Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Yes, sir. Probably a good idea but I burnt my fingers in other business, so I shy away.
I still feel you can go ahead and try this as there will be many buyers like me. Furtehr still, you can put a poll here in this foruma nd check how many people want to buy this kind of equipment. You sure will receive a overwhelming response.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:15   #17
BHPian

Point I'm making is not necessarily for legislation but manufacturer initiative. After all, they've introduced safety tech like ABS, airbags, auto-unlocking doors, telescopic steering columns, side impact bars, non-submarining seats etc. without Government intervention.

I see the dipping problem as one of indifference, lack of education, or just bone laziness. If a car were fitted with a dipper, it would beat all 3 by taking the work out of it. Then, if most cars on the roads had them, the issue would simply vanish.

Last edited by netchef : 10th April 2008 at 15:30.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I still feel you can go ahead and try this as there will be many buyers like me. Furtehr still, you can put a poll here in this foruma nd check how many people want to buy this kind of equipment. You sure will receive a overwhelming response.
Thanks, sir. That's reassuring. If someone were keen to go the route, I'd simply sell them dad's design and rights and give him the money (and the pleasure of knowing all that effort was not in vain).
Old 10th April 2008, 15:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Point I'm making is not necessarily for legislation but manufacturer initiative. After all, they've introduced safety tech like ABS, airbags, auto-unlocking doors, telescopic steering columns, side impact bars, non-submarining seats etc. without Government intervention.

I see the dipping problem as one of indifference, lack of education, or just bone laziness. If a car were fitted with a dipper, it would beat all 3 by taking the wrok out of it. Then, if most cars on the roads had them, the issue would simply vanish.

Airbag? How many wear seat belt to make it function in the right way?

Making it mandatory will make a new business; unlocking it!
Old 10th April 2008, 15:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

True (both). This will fall under passive safety systems like the telescoping steering column or side impact bars.
Old 10th April 2008, 16:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

I wish if we have some technology to wear sunglasses to avoid only high glares, rest of the time it should behave like plain glass, so that we don't have to worry whether the opposite person dims the headlight of not.
Old 10th April 2008, 17:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I wish if we have some technology to wear sunglasses to avoid only high glares, rest of the time it should behave like plain glass, so that we don't have to worry whether the opposite person dims the headlight of not.

That should not be too far off as we already have photoreactive lenses. All that remains is to speed up the change-over time. Perhaps it could be applied to the windshield.
However, me thinks better to fix the problem at the source rather than add on corrective technology.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd simply sell them dad's design and rights and give him the money (and the pleasure of knowing all that effort was not in vain).
Well..friend..we need to talk! Seriously.

Cheers
Old 11th April 2008, 13:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
What about people who wear spectacles to correct their sights? This idea may not work for all as the sunglasses has to be worn by those who do not have problem in their eyes. But yes, its a good idea to ponder though.
Old 11th April 2008, 13:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Auto headlight dimmer in simplest form

Automatic Headlight Brightness Switch
Old 11th April 2008, 13:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
That should not be too far off as we already have photoreactive lenses. All that remains is to speed up the change-over time. Perhaps it could be applied to the windshield.
However, me thinks better to fix the problem at the source rather than add on corrective technology.
The present photo reactive lenses block out all light. So even of the reaction time is significantyl reduced, it would just reduce the amount of light that comes to your eyes. That would not help you see objects better at night. In fact it might make it more difficult.

The other option is polarized lenses.

There was a proposal in the US a long time back to make the head lamps of vehicles with polarised glass, in one orientation.

then the windscreen of all cars will also be polarised, but at 90 degrees to the headlights.

I hope you get what i mean. Not too sure why it was dropped.

It makes sense to atleast make all headlights polarized.
Then people have the option of using polarized eyewear.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Well..friend..we need to talk! Seriously.

Cheers
Done, Sir. PMd you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
What about people who wear spectacles to correct their sights? This idea may not work for all as the sunglasses has to be worn by those who do not have problem in their eyes. But yes, its a good idea to ponder though.
Brings up a good point: at which end do we put in corrective technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Auto headlight dimmer in simplest form

Automatic Headlight Brightness Switch
Thanks, SirAlec.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
The present photo reactive lenses block out all light. So even of the reaction time is significantyl reduced, it would just reduce the amount of light that comes to your eyes. That would not help you see objects better at night. In fact it might make it more difficult.

The other option is polarized lenses.

There was a proposal in the US a long time back to make the head lamps of vehicles with polarised glass, in one orientation.

then the windscreen of all cars will also be polarised, but at 90 degrees to the headlights.

I hope you get what i mean. Not too sure why it was dropped.

It makes sense to atleast make all headlights polarized.
Then people have the option of using polarized eyewear.
Sir, I do not agree. Photoreactive lenses do not block out all the light, just select frequencies of the spectrum. RayBan long ago made day-night lenses which were photosensitive...I believe they were called AmberMatic, and I've used them at night without compromising on visibility. In fact I've even watched movies in theatres with them on (and Bruce Willis did NOT look like Brooke Shields ).

I don't know how Polarised works.

Last edited by netchef : 11th April 2008 at 14:13.
Old 11th April 2008, 15:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My dad used to manufacture a H/L dipper in the 70s/80s. It comprised of a small ray-gun kind of device that mounted on the dashboard, and a control unit that went under. I don't recall specifics, but think it worked on an LDR (light dependent resistor) principle. Naturally, it could be set for distance/intensity of trigerring light, and used to work fine.
The tech is basic; I wonder why modern cars have not standardised this.
A product like this was introduced in 1978 in North India. However, it was not mounted on the dashboard but under the RHS headlight. It was a small box-like thing with a light sensor in the middle. It would lower the headlight beam automatically whenever light fell on it from the opposite direction. As soon as the light disappeared, it would restore high beam. The only car fitted with this device that I actually saw was my dad's official Ambassador but the driver wasn't too happy with it because it over-reacted at times, the sensor being too sensitive. The automatic beam dipping could be overcome by using the manual beam-dipping switch which in the case of Ambassador was foot operated in those days.

Much later, in late 1990s a similar device was talked about in press once again. This was named BHARAT RAKSHAK. From what I know, even this did not see the light of the day.

Given the moronic driving habits in this country, such a device would prove very useful provided:
  1. Its fitment is made compulsory at the manufacturers' end itself
  2. No manual over-riding is possible
Old 11th April 2008, 18:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

In the early 70's, one of our Ambassadors was fitted out with a smilar device. The sensor was in the front grille.

It used to work nicely. It also had a switch which would switch high / low beams in succession for overtaking purposes.

If available, I would fit one to all my vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks