Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:03   #16
BHPian

Wow, cool stuff The pistons & connecting rods look delicious ! Didn't Honda once make an engine with oval pistons for it's Moto-GP NSR-500s or something ?

To the experts, what are those injectors on top of the intake trumpets ? I've seen them on some YouTube videos as well, are they for water or methanol injection ? The attention to detail is awesome, even the cam lobes have been hollowed-out !?!
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:18   #17
BHPian

Nice pictures there Ford Rocam. The V10 engines are a site to watch. By the way are these engines way different than the regular V10s or the V8s doing duty in a normal street driven car!!??In terms of weight, etc?
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:04   #18
BHPian

Great work! Thanks for all these amazing pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
To the experts, what are those injectors on top of the intake trumpets ? I've seen them on some YouTube videos as well, are they for water or methanol injection ?
Ya, what are those injectors for?
Old 22nd April 2008, 22:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Nice pictures there Ford Rocam. The V10 engines are a site to watch. By the way are these engines way different than the regular V10s or the V8s doing duty in a normal street driven car!!??In terms of weight, etc?
Totally different, f1 engines are designed for higher rev 18000+ rpm so obviously things have to be lighter and stronger right from crankshaft to piston/rods etc..

for more info here's a superp technical article to read.

Formula One engines - F1technical.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustDevil View Post
Ya, what are those injectors for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
what are those injectors on top of the intake trumpets ? I've seen them on some YouTube videos as well, are they for water or methanol injection ? The attention to detail is awesome, even the cam lobes have been hollowed-out !?!
must be for fuel, see in circle the way injectors are positioned, aimed directly in to the combustion chamber when intake valve opens.

Watch this video you can see actual injectors at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1 Engine pics-ferrari_f1_2000_24ci_neu_inj.jpg  

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 22nd April 2008 at 22:18. Reason: added video link
Old 22nd April 2008, 22:22   #20
BHPian

wow, great stuff here. Many thanks Rocam for sharing this. As Sankar said look at those mini skirts! Wish I could get one to place on my desk.
Old 22nd April 2008, 23:49   #21
BHPian

woow that renault video s super cool
Old 23rd April 2008, 15:49   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks delicious enough to eat! Now imagine that piece of art working at 19,000 rpm.
Old 23rd April 2008, 22:08   #23
BHPian

great pctures man.

thanx.

anyone knows why the cylinder block top portion is covered with carbon fibre ?
Old 24th April 2008, 04:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice...! Those port angles are simply outta this world...!! I've never seen a more obtuse angle on a head...

Weird rockers, though. Innovative. Presumably lighter than the Desmodromics to prevent valve float, & use a single pivot....sahi dimaag, yaar....

Any idea why the poppet/valve guides are designed such? I don't see no springs, so how's the actuation? Purely pneumatic? Hydraulic? And those pistons...just 2 rings...?
Old 24th April 2008, 13:05   #25
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Nice...! Those port angles are simply outta this world...!! I've never seen a more obtuse angle on a head...

Weird rockers, though. Innovative. Presumably lighter than the Desmodromics to prevent valve float, & use a single pivot....sahi dimaag, yaar....

Any idea why the poppet/valve guides are designed such? I don't see no springs, so how's the actuation? Purely pneumatic? Hydraulic? And those pistons...just 2 rings...?
Yeah, only a compression ring and a oil ring set. These motors don't need to last that long(relatively), and I'm guessing it has almost no ring gap(purely a guess).

The stroke(or lack thereof)is amazing, it's easy to see how they can achieve the 19k rpms. They make all(again relative..) the displacement from bore size.

And I'm not sure what the question about the carbon fiber top is asking about exactly, but I'm guessing you are talking about the bottom of what would be the intake manifold(for lack of better words)which surround the carbon fiber intake horns. Another section goes on top to complete a large intake plenum I would guess.

Something like this maybe(and I think this one is missing some scoop or something that sits on top I think):
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1 Engine pics-p1050578-medium.jpg  

Old 24th April 2008, 14:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Whoa....Now that is some great stuff there. I can only imagine the roar from the engine.
Thanks for sharing.

X
Old 24th April 2008, 14:09   #27
BHPian

Super pics gives a good learning on how the F1 car runs
Old 25th April 2008, 00:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post

Yeah the first thing that hit me in the face was the ultra-narrow valve angle and the super-high lift on the cam lobe. Second was the piston which likely has a bore-stroke ratio of 2.5 or more.

You're right about the pneumatic actuation, in the penultimate picture in post #1, you can see how there's a pneumatic port (1) that's pressurized to act as a spring. The bottom half of the bucket is fixed and top half moves with the cam lobe and valve. Springs would simply fatigue or bounce becuase of their inertia. Air actuation guarantees the least inertia for the cam follower.
Old 14th May 2008, 09:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

In the regular engines the injector is placed close to the valves and after the throttle valve; but in the F1 engine why are the injectors placed at the entry point of the velocity stack and before the throttle plate? Is it for better atomisation and for what other reason? And is there a secondary injector after the throttle plate?

The 'lack' of port angle is amazing.
Old 14th May 2008, 11:05   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it 100% genuine ?

I have never heard of Carbon Fibre being used in the engine !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks