they should correct it. If gurgaon ppl dont listen, write to their US HQ.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Holy c*&%! Just how high was the obstacle? Was something protruding from the speed breaker? This is a SERIOUS design flaw! I'll have to be extra careful from now on. Am going to the A.S.S sometime this week. Will put the car on a lift and have a look-see and think about a solution.
Old 9th April 2008, 15:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

maybe we can redesign it- like how samurai did a custom plate for the GV. something for the magnum. I suspect its the same design for the optra petrol - however, diesel needing a larger sump would have protruded withouth their knowledge.

they might be trying to wash their hands off - so that it then does not get covered under warranty.
Old 9th April 2008, 15:26   #6
BHPian

Hell ya!! This is serious. I have driven over pretty bad roads in Delhi & Gurgaon and the magnum ate all the bumps with aplomb. This is surprising.

Well too late in the day for me - have booked the LS in Blazing Red. Will cross my fingers & toes going over bumps from now on
Old 9th April 2008, 17:13   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the oil sump is the lowest exposed part of a car, that is bad news. I am glad you noticed the leak and prevented a potential engine seize!

Quote:
The best part was on the same day there were 2 more magnums in Vijai Motors with the same issue.
If this is true, GM India better pull their socks up and make good to existing owners.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If the oil sump is the lowest exposed part of a car, that is bad news. I am glad you noticed the leak and prevented a potential engine seize!

If this is true, GM India better pull their socks up and make good to existing owners.

well i do agree with this, i have had quite a few scrapes to the metal sheet that guards my oil sump in my accent viva crdi, this sheet actually saved my sump being scraped, just makes me wonder how GM can do this to its premium sedan they offer, even my viva a small notch back gets a metal sheet protecting the engine sump, and this is not provided on a magnum? i have heard similar story on a fiesta where in the oil filter is located too low and the metal sheet if bought from ford does not cover it! i am sorry for you buddy, just drive carefully here on. Imo the GM might just not accept their design flaw for now!
Old 9th April 2008, 18:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

My colleague had a Dsl Octavia which had exactly the same problem. He hit a pothole on Mangalore-Bangalore road and the oil sump took the hit. Looks like these problems are not taken care of by the manufacturers.

I think you should take this issue up with GM directly and see if they can help you here.
Old 9th April 2008, 18:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
maybe we can redesign it- like how samurai did a custom plate for the GV. something for the magnum. I suspect its the same design for the optra petrol - however, diesel needing a larger sump would have protruded withouth their knowledge.

they might be trying to wash their hands off - so that it then does not get covered under warranty.
Dont think that logic will work as this will further lower its GC.
Old 10th April 2008, 09:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

GM is constantly advertising its 3 yr/100000 km warranty or recently `3 year service holiday'. The tag line is `only fuel costs, no other expenses'. Take up GM strongly on this commitment. A brand new Magnum should not have this problem. However, manufacturers (not only GM) can say that driver was at fault, and this is not premature defect, and hence not covered under warranty.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
jkdas : Dont think that logic will work as this will further lower its GC.
Rather have a GC reduced by the thickness of a plate/shield than a sump that's devoid of oil. A plate like what Samurai used is about 6mm thick. Even if the GC is reduced by the thickness of the plate/shield, it's better that this shield take the brunt of any scrapes, than the oil-sump itself.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Rather have a GC reduced by the thickness of a plate/shield than a sump that's devoid of oil. A plate like what Samurai used is about 6mm thick. Even if the GC is reduced by the thickness of the plate/shield, it's better that this shield take the brunt of any scrapes, than the oil-sump itself.
Yes precisely. Even though the GC is reduced the sump would be safe.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:03   #14
BHPian

Team-bhp is great. My close friend was supposed to go for Magnum. I forwarded this thread to him. Now he scared
Old 15th April 2008, 12:53   #15

Hi Guys

Thanks for the wonderful feedback and empathy. Currently as usual GM is out of spare Oil sump and have used m seal to bandage it. After writing to them on their published email id, I got a dim wit answer saying that it has been caused by 'extraneous circumstances'. They have skirted the issue about the GC and why the engine guard does not cover the engine. Its a 10k fatka.

Pavan, please dont dissuade your friend from buying the vehicle, its still the best and still is a blast to drive. Its just that you have to be very very careful on potholes and on un even speedbreakers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks