Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2008, 22:11   #1
BHPian

ABS light comes ON after 150kmph

Hi Guys,
I had done Bangalore Nandi Hills a fortnight back.I took my car over 150 on the 6 lane highway several times.
Now once the speed crosses 150 The ABS light on the instrument panel comes On and it dosnt go Off even when I lowered the speed. I had to switch of the engine and again start for the Light to go off.
I don't know what is the problem of is this done for a safety purpose for a speed above 150. Anyone facing a similar issue.Please help.

My Car is Accent Viva petrol with ABS.
Old 24th April 2008, 23:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go straight to hyundai and get it checked. If ur regularly doing 3 digit speeds its best not to take a chance with the brakes. If the abs fails you will still be able to brake but braking distance will increase.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 24th April 2008 at 23:37.
Old 24th April 2008, 23:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Go straight to hyundai and get it checked. If ur regularly doing 3 digit speeds its best not to take a chance with the brakes. If the abs fails you will still be able to brake but braking distance will increase.
Is it? I have read on other forums here that ABS does not reduce braking distance.
Old 25th April 2008, 00:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Same happened with me. Ealier I had VIVA the abs and Hand brake lights come when I exceed speed excess of 160 km/hr. But similar thing happened with my Swift which also has ABS. Maybe the abs stops working after that speeds.
Old 25th April 2008, 00:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Could be a problem with the ECU. Try re-setting it. If that fails, go to Hyundai A.S.S and do a scan. ABS should function at all speeds.
Old 25th April 2008, 01:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Maybe the abs stops working after that speeds.
LBM a safety system is surely not designed to give up on you when you need it the most.
Old 25th April 2008, 03:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Is it? I have read on other forums here that ABS does not reduce braking distance.
That's a debatable issue depending on what sort of situation you're facing - while having to brake.
ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is designed to do just that - prevent your wheels from locking up!
The braking distance also depends on a lot of external factors - some of which include the condition of your tyres, and the road surface you're driving on.
Old 25th April 2008, 08:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
That's a debatable issue depending on what sort of situation you're facing - while having to brake.
ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is designed to do just that - prevent your wheels from locking up!
The braking distance also depends on a lot of external factors - some of which include the condition of your tyres, and the road surface you're driving on.

That's right. Since rolling friction is better than sliding friction, breaking distance reduces significantly in slippery surfaces due to ABS.

Some people think that breaking an ABS car in all circumstances has better breaking effect than a non-ABS car. It is not like that. Both breaking effects are exactly the same if the wheels are not locking up. ABS kicks in only when wheels are just getting locked up.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th April 2008 at 08:06.
Old 25th April 2008, 09:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Some people think that breaking an ABS car in all circumstances has better breaking effect than a non-ABS car.
May be because some cars are unbreakable while some are not. Jokes apart,I suppose ABS will increase the BRAKING distance in extremely slippery conditions,all though it provides better control over steering the car.
Old 25th April 2008, 10:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Rightly, ABS helps you to maneuver better under sudden braking conditions. It does not increase or decrease the braking distance.

In fact in the Safari manual its clearly mentioned that ABS will not reduce braking distance.

But all this is and for this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
May be because some cars are unbreakable while some are not. Jokes apart,I suppose ABS will increase the BRAKING distance in extremely slippery conditions,all though it provides better control over steering the car.
Old 25th April 2008, 10:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
A well calibrated ABS will stop the vehicle in a shorter distance than it would take with the wheels locked up. But some drivers can accurately modulate brake pressure in non ABS vehicles to keep the tyres rotating, manage to stop the quickest. This is called threshold braking.

ABS is less effective on loose surfaces.
Old 25th April 2008, 10:10   #12
Team-BHP Support

Probably the sensors can't keep up with the speed - might be dirt on the sensros
Old 25th April 2008, 10:54   #13
BHPian

The light comes on as soon as I cross 150 but the hand brake light i have not come across.
And this light goes of only when I stop and restart the engine.

Btw how to reset the ECU I have no idea
Old 25th April 2008, 11:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomingbhat View Post
The light comes on as soon as I cross 150 but the hand brake light i have not come across.
And this light goes of only when I stop and restart the engine.

Btw how to reset the ECU I have no idea
You have get it done in the service center i guess, they will connect the scanner to the ECU and can reset it
Old 25th April 2008, 11:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

disconnecting the battery for some 15 mins will reset the ECU.

please correct me if I am wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks